Would you buy a broken car to rebuild for your teen?

buying a broken(bad motor/trans) an rebuilding it for your teen?
She has been warned to a point that Dad will help you out absolutely but you need to be capable of helping yourself first. We had a informative session that last time I did my brakes. I hope it hits home.
That type of work is way to unique and 95% of the public has no need to know how to do that. Check oil level or change oil and filter ? Sure. Replace filters ? Sure. Even brakes - for safety reasons - are something many everyday people have no interest in doing. Swap engine or transmission ? 😂😂😂

Got my teen a CRV recently, needed ball joints, control arms, TREs, valve cover gasket, plugs, VTEC/spool valve gaskets, front rotors, window regulator, door lock actuators, new stereo, starter. I think that's it. I'm fine with maintenance stuff but a running/driving vehicle to start with is a must.
That’s similar to what I did with my son’s 1975 ‘02; I rebuilt the cooling system, replaced the heater box, installed E21 Recaros, fitted new seat belts and upgraded the head unit/speakers.

I did fix up an old car for a kid. Back in 1997-ish, I bought a 1983 AMC Concord that needed attention. Why a Concord? My daughter's grandmother, who was about to quit driving, wanted my daughter to have her showroom condition mint green 1974 AMC Hornet. Three days before my mother planned to stop driving, she turned left in front of a minivan.

The Hornet had been maintained by my cousin who ran a Mercedes, Ferrari & Porsche garage out of state, before my mother moved here. He could find parts--such as NOS spring perches--that nobody else could.

I had the smashed Hornet towed home and found the Concord for sale. (I didn't know about a friend with a frame straightener then.:mad:) 80% of the undamaged parts from the Hornet fit the Concord. I had to rebuild the Concord's front end, using a kit from Kantor. I gave the spring perches to a local AMC club member, along with the seats and some miscellaneous unobtainable things. I needed to reseal the Concord's head. The AMC club member died, and the car was shipped to New Zealand by his nephew where it's still in use.

My daughter didn't like the Concord's front disc brakes. I wonder how well she would have gotten along with the Hornet's front drum brakes. But the Concord was the ultimate urban defense vehicle, especially after I updated the ignition system to a GM HEI system, which set the Carter BBD into a single position.

Generally I can't see swapping engines/transmissions as a good life skill for a daughter (or son) unless she's already showing interest in mechanical things. Don't bother pulling out the sexist card here. Everyday things like changing oil, wiper blades, changing tires, even plugs&wires etc. will benefit more. OP didn't mention daughter fixing the car with him.
This. Every driver should have a basic understanding of the vehicle's mechanical systems and how to perform basic safety/functionality inspections.

However, learning how to perform routine maintenance and/or light repair is not always a necessary life skill. This really depends on the person's career path and life interests.

I think that's absolutely a great idea. Somewhere along the line, it seemed to have become fashionable to a) get a 16 y.o. a Mustang GT (heard this 3X in the office 10 years ago). b) not get the mustang but buy a 16 y.o. a Toyota Hybrid i.e. camry/rav4/highlander. I personally don't agree with the above and have always wondered what the motive was for doing so. A 16 should drive junk imho. A cliche, but it builds character. Today, if a person helps another with a jump start or changing a tire, it's as if they're a national hero and worthy of the evening news. There's more to life than having everything handed to a teen and being expert on World of Warcraft. But that's me.

My coworker in 2015: Before either my son or daughter drives a car, they will:

1. learn to change an engine's oil
  2. learn to change a flat tire
  3. learn to drive a manual
I said that's great!

In 2017--son turned 16, learned none of the above, and got a Mustang GT automatic

:ROFLMAO:

I did a couple when I was very young, and what I found both times was everything else was shot also. The same lack of maintenance that wrecked the engine / trans wore everything else out as well.

If you can find one thats not beat, and pay about scrap value or a little more, and don't value your time at all - then sure.

Have you considered a small SUV like Rav4, CrV, Sorento or Escape? She can use that all the way through college. SUV can howl a lot of things (personal belongings) when she gets accepted to different colleges around the country. Why buy a broken one? Shop around right now and start looking for a good dependable, cheap, working, SUV or 4 door sedan.
I’m tempted to do this, for these reasons. But I know she isn’t a fan, because of the issues of cleaning snow off it. Tough life I know. But CUV is pretty common now, and does have more space for future college needs. She might be stuck with one.

Am waiting for the spring thaw, then planning to get serious about looking.

I like the idea of working with my kids, but motivating someone to do/learn something when they are not interested just isn’t a skill I have. Ask me something about what I know, engage me with questions, and its a diff story.

Don't be insulted if it doesn't pan out
My dad (I love him) but he was having a senior moment when he acquired this Bonneville that he thought would've made a good first car/project for me
IMG_20150208_122339293.jpg

IMG_20150208_103234915.jpg

IMG_20150222_155633775_HDR.jpg

Garbage was an understatement, in hindsight even he admits it was a bad idea, he doesn't know what he was thinking
Luckily I was able to buy grandpa's far superior Camry, and here we are 8y/200k later
That '02 Bonneville didn't stand a chance

An important thing for new and soon to be new drivers is to get them exposed to driving way before their first time in a car out on the street.

Take them to a go-kart course, an empty parking lot, have them drive the riding lawn mower, etc. I had lots of experience driving the riding mower, farm tractors, go-karts and ATVs long before I ever sat in the driver seat of a car, and I was much more comfortable because of that. My parents also took me to a large empty parking lot before I had my permit. My younger sisters didn't have any of those things, and they were extremely nervous and hesitant to start driving.

Broken? No. Good used example, that gets some love and reliability work?

Every time.

I’ve done this three times, and I am working on the fourth.

Inexpensive, solid car. New brakes, suspension work, tires, engine work, including timing belt, plugs, etc. and then put in service.

Each of the kids has enjoyed several years of service from their cars.

I went into some detail on my approach here:

Post in thread 'HELP! The car loan was denied after I already bought the car!?'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-i-already-bought-the-car.366582/post-6426002
Needs Repair? Maybe. Broken? No. Parts on modern cars are TOO expensive and the parts and labor frequently exceed the value of the vehicle. Also many modern cars are nearly impossible to work on. I wouldn't buy one to rebuild or to repair unless I knew exactly what parts needed and what kind of work was involved.

For those not mechanically inclined, the smart thing is to buy an unpopular car that is reliable.

Most Mitsubishis, pre-GDI Kias and Hyundais, defunct mid-to-full-size American cars that are easy to drive, and most Swedish models will work as long as you have an independent mechanic that isn't in the yacht business.

Most teenagers don't need or want a car these days unless they commute to school. Both of my kids don't have cars but they live on campus. They also have scholarships. So in my mind at least they earned the luxury of having a car whenever they need one at my dealership. Other than school breaks they usually don't care to have one.

The CX-5 was purchased for a soon-to-be 16yo. It needed a lower control arm due to a bad ball joint and the usual 60k mile maintenance. He's almost 18 now and has taken care of it. Rather than damaged, just get something solid and run through maintenance with them.

Kids are cynical. Get her a broken car (especially with something major that is broken, like an engine or transmission) and you'll be hearing about it forever.

My first car had been my grandma's and it was completely worn out, rusted and neglected. Totally unsafe. I did the best I could with it but it was only after about three years of driving it did I learn the REAL reason my grandma had retired it... She was worried that exhaust fumes were getting into it and making her woozy! Nice of them to mention it beforehand. Not.

Buy something resellable or the entire value you don’t care about throwing away if it does not work out.

My friend ended up selling the vehicle he bought for her (17) because she rarely drove and had no interest. The $10k(precovid) Jetta went for $18k in madness.

Sorry, lol

When you type something online, in your head it sounds like your intended meaning but typed out it obviously doesn't because you guys aren't mind readers so my apologies.

I meant broken to ease my purchasing cost not to teach her how to rebuild an engine. Although she will learn the basics of maintenance especially if she goes far away for school. Hence my "Dad can't always save you" comment. Currently it's a good 15min drive to her intended high school from the house either backroads/city or highway.

I also did think about older Escapes & CR-Vs as well. My MIL's Escape(2010) while having some electrical issues with locks was solid mechanically and was a decent car to drive.

Like others I want to get something in the works now so I can trust the car before she gets to use it.

An important thing for new and soon to be new drivers is to get them exposed to driving way before their first time in a car out on the street.

Take them to a go-kart course, an empty parking lot, have them drive the riding lawn mower, etc. I had lots of experience driving the riding mower, farm tractors, go-karts and ATVs long before I ever sat in the driver seat of a car, and I was much more comfortable because of that. My parents also took me to a large empty parking lot before I had my permit. My younger sisters didn't have any of those things, and they were extremely nervous and hesitant to start driving.
I sent my son to the two day teen school at the BMW Performance Center in SC; a few months later I sent him to Street Survival so he could learn how the ‘02 handled at the limit.

Back