Would you have bought the pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've always noticed, mom and pop places are always rude and douchey whereas chains are not. You'd think it would be the other way around. And mom and pops wonder why they go out of business.
Most chain owners or employees usually have a less vested interest in the business and the mom and pop places know you can't complain
to corporate....

Went to buy a pizza pie a few days ago. Looked at the menus on the table saw a pie was $16.75. So I ordered it.

When the cashier charged me. They charged $18 for the pie. So I asked them, why they’re charging me more?

The owner then went on a tangent about inflation, how everything is going up bla bla bla and that he hasn’t had time to update the menus.

I bought the pizza anyway, but I feel like I was duped. If you’re gonna charge more then put a sign somewhere or have the new menus ready before you increase the price
For what it just cost me in gas to get there, I'm not making a trip elsewhere! You know what they say..."Time is gas money!"

Something I've always noticed, mom and pop places are always rude and douchey whereas chains are not. You'd think it would be the other way around. And mom and pops wonder why they go out of business.
This is me nowadays, I used to try to help the ma and pops back in the day, but they always seem to have an F you attitude. I learned in my line of work, most of the time when you are dealing with the owner or owner's family, you are usually dealing with an arrogant D-bag, when you are at a chain or larger grocery store, you are dealing with an everyday Joe, who is usually 10 times more friendly and helpful than at a small business dealing with the owner who thinks he's God. It's all backwards of how it seemed to be when I was younger.

Went to buy a pizza pie a few days ago. Looked at the menus on the table saw a pie was $16.75. So I ordered it.

When the cashier charged me. They charged $18 for the pie. So I asked them, why they’re charging me more?
I would have ended up paying $18.17 in New Hampshire, we have a insane 8.5% meals tax !

If those were transparency chitty prices up on the sign and easy to change - I would be mad.

You could likely make that pizza at home for 6 bucks. But yeah, I don't like running my gas oven at 500deg.F

Now, I gotta ask, was it a Large and what did you get on it ? 🍕🍕 😛

Most chain owners or employees usually have a less vested interest in the business and the mom and pop places know you can't complain
to corporate....
Unfortunately, you are correct. This is how they get their attitude problem, which subsequently runs customers off, which causes them to close their doors. And I'm supposed to have sympathy? Nope.

This is me nowadays, I used to try to help the ma and pops back in the day, but they always seem to have an F you attitude. I learned in my line of work, most of the time when you are dealing with the owner or owner's family, you are usually dealing with an arrogant D-bag, when you are at a chain or larger grocery store, you are dealing with an everyday Joe, who is usually 10 times more friendly and helpful than at a small business dealing with the owner who thinks he's God. It's all backwards of how it seemed to be when I was younger.

I work for a small business in the trades.

The worst thing to deal with, are people that think they know what they are doing, but really have no idea... And old guys that have too much time on their hands. A lot of the time they are one in the same. For some odd reason, I think a lot of bitogers are those types.

Chain tends to just close down instead of hanging onto bad businesses and get frustrated about it.

Years ago a chain burger joint was doing the same thing, but something like a 20% increase... The guy gave his story how expensive his location was, etc... When I mentioned informing the chain head office suddenly the prices were back to what was posted on the restaurant and advertised on TV. I still didn't go back though. Who knows what other corners he was cutting...

Last edited:
I wouldn't have cared at all.

I'll be in NYC in 10 days, I'm just surprised a pizza is only $18.
Not sure where it is but we usually get the cheap stuff at a buck a slice. Not great but good enough on the go.

Have fun there. I always enjoy going. It’s like visiting another planet, I mean I don’t have traffic lights in my town, so its a bit different.

If the menu has incorrect prices, it is up to the establishment to advise the customer when the order is placed. Assuming that the customer will understand, or not question the difference when paying is at a minimum, very rude.

I work for a small business in the trades.

The worst thing to deal with, are people that think they know what they are doing, but really have no idea... And old guys that have too much time on their hands. A lot of the time they are one in the same. For some odd reason, I think a lot of bitogers are those types.
I think we found our friendly small business example.

The owner then went on a tangent about inflation, how everything is going up bla bla bla and that he hasn’t had time to update the menus.

I bought the pizza anyway, but I feel like I was duped. If you’re gonna charge more then put a sign somewhere or have the new menus ready before you increase the price
No.

It’s not the $1.25 that’s the issue ,it’s the dishonesty and rudeness. Consumers vote with their dollar. Business owners need to realize that their customers basically sign their paycheck.

You guys touched on something I've thought for years. We complain about big-box corporate operations driving under small businesses, but many of small businesses deserved to fail because of the attitudes you describe.

Also, a lot of mom-and-pop operations employ only mom and pop. The argument that small businesses create all the new jobs is broadly false. Most of the new jobs they do create are low-wage service jobs as you would find in, well, pizza shops. Some people who should know better think that all the small businesses are high-tech startups paying employees big bucks. Few are.

It’s not the $1.25 that’s the issue ,it’s the dishonesty and rudeness. Consumers vote with their dollar. Business owners need to realize that their customers basically sign their paycheck.

The OP used the word menu, was it a menu or a signboard?

A menu is a lot harder to modify. Need to reprint them with new prices usually at a professional shop etc etc. A signboard at least they could put a new price over top of the old price. I suppose you could do that with menus but if you have like 100 of them...

Maybe he could have put a sign on the counter, all prices +10%. He probably could have done a lot of things, at the end of the day we're here talking about $1.25 and the OP feels ripped off, over $1.25, and making a post here about rather than just discussing it with the owner at the time.

As I said earlier to me it would make no difference if the pizza was $16.75 or $18 because I would have just given them a 20 and called it a day in either case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back