Would like to buy a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Is a new no option truck out of reach?

The difference between a Ford 4.9 and a Ford 3.7 is night and day. I imagine it's the same for all of them.

I could manage a new one but for all I'd use it, buying new and having it mostly sit seems like a real waste. And it would be parked outside so it would deteriorate with time. To be honest I'd rather have an older truck and a classic sports car than a new truck.

Some good suggestions so far. Thanks to all who replied.

So far it seems that a '96 Ford 300 I6, and a Chevy Silverado either a '96 or post 2000 with a Vortec engine are getting lots of nods.

I understand the Vortec came in lots of flavours. What are the best ones - for a truck?

I don't think I need 4 wheel drive. The climate on Vancouver Island is quite mild and it would stay home on the few days there's ice or snow, and at worst it would be on grass and gravel. Other thoughts?

Other things to consider?

My 98 F150 with 4.6L V8 now has well over 300,000 miles on it. It's one of the most reliable engines Ford has ever made.

My co-worker has similar truck with the V6, 240,000 trouble free miles.

Friend just purchased a 2002 F150 V6 with 150,000 miles. It runs perfectly and has plenty of power. He got 20MPG on a recent trip from FL to TN.

My boss owns a 97 Suburban 5.7L since new. It's been horrible, with cracked cylinder heads, fuel injection problems (located under intake manifold, leaks into oil) , multiple transmission failures, rear end differential disintegration, and on and on. I'd suggest a somewhat newer GM vehicle, as this vintage is very problematic.

I know people make all sorts of reliability claims. I prefer real world, objective "data". Go on "www.truedelta.com" and look at how reliable the various brands are. Look at the costs for major repairs and so on.

Ford does far, far better than GM or Dodge from 2000 through 2004 , then during model change, suffers reliability problems 2005-2006, after which Ford is most reliable again.

Interestingly, some years, Ford is twice as reliable than GM and 3x better than Dodge. And, a few years, GM is better. Overall, from 2000 through 2015, Ford does better. (ecoboost excepted)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ecotourist

I understand the Vortec came in lots of flavours. What are the best ones - for a truck?

Get a 5.3. They will be very easy to find and will provide all the power you will ever need. The 6.0 is overkill and would be harder to find anyway.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I know people make all sorts of reliability claims. I prefer real world, objective "data". Go on "www.truedelta.com" and look at how reliable the various brands are. Look at the costs for major repairs and so on.

Good suggestion. I knew about the truedelta site but hadn't thought to look up trucks on it. It has some good information. There seem to be reliable years, even reliable stretches, then not so good years. It's still a pretty small sample but some data is better than no data.

The Ecoboost effect is certainly noticeable. The (presumably) better fuel economy isn't worth getting into reliability problems. And you're right, Ford does seem a bit more reliable than Chevrolet. And reliability would be more important to me than ride comfort or cabin features.

I may only put 20 - 30,000 miles on it ever so if I can find a currently good vehicle in a reliable year I should be (might be anyway) home and dry.

In order to get serious about a F-150 I'd have to sort out which years and which engines had sparkplugs that would blast out of the heads and which had spark plugs that wouldn't come out easily. Normal would be better.

My 98 F150 with 4.6L V8 now has well over 300,000 miles on it. It's one of the most reliable engines Ford has ever made.

Friend just purchased a 2002 F150 V6 with 150,000 miles. It runs perfectly and has plenty of power. He got 20MPG on a recent trip from FL to TN.

My boss owns a 97 Suburban 5.7L since new. It's been horrible, with cracked cylinder heads, fuel injection problems (located under intake manifold, leaks into oil) , multiple transmission failures, rear end differential disintegration, and on and on. I'd suggest a somewhat newer GM vehicle, as this vintage is very problematic.

Ford does far, far better than GM or Dodge from 2000 through 2004 , then during model change, suffers reliability problems 2005-2006, after which Ford is most reliable again.

Interestingly, some years, Ford is twice as reliable than GM and 3x better than Dodge. And, a few years, GM is better. Overall, from 2000 through 2015, Ford does better. (ecoboost excepted)

You'll have some exceptions, but the whole 2-3x reliability claim is a farse.
Also, 300,000 isnt that much of a stretch for a truck if it is mostly unloaded highway miles which is what most half tons get used for. Work a truck like its supposed to be and then 300,000 is a little more of an accomplishment.
Ive owned and worked enough Fords that I can say with certainty I won't own another truck and once the 2 that I have in my driveway are gone, I'll be done with Ford. They're just not that great.

You can't go wrong with either a 5.7L or 5.3L Vortec. Excellent engines. I liked the low end power of the 5.7L, my grandfather's 5.3L needed lots of throttle and RPMs to make power.

In order to get serious about a F-150 I'd have to sort out which years and which engines had sparkplugs that would blast out of the heads and which had spark plugs that wouldn't come out easily. Normal would be better.

This, plus rotting exhaust manifolds with breaking studs.

If you ever change a headlight or take apart a door on a '99 new - '07 old style GM truck then do the same on any newer model it sure makes you wonder what they were thinking on the newer ones.

Originally Posted By: expat
http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/5027420130.html

A non drivable vehicle is always a gamble, but that might make for a really good deal. The price is right anyway. If you put a new short block you'd know what you had. Though you wouldn't know much about the transmission, brakes, steering etc.

And I'm in Alberta for the next few weeks and he wants it gone this weekend. It's a bit too early for me anyway - later in the summer would make more sense. I'll bet he just doesn't want to look at it any more!

Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Another vote for a '99 new body style to '07 old body style 5.3L Silverado

I take it you're recommending a "first generation" Silverado/Sierra that appeared along with the C/K in '99 and ran through to '07 when it was replaced part way through the year.

This, plus rotting exhaust manifolds with breaking studs.

Back in my younger days I had the heads off a Ford 289 to do a valve job. Mercifully the exhaust studs hung together. Breaking a few studs would not have been fun.

Necessity really is the mother of invention. It's amazing what you can do when you have to. It worked out fine - lasted another 4 or 5 years.

http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/5027420130.html

A non drivable vehicle is always a gamble, but that might make for a really good deal. The price is right anyway. If you put a new short block you'd know what you had. Though you wouldn't know much about the transmission, brakes, steering etc.

And I'm in Alberta for the next few weeks and he wants it gone this weekend. It's a bit too early for me anyway - later in the summer would make more sense. I'll bet he just doesn't want to look at it any more!

I bet it's not the only one. I had a friend that had one of the same vintage, she only used it for pulling a horse trailer. Super low miles. Super clean.
it blew out a spark plug, and she got $500 for it on a trade-in.

Anybody know what reliable engine you could put in it's place on such a truck?

Thanks for the heads up.

As another has said, I don't envy you. Many recommend an inline 6 cylinder that may be up to 20 years old...with 20 year old technology wrapped around it. Unfortunately, $15K just won't get you anything modern in the half ton market with the absurd new truck prices. Perhaps you could compromise, especially with being able to haul a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood and get a mid size. Perhaps you could find a low mileage Tacoma in the $15K range that would fit your bill since it appears your towing demands wouldn't be that high. Also consider getting a trailer for those times when you need to haul the plywood.

Last edited:

j
Proof?

I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0 4L80E bought for 12,000 with 23,000 miles on it. Equal to or better than a Mod motor from that period that blows out spark plugs. I tow a 35 foot 7500lbs travel trailer with it.
Cujet usually you make pretty decent post, but 2000 and up trucks that are gas and not an 8.1 are LS based and just as good as Ford. You are wrong this time. The last truck(not van) to have a 5.7 was 99. In 99 you could get the 4.8, the 5.3 or the 6.0 as well. The 6.0 in a 3/4 ton tows much better than a 5.4 mod motor in a 3/4 ton. LS parts are cheaper, no bad cam phasers, no blown spark plugs, no cracked intakes and no #9 Torrington bearing bad.
Bearing
You get some piston slap but that is pretty much it.
64 percent of the 3/4 ton trucks GM made had the 6.0, very common and can be had cheap with good miles.
I camp ALOT, and we talk to other when we camp. The guy I camp with just ditched his 90,000 mile 5.4 for a GM 6.0 when I had to tow his trailer home.
Any truck you are looking at for about 15,000 will be good if you check condition.

Model change? The drivetrain has been the same form 1999 to 2007, when they shifted to the 6 speed. They made updates, and change the sheet metal, but that was it. Where are you getting your data?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

j
Proof?

I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.0 4L80E bought for 12,000 with 23,000 miles on it. Equal to or better than a Mod motor from that period that blows out spark plugs. I tow a 35 foot 7500lbs travel trailer with it.
Cujet usually you make pretty decent post, but 2000 and up trucks that are gas and not an 8.1 are LS based and just as good as Ford. You are wrong this time. The last truck(not van) to have a 5.7 was 99. In 99 you could get the 4.8, the 5.3 or the 6.0 as well. The 6.0 in a 3/4 ton tows much better than a 5.4 mod motor in a 3/4 ton. LS parts are cheaper, no bad cam phasers, no blown spark plugs, no cracked intakes and no #9 Torrington bearing bad.
Bearing
You get some piston slap but that is pretty much it.
64 percent of the 3/4 ton trucks GM made had the 6.0, very common and can be had cheap with good miles.
I camp ALOT, and we talk to other when we camp. The guy I camp with just ditched his 90,000 mile 5.4 for a GM 6.0 when I had to tow his trailer home.
Any truck you are looking at for about 15,000 will be good if you check condition.

Model change? The drivetrain has been the same form 1999 to 2007, when they shifted to the 6 speed. They made updates, and change the sheet metal, but that was it. Where are you getting your data?

www.truedelta.com

And, I will not dispute the (unmitigated disaster) Ford problems with spark plugs. However, not all the "mod" motors had spark plug issues. My 1998 F150 4.6L, 2 valve engine has been 100% trouble free. As has my 2009 5.4L 3 valve engine. But, neither was subject to spark plug problems. Like the OP, I knew better than to purchase a Ford with plug issues when I purchased my 09. Once properly repaired, the mod motors with plug issues seem to be trouble free.

The earlier GM products (1997) were very troublesome. The later ones with updated fuel injection are far better. But, generally not as good as Ford.

The column with numbers is the number of "repair trips per year, per 100 vehicles". If there is an asterisk, there are insufficient responses, so the dataset is too small.

RKhMcru.jpg

pnfQJdb.jpg

44nUSfS.jpg

Last edited:
My 08 4.6L (in signature) had the plugs changed out under warranty due to a misfire. Two of them had to be extracted, and this was with approximately 30k miles on it. A few months later it went back in for a bad exhaust manifold leak and the tech snapped the rear most stud off, so the engine had to be yanked. Then there's been the 5 or 6 coil packs (all OEM) that have been replaced, both wheel bearings, the altenator, and starter. Both front calipers stuck. All the above happened under warranty. The entire harness for the AWD system had to be replaced on my dime when they finally figured out it was the culprit behind every single component related to the AWD system getting fried. Luckily the warranty covered all the parts except the harness, which cost me $1500. And that's just one of the Fords Ive owned, every other has yielded similar problems.

While I believe Ford is better than Chevy, (except ecoboost) most of the time. Toyota comes out on top with reliability.

I'm not claiming Toyota is a tougher truck, it's not. Nor is it more capable. But for general use, it is more reliable.

VDVHWnQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back