Would like to buy a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
While I believe Ford is better than Chevy, (except ecoboost) most of the time. Toyota comes out on top with reliability.

I'm not claiming Toyota is a tougher truck, it's not. Nor is it more capable. But for general use, it is more reliable.

VDVHWnQ.jpg

For how most half tons get treated, not a bad trade for some--it is why I went that route. Higher price of admission though, and in the used market they are all a gamble.

I'd like to add:

Just because my 2011 Ecoboost (work truck) has been 100% reliable does not mean others have not had massive trouble.

My point is this. My reliable Fords may be due to A) good care, B) good luck, C) where and how I use them.

The very same goes for other brands. That's why I prefer objective long term reliability data, not specific examples.

My VW Jetta TDI experience was horrific. AND, it mirrored what others experienced on Truedelta and other sites.

TrueDelta? Eh it is just ok it Surveys it 99,000 members for data.

Based off how many cars are sold each years they don't even scratch the surface. It is one source.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
My 08 4.6L (in signature) had the plugs changed out under warranty due to a misfire. Two of them had to be extracted, and this was with approximately 30k miles on it. A few months later it went back in for a bad exhaust manifold leak and the tech snapped the rear most stud off, so the engine had to be yanked. Then there's been the 5 or 6 coil packs (all OEM) that have been replaced, both wheel bearings, the altenator, and starter. Both front calipers stuck. All the above happened under warranty. The entire harness for the AWD system had to be replaced on my dime when they finally figured out it was the culprit behind every single component related to the AWD system getting fried. Luckily the warranty covered all the parts except the harness, which cost me $1500. And that's just one of the Fords Ive owned, every other has yielded similar problems.

Does anyone know which Ford engines are subject to plug ejection and removal problems or to exhaust manifold and stud issues. Or even better are there years and displacements that are "good" (better anyway).

I'm not opposed to buying a really old truck (20 years or more) though I don't want to pay a premium for collectability. I'm thinking a lot of these problems are due to aluminum heads and such and I don't mind going back in years to get cast iron.

By the way are Ford manual transmissions any good? I don't suppose they're very common. I generally prefer a manual transmission but I realize I may not be able to find one in a good used truck.

Originally Posted By: supton
Toyota comes out on top with reliability.

...for general use, it is more reliable.

For how most half tons get treated, not a bad trade for some ....Higher price of admission though, and in the used market they are all a gamble.

I'm certainly not looking for heavy hauling capability, and I've had Toyota cars so I'm familiar with their reliability. In general hardly anything breaks.

I don't suppose they're more of a gamble than any of the big three, though if you pay a premium price in the used market I suppose you are gambling you'll get the reliability, and hoping it hasn't been abused.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Many recommend an inline 6 cylinder that may be up to 20 years old...with 20 year old technology wrapped around it.

... could compromise, especially with being able to haul a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood and get a mid size.

... could find a low mileage Tacoma in the $15K range that would fit your bill since it appears your towing demands wouldn't be that high.

Also consider getting a trailer for those times when you need to haul the plywood.

All good points.

I don't mind 20 year old technology as long as I can get reliability. I'd probably be more comfortable wrenching on older stuff too. But I would want something that's decent looking. It'll be parked right beside the house and I don't want the neighbours complaining about junk parked in my yard.

I agree my towing needs aren't that great.

I haven't given much thought to a mid size but overall I'd prefer a one vehicle solution and not have to use a trailer. A utility trailer would be just one more thing to have to park. I could even put a hitch on my BMW and haul a trailer around with that (BMW actually makes a good trailer hitch and my 528i is rated for 2500 or 3500# in Europe) but I'd have to cut holes in the bumper fascia and I'd rather not.

I was really impressed with how much abuse the Toyota Hilux (which seems to be pretty much a Tacoma) took on Top Gear so I should think about one of those. They're driven pretty much all over the world with little upkeep. But that gets me back to the mid sized truck issue.

Ford used DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold on the 2-valve SOHC 4.6L engines beginning in 96. There were so many failed intakes there was a class action lawsuit and Ford had to replace them with an upgraded intake with an aluminum coolant crossover.

Then the lovely 2 piece spark plug issue which was common in the 96-08 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L 2 valve engines. 3 valve engines between 04-08 also were vulnerable. These problems had nothing to due with lack of maintenance or owner neglect, Ford was forced to comply with the class action lawsuit on the manifolds and they dealt with the spark plug issue with an authorized repair procedure which was the LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit. If all these plug problems and intake problems were due to owner neglect Ford would simply have told its customers to pound salt.
All vehicles under warranty such as our 30k mile engine got NEW heads. Ford would not authorize the lock n stitch while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Toyota comes out on top with reliability.

...for general use, it is more reliable.

For how most half tons get treated, not a bad trade for some ....Higher price of admission though, and in the used market they are all a gamble.

I'm certainly not looking for heavy hauling capability, and I've had Toyota cars so I'm familiar with their reliability. In general hardly anything breaks.

I don't suppose they're more of a gamble than any of the big three, though if you pay a premium price in the used market I suppose you are gambling you'll get the reliability, and hoping it hasn't been abused.

In your price range / year though you gotta be real careful: Toyota likes to rust. No end to those issues. If you can find one that a dealer replaced the frame on, great; it seems I have yet to hear of a complaint about a dealer doing a poor job of replacing the frame. Despite it being a major takes. I guess the techs are well practiced now... But rust is bad and Toyota is well known for it.

The T100 is panned as too small, and the 1st gen Tundra was too. Neither were great on fuel economy. The 3.4 and 4.7 are no power houses, and require timing belts every 100k. 2nd gen Tundra will cost more, early ones still had the 4.7, and they have their little problems (2010+ steering racks, rear diffs, front diffs, water pumps, and now something about... get this, rust in the bed around the bolts).

I was really impressed with how much abuse the Toyota Hilux (which seems to be pretty much a Tacoma) took on Top Gear so I should think about one of those. They're driven pretty much all over the world with little upkeep. But that gets me back to the mid sized truck issue.

Kinda on the small side, and I've heard complaints about soft rear springs, not really rated for work (perhaps that is for the fancy-looking 4x4's though).

Top Gear is entertaining, but unless if you plan to drive under the ocean, down a flight of stairs or use an excavator to locate your truck after using an unwise parking location, I'm not sure how much value I place in their review.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Ford used DuPont Zytel nylon-composite intake manifold on the 2-valve SOHC 4.6L engines beginning in 96. There were so many failed intakes there was a class action lawsuit and Ford had to replace them with an upgraded intake with an aluminum coolant crossover.

Then the lovely 2 piece spark plug issue which was common in the 96-08 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L 2 valve engines. 3 valve engines between 04-08 also were vulnerable. These problems had nothing to due with lack of maintenance or owner neglect, Ford was forced to comply with the class action lawsuit on the manifolds and they dealt with the spark plug issue with an authorized repair procedure which was the LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit. If all these plug problems and intake problems were due to owner neglect Ford would simply have told its customers to pound salt.
All vehicles under warranty such as our 30k mile engine got NEW heads. Ford would not authorize the lock n stitch while under warranty.

Great information. Thanks.

Any vehicle can and eventually will have some random failure. But there are also design issues. And that's the kind of stuff I want to avoid.

Kinda on the small side, and I've heard complaints about soft rear springs, not really rated for work (perhaps that is for the fancy-looking 4x4's though).

Top Gear is entertaining, but unless if you plan to drive under the ocean, down a flight of stairs or use an excavator to locate your truck after using an unwise parking location, I'm not sure how much value I place in their review.

I agree with you. But it was kinda fun, and that Toyota just couldn't be stopped.

All in all I'd prefer a Ford or a Chev or a GMC 1/2 ton. It's a bit of overkill for what I'll be doing with it but I'm okay with that.

Funny we haven't heard anything from the Dodge/Ram crowd. I suppose their main advantage is the Cummins diesel which wouldn't be important for me.

In your price range / year though you gotta be real careful: Toyota likes to rust. ... rust is bad and Toyota is well known for it.

The T100 is panned as too small, and the 1st gen Tundra was too. Neither were great on fuel economy. The 3.4 and 4.7 are no power houses, and require timing belts every 100k. 2nd gen Tundra will cost more, early ones still had the 4.7, and they have their little problems (2010+ steering racks, rear diffs, front diffs, water pumps, and now something about... get this, rust in the bed around the bolts).

If I bought a truck in BC there should be less concern with rust (same climate as the state of Washington where there seems to be a lot of low and no rust vehicles). And you do see quite old vehicles in daily use and in good condition in southern BC. None-the-less that would be an important tip if I were to latch onto an apparently good Tundra. Check for a rusty frame!

Rust was what eventually did in my '81 Celica - still running strong.

Depends on what you want. I have a vintage Dodge of the era your looking for and can say with certainty they are of the most reliable and simplist trucks of the big 3 of that era. My last Dodge, a 2000, had 385k when I sold it 4 years ago due to rust issues. Its still on the road today as an oil field rig. My current trucks, a 98 and 13 are both better trucks than anything I've ever owned and Ive owned them all. My 98 Ive had in almost every state east of the Mississippi and a few states west of it. Ive had it on the Atlantic in New Jersey and NC and the Gulf in Texas. I love my new truck but I still dont hesitate to jump in my 98 and go anywhere I desire, and when I do its always with a trailer or a camper attached to it. Something about the simplicity and rawness of that old Cummins that I just love, not to mention I hate racking the miles up on my new truck!

In your application, I.E. half ton category, the 2nd gen Dodges had 1 maybe 2 weaknesses depending on where you live.

First and foremost being the 46RE auto trans. By design Chrysler ran a stupid low amount of line pressure and had failure prone checks in the heat exchanger that were prone to stick and block the flow to the sump and subsequently the TC. Making a 46 reliable is dependent on finding a builder that actually understands the weaknesses. For about 500 bucks you can take a healthy trans and make it bullet proof for the life of the truck. The 5.9 Magnum and early Hemi are very stout engines and are every bit as capable as Fords 4.6 without all the drama. There's no weaknesses with them, they just run.
The second potential problem with the 2nd gen (94-01) and early 3rd gen (02-04) is body rust, although to be honest they werent much different than GM of that era.

The 2nd gen Dodges ran Dana axles so absolutely no worries there. In 02 they went to AAM which is exactly what GM runs. The only differences were in suspension.

If you could find a good clean 2nd gen/early 3rd gen that was well maintained I wouldn't hesitate one bit. It would serve your needs just fine.

Last edited:
I guess I will give you my take, not that it matters.

So for 15,000 you can find a good 1/2 ton. It might need small stuff, but no biggie. Any of them. Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota, Nissan will do fine. There is not a huge gap, if any between them. I see them all at the camp grounds. The only truck I would steer clear of is the Ford 6.0 diesel in the early years.

I was lucky and found my no options 3/4 ton with 23,000 miles on it for 12,000 out the door.
Do you need options?
Do you need 4x4?

Good input jrmason. Thank you.

I do like simplicity.

I don't have any experience with diesels so that's my weakness. But I've been thinking of buying a W123 Mercedes diesel so I guess I'll have to learn! I love the simple styling and rock solid build. I have a vision of myself as an old guy driving an old Mercedes diesel (it has to smoke) with my hat pulled down around my ears. Of course I'll be about 85 by then so I still have time.

Didn't we just have a tow fleet owner/ operator write an enlightening post about the v-10 gasser engines cost less to own,maintain and to fuel vs the diesel alternatives over the lifespan of the vehicle.

Op. I'm on the other end. If your going to buy diesel start with 06 and older and diesel money can buy a whole lot of gas truck and gas being easier to service.
A tuner on a v-10 engine would make my heart pump. I know they left a ton on the table with dodge and a 2v v-10 from ford makes me dream of the old 427 hemi headed monsters and even though the 2v ford motor sucks for hot rodding I doubt it would take much to dial up the grunt.
What were we talkin about again.......

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Do you need options?
Do you need 4x4?

I don't think I need either.

A basic radio would be nice. AC would be nice too but it's not essential. For mostly short trips I can put up with a little heat as long - as the windows open. A good functioning heater/defroster is pretty well essential but that's about it.

Lots of comments and reports of repairs seem to concern the 4X4. I've never had 4X4 and I'm used to rear wheel drive (admittedly not in a truck) so I'd be comfortable giving that a miss. That probably puts me in a different market from most people who probably want a 4X4 for the occasional snow and ice day (when I'll be home, grateful I don't have to go anywhere).

Originally Posted By: Clevy
...makes me dream of the old 427 hemi headed monsters...

Your comment about the 427 hemi reminds me. One of my neighbours has an (about) '72 Chev or GMC 3/4 ton camper special that she hardly ever drives. She goes camping maybe 2 or 3 weeks a year. It doesn't have any rust that I can see (it's never been out in the snow). It has one giant V8. I initially thought it might be a 427 but I think she said it's actually a 454. I expect you could generate a little wheel-spin with the camper on the back!

I don't think it's all that well maintained but I could fix that. On the other hand I don't think it would be for sale under any circumstances.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Do you need options?
Do you need 4x4?

I don't think I need either.

A basic radio would be nice. AC would be nice too but it's not essential. For mostly short trips I can put up with a little heat as long - as the windows open. A good functioning heater/defroster is pretty well essential but that's about it.

Lots of comments and reports of repairs seem to concern the 4X4. I've never had 4X4 and I'm used to rear wheel drive (admittedly not in a truck) so I'd be comfortable giving that a miss. That probably puts me in a different market from most people who probably want a 4X4 for the occasional snow and ice day (when I'll be home, grateful I don't have to go anywhere).

That is why my truck was cheap and gets the job done. Rubber floors, Vinyl seats, no cruise, no power windows, no power doors locks, no 4x4. A radio with 4 speakers and A/C. They are out there, you just have to look!

Thanks Is1mike.

I won't be looking until later in the summer. At this point I'm trying to do some advance thinking about what to look for and especially what to avoid.

I appreciate all the input from everyone. You've been scholars and gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back