Worried for Winter and its salty roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krown will not swell weatherstrips the way oil does, and it works by getting into every seam. Come visit to Canada and get it done, stop at Tim Hortons for a coffee and donut and experience the Canadian way of life!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Dan at Fluid Film. Ill paste my email response from him as well as my initial question below:

Hi,

Both products will penetrate quite effectively given time. The main difference between the two are the environments they were manufactured for. Our regular Fluid Film holds up much longer to UV exposure than the Liquid A product, so it is the only product that should be considered in any application where the sun exposure will be an issue. The Liquid A is used more as a "Float Coat" in marine tanks, or as a dipping material for metals before shipping or storage, due to its low viscosity.

Our regular Fluid Film will work better for the majority of applications. In bulk, the easiest way to apply the regular Fluid Film is by airless paint sprayer, with a psi of around 2,000 for best atomization.

Both products are safe on paint, plastic, and oil-resistant synthetic rubbers. The Gel that the Liquid A forms is unique to that product because of its designed use in a marine environment.

What are your desired applications?

Regards,

Dan Wxxxxxx
Technical Sales Manager
Eureka Chemical Company
234 Lawrence Ave.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
www.fluid-film.com

Seems as though old Dan recommends the exact spray gun I have in this thread? all I know is I use it and it works.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In bulk, the easiest way to apply the regular Fluid Film is by airless paint sprayer, with a psi of around 2,000 for best atomization.

Seems as though old Dan recommends the exact spray gun I have in this thread? all I know is I use it and it works.

And all I know is what he told me not a month ago, which is airless paint sprayer at 2000 PSI. Big difference.

Im not trying to argue, and if a cheaper solution works great, then excellent... but Dan said what he did obviously for a reason...

I'm not trying to argue either, if I am coming off in that fashion I apologize. It sounds like Dan is having thoughts of selling an expensive delivery system? I just want to let everyone know that you do not need a 2000 PSI sprayer to apply Fluid Film, all you need is the spray gun shown HERE. I use it and it works perfectly.

I wonder if cosmoline based corrosion preventers would work good. Or would cosmoline be damaging to rubber and polymer parts? Is that what the miltary uses and aircraft use?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Thick rubberized undercoatings are about the worst thing you can do. They crack and hide rust until its really bad. They work good for about 5 years, and hide rust for the next 15.

Best way to rust proof a car is to spray the undersides with thick oil.

I actually will agree with that BUT it is now illegal most places due to environmental concerns. Many family members used to get their vehicle "under-oiled" every year before winter set in and it worked very well.

why would it be illegal? especially to do it yourself with your own used oil. It seems a like BOBISTHEOILGUY natural cheap good maintenance.

Here is what happens to the 5 QTs of oil, whether you just pour it in the woods or spray it on your cars undercarriage.

One five quart oil change improperly disposed can:

create an oil slick on the surface of ten acres (about ½ million square feet),
render five acres (about ¼ million square feet) unusable for planting for decades,
and, contaminate one million gallons (a year supply for 50 people) of water.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Thick rubberized undercoatings are about the worst thing you can do. They crack and hide rust until its really bad. They work good for about 5 years, and hide rust for the next 15.

Best way to rust proof a car is to spray the undersides with thick oil.

I actually will agree with that BUT it is now illegal most places due to environmental concerns. Many family members used to get their vehicle "under-oiled" every year before winter set in and it worked very well.

Well if you drove a German or British, or Italian car it would self oil the undersides. LOL.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I wonder if cosmoline based corrosion preventers would work good. Or would cosmoline be damaging to rubber and polymer parts? Is that what the miltary uses and aircraft use?

My wife's 08 VW has something like that. A white, thick, wax-like coating. It really felt like candles, just formed to the places where it was applied like it was solvent-sprayed or something.

So three Fluid Film questions:

1) Does it really need to be applied every year?

2) Once applied can U use a car wash with an undercar spray?

3) How clean do people get the undercar before applying?

Should I spray any leftover Fluid Film on the underside of my skidder?

Last edited:
I use Fluid film but I dont spray the underside.

Best bet is to paint the floors, wheel wells etc with Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator. Top Coat with their Chasis Black Epoxy.
Then spray their heavy duty rust proofing on the floors over that.

Use the fluid film for inside the doors, subframes, hatch, tailgates.

If you have an older car Eastwoods has interior frame coating which you can flood the subframes with. Comes with a nice wand to thread into the subframe with brass tip to get 360 degree coverage. I save the wand and use it with the fluid film to get into all the nooks and crannies in the doors, wheel wells etc

Spraying fluid film on the floors will make a stinking mess, if you do any work on your car and have to crawl under it to do anything you will get it and all the dirt sticking to it on you.
No thanks.

I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee and live in the rust belt (Chicago). I have not applied anything to the bottom of my jeep and have no major rust issues. I have found if you can wash your jeep every other week and make sure to get the under side of your jeep you will be good to go.

I typically take the jeep to my local spray and wash ($2.00) to spray the underside and then wash my jeep in my garage with Optimum No Rish Wash and Shine http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OPT-M36/No-Rinse-Wash-Shine-2010-Formula-P444/32oz-S1/

Originally Posted By: Donald
Here is what happens to the 5 QTs of oil, whether you just pour it in the woods or spray it on your cars undercarriage.

render five acres (about ¼ million square feet) unusable for planting for decades,

nonsense, it doesn't do that kind of damage if it's clinging to your cars undercarriage

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

nonsense, it doesn't do that kind of damage if it's clinging to your cars undercarriage

In a month or 6 months or a year it will no longer be clinging to the cars undercarriage. Its somewhere on the ground.

If its a car worth saving simply don't drive it in the salt.

If not just spray it off real good with fresh water when you can and touch up the new rust areas with POR and a bit of paint. By the time it rots out it will be pretty old.

I'd have to agree with this.

My tale of two Cavaliers......

Wife's 2003 has seen every MI winter since 2003...and I washed it at least once a week. For the most part, it has very little rust on it. Where the rust has creeped up on this car is under the doors. Before winter sets in I'm going to have to use som por 15 to keep it from getting worse. Funny thing is even the rockers are rust free...

My 2004 has only seen salt ONCE in it's life (and quickly washed afterwards), and the car is rust free. Thank goodness, since salt seems to destory the two door cars faster anyways..The car is out year round, as long as there is no salt on the ground. Still looks new underneath as well.

The crazy weather here makes it worth having a winter beater...

Right, and how many cars leak that amount and more on the ground and roads every day, how many oil spills did we have since we started drilling for oil, how many tankers spilled their load? By that calculation, we should not have any drinking water or fertile soil.

I agree that anything oil related is a contaminant and we should properly dispose of used oil. I also agree that used oil should not be used as rust proofing, as we have products that are far less toxic.

But I just hate when people start bringing down the DIY-er or someone that does not believe in commonly accepted "knowledge" and make him/her the bad guy. We have plenty of goody goods (it’s not directed at you in particular) trying to impose their “concerns” by preventing oil changes in the driveway or washing the car, when all of that pales in comparison to what big corporations get away with.

In a month or 6 months or a year it will no longer be clinging to the cars undercarriage. Its somewhere on the ground.

not unless you spray way too much on. ever sprayed some rust with oil?

Rust Cure
Rust Cure Formula 3000 12 bucks a can, without a doubt the best stuff you can get well worth the trip up to Canada to Canadian tire store.
The military did a test and this stuff beat them all!
It's a clear no drip waxy spray.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back