Would you have bought the pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were my business,I’d just type up a small sign visible to everyone as they walk in informing customers of a recent price raise,followed with the reason,and an “apology” per se. And of course ending the message with a “Thank you all for your loyalty,patronage,and business”.

I'm not sure I want to piss off the person that is serving me food, especially if I know I'll be back, don't forget they have control over what goes in and on your food. In high school my brother worked at a burger joint (Rusty's) and he told me what they use to do to customers they didn't like, it's a wonder I can eat out at all.

I'm on the principle's side here, it's not the $1.25 that would of bothered me but his attitude. A simple "sorry haven't had time to update the menu" would of worked for me.

I'd pay this small difference because already there and hungry, but for certain I'd be looking for another pizza joint because it is not much work or cost to just print up something on paper to put in the menus to notify about the price increase.
Something I've always noticed, mom and pop places are always rude and douchey whereas chains are not. You'd think it would be the other way around. And mom and pops wonder why they go out of business.
Mom and pop know they can't be fired, lol.

I'd have bought it and then put reviews online alerting other people about the price discrepancy. Then I'd probably never order from there again unless they were literally the only pizza place in town.

The OP used the word menu, was it a menu or a signboard?

A menu is a lot harder to modify. Need to reprint them with new prices usually at a professional shop etc etc. A signboard at least they could put a new price over top of the old price. I suppose you could do that with menus but if you have like 100 of them...

Maybe he could have put a sign on the counter, all prices +10%. He probably could have done a lot of things, at the end of the day we're here talking about $1.25 and the OP feels ripped off, over $1.25, and making a post here about rather than just discussing it with the owner at the time.

As I said earlier to me it would make no difference if the pizza was $16.75 or $18 because I would have just given them a 20 and called it a day in either case.
Menus can and do get fixed with ball point pens and tape. And most pizza places I’m aware of don’t have 100+ menus. Yes, it’s a buck 25. But in todays world, that buck adds up quickly. If, like you posted, he had done the 10% thing, or gave warning , then fine, I pay it or don’t order, but to shaft me afterwards? Nope. Because I’ll wonder what else your saving on.
now I’m gonna be paranoid everywhere I eat out to make sure I’m not getting nickel and dimed out of meals.

My local Walmart is pulling the same business. They’ve increased prices on most everything but haven’t changed all the price signs on the shelves. It’s shocking to see the actual % of increase on items if you calculate it. Crazy. Milk is up like 53%. I had a local independent pizza shop add an 18% tip to my bill when I walked in to pick up my pizza ordered over the phone. I went to pay with credit card and apparently they thought they would pull a fast one. We have never been back. Now that’s shady business.

I would have bought pizza and not made a big fuss about it.

Some places forget about increasing the price board / menu and I would understand.

Last edited:
Off topic:

I would sure hate to own a restaurant with everything that has happened to our economy in the past 3 years.

Lots of people have their life savings in their small business.

Off topic:

I would sure hate to own a restaurant with everything that has happened to our economy in the past 3 years.

Lots of people have their life savings in their small business.
It's not off topic. Restaurants are/ have been hurting and can't get staff and the OP is griping about $1.25. UNBELIEVABLE!

It's not off topic. Restaurants are/ have been hurting and can't get staff and the OP is griping about $1.25. UNBELIEVABLE!
He's not griping about the money, he's griping about the the price listed VS prices charged. I don't think he'd have an issue if he was charged what was listed, even if it was the $1.25 more.

The griping is about item pricing law. It's supposed to be the price posted. Otherwise you can post whatever price you like and use the same excuse, oh we forgot to change the price and charge whatever you like. If there's no penalty, there's no need to comply with item pricing. My plumber was like that sometimes, I noticed that the price was more if he needed the money more badly as there was some drama going on. I usually let him get away with it because he had given me some good deals in the past, but every once in a while I'd call him out on it if it was a little bit too high.

The griping is about item pricing law. It's supposed to be the price posted. Otherwise you can post whatever price you like and use the same excuse, oh we forgot to change the price and charge whatever you like. If there's no penalty, there's no need to comply with item pricing. My plumber was like that sometimes, I noticed that the price was more if he needed the money more badly as there was some drama going on. I usually let him get away with it because he had given me some good deals in the past, but every once in a while I'd call him out on it if it was a little bit too high.
Did your Plumber charge $1.25 more....$1.25......$1.25 ? I mean really.

Did your Plumber charge $1.25 more....$1.25......$1.25 ? I mean really.
The point was that he'd make up a number that didn't really relate to the job he did. He do one job and it'd take him the same or less time and he'd charge an extra $50-$100 more just because he was a little broke at the time.

Had lunch at a small diner today and got more food than we could eat, said to the owner going to need a to go box to which he said he had to increase prices across the menu so he added a little more food. Our response to rude people is to avoid them when we can. One time I said I won`t be back when they were arrogant.

I get the "principle" argument about this but come on... Cut the restaurant some slack, they made it through the pandemic in new york probably by the skin of their teeth. The owner probably cant find enough workers so he's probably working every day burning the candle on both ends. Then you add historic inflation rates we haven't seen in 40 years. It's possible that the guy just realized after last month's expenses that he's losing his a$$ and had to raise prices. It depends a lot on how the owner acted before the pandemic and inflation but this argument just seems petty over 1.25.

If the guy knows his menu needs to be updated and can't afford it....then a sign is the least he could do. If months go by? That is garbage and you know it. ALL customers should give him hell and not return.

It’s been reported that pizza is the most profitable food for a place to sell. The ingredients don’t add up to much and not a lot of equipment or skill is involved. I might have understood a STAT price hike on Lobster flown in, but not a $16.00 pizza.

Maybe he could have put a sign on the counter, all prices +10%. He probably could have done a lot of things, at the end of the day we're here talking about $1.25 and the OP feels ripped off, over $1.25, and making a post here about rather than just discussing it with the owner at the time.
I'm sure if anyone bought anything for their cars that for some surprise reason rang up 10% higher at the register, or in the on-line checkout they would probably be saying something about it too. Some people here cry when an oil filter or a 5 qt jug of oil goes up by 10% ... especially if they have already "bought" it and decide to just bend over and get it anyway.

Last edited:
I get the "principle" argument about this but come on... Cut the restaurant some slack, they made it through the pandemic in new york probably by the skin of their teeth. The owner probably cant find enough workers so he's probably working every day burning the candle on both ends. Then you add historic inflation rates we haven't seen in 40 years. It's possible that the guy just realized after last month's expenses that he's losing his a$$ and had to raise prices. It depends a lot on how the owner acted before the pandemic and inflation but this argument just seems petty over 1.25.
He's probably loosing is arse because he pulls fast ones on all the people that try him out ... never to come back again. You don't build a good clientele base by coming up with surprise costs on what's being sold. I certainly would not run a business like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back