Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?

I'm currently re-using oil filters on several vehicles with low miles on the filter but 6-10 months on the filter. Seems wasteful to throw out a $10 filter when it's 10 months old but only 500 - 1000 miles on it. In the aggregate this is wasteful over time or many vehicles.

You should read this thread startng from the linked post. Oil filters can become less efficienct as they load up, and it starts way before the filter is totally loaded and close to bypass delta-p.

This linked thread has been the most useful. Is there any lab that can evaluate for filter efficiency, so as to know miles-in-use vs filter efficiency after being taken out of service?

I have a Honda Accord with one of those little filters. Any idea on how much oil that would be left in it after just changing the oil out?

Of course you could run a decent filter for two OCIs/15.000 mls/25.000 km
easily. But why should you? To save five or ten bucks?
Resusing filters carries the risk getting confused and maybe unintentionally
using it a third OCI. When you leave the filter in place you'll leave even more
dirty oil in your motor, so you're probably performing just a half oil change.
Unlikely, but not impossible the filter collapsed or someone before didn't fit
it correctly and you won't notice when you leave it.
My Mini (Purflux) and VW (Mann) use filters that are between 5 and 10 bucks.
Why should I be stingy with oil filters? My Porsche's OE filter is a little more,
but I'd even less want to skimp on it.
So in the end I'd say yes it's possible but it doesn't make much sense to me.
Perhaps some people also leave their dishwater in the sink to use it again the
next day . . . .

Of course you could run a decent filter for two OCIs/15.000 mls/25.000 km
easily. But why should you? To save five or ten bucks?
Resusing filters carries the risk getting confused and maybe unintentionally
using it a third OCI. When you leave the filter in place you'll leave even more
dirty oil in your motor, so you're probably performing just a half oil change.
Unlikely, but not impossible the filter collapsed or someone before didn't fit
it correctly and you won't notice when you leave it.
My Mini (Purflux) and VW (Mann) use filters that are between 5 and 10 bucks.
Why should I be stingy with oil filters? My Porsche's OE filter is a little more,
but I'd even less want to skimp on it.
So in the end I'd say yes it's possible but it doesn't make much sense to me.
Perhaps some people also leave their dishwater in the sink to use it again the
next day . . . .

1. I write the date on the filter so I know, and I keep detailed records. Unlikely to leave one on beyond intended OCIs.

2. If 1 oil filter can go 1 oil change 15,000 miles, how would it be worse off to go 2 oil changes at 5,000 miles each, totaling 10,000 miles? Not understanding this logic at all.

3. With each oil change, you're dumping ~90% of the oil, so an OC at 5k and another at 10k, is dumping most of the contaminants out. Sure some remain. But it's not 1/2 an oil change... and surely better than 1 OC at 15k miles.

^^^ Yeah, not half the oil in the filter. More like 8~10 oz.

I don't like to write anything onto filter housings. It would look ugly
and I prefer my dealers not to know that I do intermediate changes
myself, as I let them do the regular (OLM) services. Mini and GTI use
cartridge filters sitting beneath a plastic cap. Granted, you couldn't
know that.

I already explained it. No need to repeat that.

Most is nice, almost all is better. Do you always perform just 'most' of
a job? I expected someone to take the word 'half' literally. I even had
an idea who, Charles. 😇

I used to be a naysayer. Nowadays the MityVac makes 5KOCI services neat and easy.
Swap that filter every 2nd or 3rd time. Even on a $60K Lexus GS350 F Sport.
I think I let one go for over 20K. Pulled it off and it wasn't too heavy at all.

As @CharlesInCharge sez, a simple Excel spreadsheet keeps me honest.
All good.

Charles, not on manuals. You'll commonly get about 75 % of the old oil out of them.
That said transmissions are a completely different matter. There's no fuel burned in them.

Typical car, say 6qt oil. Probably 1/2 qt left in block. Maybe 1/2 qt. left in filter. You're talking abotu 8% left in the filter. It's not even enough to worry about, if consistently done every other oil change.

My oil filters are $5 or $10. I have nearly a dozen vehicles, on bi-annual changes. That's $60-120 per 6 months throwing away good filters. Throwing away $1000+ every decade. Nah.

I get more use from the filters with every 2nd or 3rd OCI change. We aren't talking trivial money, this is thousands of dollars over the life of my fleet. That's the cost of a whole new/used good vehicle in the trash by OVER-REPLACING serviceable filters. Nuts.

"Would you ever use the same oil filter more than twice?".................... The way stuff is disappearing from the shelves these days, we might just have to.... Like it or not.

It seems every time I go to my local Wal-Mart, there is less and less product on the shelves. This has been especially true in the automotive section. There is getting to be more and more bare shelving every time I go into the joint.

I normally keep a good stock of oil and filters on hand for all of my vehicles. Now I'm expanding on that all the more. This is really starting to get bad. And I fear it's going to get much worse, before it gets any better.

I understand that good hi capacity filters like a Fram Ultra, Bosch Distance Plus etc are probably good to 15-20k miles and could be safely used for 2 oil changes (not 3+). But even with this fact, I still never reuse a filter. New oil + NEW filter everytime.

Given the current state of the supply chain we all may be running 20k mile oil changes and using filters 2x.....

Back