Would you have bought the pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to buy a pizza pie a few days ago. Looked at the menus on the table saw a pie was $16.75. So I ordered it.

When the cashier charged me. They charged $18 for the pie. So I asked them, why they’re charging me more?

The owner then went on a tangent about inflation, how everything is going up bla bla bla and that he hasn’t had time to update the menus.

I bought the pizza anyway, but I feel like I was duped. If you’re gonna charge more then put a sign somewhere or have the new menus ready before you increase the price

Probably? I give local mom and pop shops a little more latitude on things like that. Of course, that depends on how they answer the question. If it is a 'ohh crap, I'm sorry we haven't had time to update those menu's etc etc. Then I'd be more ok with it.

If met with a take it or leave it attitude I might walk away, depends on how good it is, because.....pizza!!

Last edited:
Went to buy a pizza pie a few days ago. Looked at the menus on the table saw a pie was $16.75. So I ordered it.

When the cashier charged me. They charged $18 for the pie. So I asked them, why they’re charging me more?

The owner then went on a tangent about inflation, how everything is going up bla bla bla and that he hasn’t had time to update the menus.

I bought the pizza anyway, but I feel like I was duped. If you’re gonna charge more then put a sign somewhere or have the new menus ready before you increase the price

Nah, I'd have let them keep it. If he'd said before ringing it up or you browsing the menu, "Hey, by the way..."

Not bothering to inform customers shows a distinct lack of respect and indifference to the transaction and trust. In which case, I would NOT let them prepare my food... ;)

It's not so much the $1.25, but it's all the questions it brings up when they can't be bothered.

Nah, I'd have let them keep it. If he'd said before ringing it up or you browsing the menu, "Hey, by the way..."

Not bothering to inform customers shows a distinct lack of respect and indifference to the transaction and trust. In which case, I would NOT let them prepare my food... ;)

It's not so much the $1.25, but it's all the questions it brings up when they can't be bothered.
This sums up my feelings 100%, it's not about the money, it's more a matter of principle.

Bear in mind this incident happened in New York city, that part of the country behaves rather rudely relative to say, the south of the USA. What would be considered as rude in the South is perfectly normal up in the northeast of the USA and not considered as 'rude' behavior by their standards.

Technically a posted price, as on a menu, is a contract. You agreed to the contract price and then they pulled this stunt on the price. Legally this is a form of fraud. What else are they getting away with? Don't give them your business again. They sure gave you the "business".

Depends. Was the owner a **** before the pandemic? Was the pizza good? If it was a good pizza and he was not a **** before I'd go back. If he was a **** before this and the pizza sucks, then no way will I go back.

I have had this happen dozens of times in the last few years.
I had a Chinese joint charge me what i had in my hand..seriously...

So I started not to show my money until I heard her say what i owed
Eventually I quit going to those places.

What was worse was the portion sizes getting smaller and then shorting you on ingredients.
All part of the times which most likely will get worse.

If they serve notice of the price changes that is fine. If not it is shady.

I had this happen the last time I took my car to the dealership to have the oil changed, it normally cost a little over $50 to change, but the price was over $85, the dealership said nothing about the outrageous price change until after changing the oil, I paid, but I'm not happy with the lack of transparency, I only get it changed at the dealership because I want it to show up on my Carfax service records incase I try to sell it later down the line, I found it to be extremely shady that nothing was said until after the oil change, I would expect that from a car salesman, but not from the service shop at the dealership 🔧💸👎

The same thing happened to me on Memorial Day. My wife and I took the Corvette to a cemetery about 50 miles away from home. We stoped at a ma and pop shop bar and restaurant along a lake. The waitress said it was $6.00 for two beers and she charged me $7.75? I gave her a dollar tip anyway and thought maybe she wasn't quite right in the head if ya know what I mean. It's irritating but I don't let those little things annoy me too much or I would be irritated right away in the morning almost every day. There are always things that happen daily that could irate a person if you let it. Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh. :)

Bear in mind this incident happened in New York city, that part of the country behaves rather rudely relative to say, the south of the USA. What would be considered as rude in the South is perfectly normal up in the northeast of the USA and not considered as 'rude' behavior by their standards.
So this happened in Long Island near Riverhead NY, Not NYC. For those who don’t know, Eastern Long Island is more of a suburban area.

This pizzeria seemed like your typiacal “American” pizza joint. Sponsors the local kids baseball team etc

Last edited:
Legally, that is "bait and switch."
And not legal most places.

He should at least have some signs.

Where I live, in a store (at the very least), MARKED price (+tax) is what the buyer pays (- any DISCOUNT), no additions because you look like a tourist (Famous Mexico trick, for say beer at the store)

I would have just bought it. Maybe not go back. Legal or not, I’m not interested in arguing over a buck—if it really mattered to me, I wouldn’t eat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back