Would you buy a broken car to rebuild for your teen?

I am thinking a bit ahead about this as she isn't even close to 16 yet but is it worth buying a broken(bad motor/trans) an rebuilding it for your teen? I immediately went to a Corolla/Camry or Civic/Accord or Golf/Jetta. It just popped in my head since she starts high school next year and I know I will not like being a chauffeur, My thought is also knowing it shouldn't break mechanically for the foreseeable future.

Broken? No. Good used example, that gets some love and reliability work?

Every time.

I’ve done this three times, and I am working on the fourth.

Inexpensive, solid car. New brakes, suspension work, tires, engine work, including timing belt, plugs, etc. and then put in service.

Each of the kids has enjoyed several years of service from their cars.

I went into some detail on my approach here:

Post in thread 'HELP! The car loan was denied after I already bought the car!?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-i-already-bought-the-car.366582/post-6426002

Last edited:

Every time.

Inexpensive, solid car. New brakes, suspension work, tires, engine work, including timing belt, plugs, etc. and then put in service.
This.

Excellent opportunity to expose them to fixing things themselves, and the importance of maintenance. Kids tend to take better care of things when they have some skin in the game.

Every time.

Each of the kids has enjoyed several years of service from their cars.

I went into some detail on my approach here:
Consequently I toyed with buying her a Volvo 240 as joke but not really as I doubt there are any solid ones near me.

Buy a salvage title hail damaged car and learn how to take the dents out yourself or leave it as is or even make it "good enough." There are always plenty of them out there for sale with all the storms nationwide.

Consequently I toyed with buying her a Volvo 240 as joke but not really as I doubt there are any solid ones near me.
You might want to talk with @Sam_Julier - he keeps finding nice 240s. I hear they’re coming back in style as retro-cool…. 😉

I am fan of the Volvo P2 chassis.

Known issues are front lower control arm bushings, engine mounts, subframe mounts, and transmission valve bodies in 2001-2002. Timing belt engine, so, make sure that’s updated.

On the other hand, once those issues are addressed, you have a rust resistant body, great seats, excellent safety record, good brakes, and a reliable, durable engine.

I did get my step son a Mercedes W124 - a 1992 300E Sportline. It had 73,000 on it. Beautiful condition, Florida car. $5,000 purchase in 2010. I fixed all the issues it had (and there were several) for about $1,500 in parts. He drove it for 9 years and 100,000 miles before it was wrecked in an ice storm.

Same approach as the Volvo fleet - solid fundamentals, like body, interior and power train - in need of some love, with a water pump leak, inoperative gas gauge, worn brakes, knackered suspension parts, and few other minor issues.

The thing I really liked about that MB was that it was both safe and cool. He loved that car. It had a classic look. But it was most important to his Mom and I that his first car was a safe one.

The ice storm proved the wisdom of that priority.

Last edited:
I would try to find a Corolla or Civic. Not broken but may need some TLC.
My niece needed rotors and pads on her Cavalier. Said I would work on them, $100 labor and she paid the parts, or free labor if she helped.
She helped and learned more about how cars work.

But it was most important to his Mom and I that his first car was a safe one.
This seems to be overlooked in any first car conversation. Look at safety ratings and safety equipment. New drivers have wrecks.

Generally I can't see swapping engines/transmissions as a good life skill for a daughter (or son) unless she's already showing interest in mechanical things. Don't bother pulling out the sexist card here. Everyday things like changing oil, wiper blades, changing tires, even plugs&wires etc. will benefit more. OP didn't mention daughter fixing the car with him.

Dad, muscle car fan, offered to help me by a car if we got something that needed work. Wasn't thrilled by my choice, but went along. Really gave me an appreciation for his help and support.

My first car, in 1982, was an inexpensive TR6 that needed a comprehensive refresh; brakes, hoses, few bushings, water pump, alternator, pretty much every seal.... Still use the skills I learned and wouldn't trade the time with Dad and Uncle for anything.

Safe?? Probably should have been on someone's mind :)

Dad, muscle car fan, offered to help me by a car if we got something that needed work. Wasn't thrilled by my choice, but went along. Really gave me an appreciation for his help and support.

My first car, in 1982, was an inexpensive TR6 that needed a comprehensive refresh; brakes, hoses, few bushings, water pump, alternator, pretty much every seal.... Still use the skills I learned and wouldn't trade the time with Dad and Uncle for anything.

Safe?? Probably should have been on someone's mind :)
OMG I lusted after the TR4A and TR6... What about an AH 3000? A friend had one with 327 running gear...

Plenty of solid ones out there. Including one in SLC that I looked at last week. Haven't made a decision on it as I don’t have a customer for it at this moment. These cars are stone simple. Parts are easy to purchase and relatively inexpensive.

I’m happy to help you in any way I can. Feel free to PM me.

Sam

You're not finding a solid one for cheap any more. The one I sold last month on BaT did over $5K.

Dad and I bought my first car when I was 15. It was slightly imperfect. It was drivable, but trans didn't have 2nd gear, it had two bad tires, plus several other smaller issues. I did help on the purchase of it, with some of my own money.

There were some "incentives" with it as well. If I stayed on the honor roll, my parents would pay for the liability insurance and the license plates for it.

I did a lot of the work on it myself, to get it road ready.

Two things were understood:
1) Make it last as long as you can.... you're only getting help on this first one.
2) If you total it and its your own stupid fault... you're back to riding the bicycle.

I still own it to this day.

Got my teen a CRV recently, needed ball joints, control arms, TREs, valve cover gasket, plugs, VTEC/spool valve gaskets, front rotors, window regulator, door lock actuators, new stereo, starter. I think that's it. I'm fine with maintenance stuff but a running/driving vehicle to start with is a must.

Have you considered a small SUV like Rav4, CrV, Sorento or Escape? She can use that all the way through college. SUV can howl a lot of things (personal belongings) when she gets accepted to different colleges around the country. Why buy a broken one? Shop around right now and start looking for a good dependable, cheap, working, SUV or 4 door sedan.

Last edited:
Back