Recommend a Used Pickup Truck

Find a ford ,gm or ram REG cab long bed. anything short bed is a waste of time when it comes to ACTUALLY hauling anything other than small items and bags. Or van even a mini van works well. plus is covered and can leave , stuff in it.

All,

This advice is fantastic across the board. From what model trucks to alternative ideas, all golden for me. Thank you very much thus far.

More to come.

It would seem that everybody hauls a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood everyday when I see this recommendation.
I used to work at a big box store. I'm tired of people loading their trucks with the plywood either sitting at an angle resting on the tailgate or shooting up over the cab. And then you have the people in the little trucks that don't know that you can put 2 x 6s across the bed liner for the plywood to sit flat on. People never loaded their trucks the way I wanted them to. If you have a short box full size truck, I want the tailgate open and the plywood laying flat. What? You're afraid the 2 x 4s will come sliding out? Then let me put some bags of concrete on there to weigh the boards down. I'll give you the bags for free if you let me leave the tailgate down.

I didn't last there very long. Management had their ideas and my ideas were the opposite. :)

One ton regular cab 2wd with 8 foot bed. These are great matches for a construction project, and sell at a very significant discount when compared to crew cab and/ or 4wd pickups. Not having 4wd takes 95% of the truck buyers out of contention.

I purchased new in 2007 a F350, 2wd 1 ton eight foot bed, regular cab pickup truck. Did more projects and hauling with this than any one can imagine. When I went to sell it, nobody wanted it because it wasn't 4wd. I did end up selling it to a guy that makes and installs signs. His 1/2 ton trucks could handle the weight of the signs, and he loved the long bed.

One ton regular cab 2wd with 8 foot bed. These are great matches for a construction project, and sell at a very significant discount when compared to crew cab and/ or 4wd pickups. Not having 4wd takes 95% of the truck buyers out of contention.

I purchased new in 2007 a F350, 2wd 1 ton eight foot bed, regular cab pickup truck. Did more projects and hauling with this than any one can imagine. When I went to sell it, nobody wanted it because it wasn't 4wd. I did end up selling it to a guy that makes and installs signs. His 1/2 ton trucks could handle the weight of the signs, and he loved the long bed.
I agree with the 1 ton reg cab long bed except mine is a 4x4. I haul all kinds of stuff in mine and if I ever want to sell it, it will go quick. I have people all of the time asking if it's for sale.

Attachments

• HPIM1098.JPG
    HPIM1098.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 12
I’d be torn between a pickup, a used van or simply the low cost of using a trailer. Minivan or van is way easier to load and can have shelf space for tools and supplies. Truck doesnt float on the highway as much when loaded down. Truck has a tailgate which I use more than I’d ever thought I would as a work surface. Truck is a pain to load heavy objects like appliances and cabinets. I can lean and tip just about anything on a dolly into a low-floor van. The van, frankly, is probably the most utility. But I’d rather drive the truck.

the f150s with the entry v6 may be a hidden gem, especially if you can find a regular or extended cab. Not as many out there as a 4-door, but you can get the full bed and the V6 is a rock solid drivetrain. Any half ton in decent shape with the low performance engine would be a good place to start. 4 doors get all the attention these days. A ram with the Penta star would be fine too! Or the gm/Chevy equivalent?

I agree with the 1 ton reg cab long bed except mine is a 4x4. I haul all kinds of stuff in mine and if I ever want to sell it, it will go quick. I have people all of the time asking if it's for sale.
Loved that body style GM. Had one on order in 1995 and never got it.

Reactions: wtd
I like the old style Rangers.
I'm on my fourth. Bought the first three new. Bought the one in my signature five years old.
However, back to your question. Recommend a used pickup?
They all have issues.
Buy the nicest one you can find (and afford.)

A full sized van would suit your needs and would be cheaper to buy than a pickup.
Better to drive as well, at least in my experience.

I almost bought a new truck when we built our place, but didn't and just used a couple of trailers. The trailers are easier to load and unload either by hand or machine, and you can drop it instead of unloading, and they are great height for using as a work bench, painting rack, saw horse. I brought home a pair of 20' 20"culverts on the old boat trailer behind the our Sentra, no problem.

Back