WIX XP Question…

I am new here, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have run the regular wix on all my vehicles for a very long time. I do fairly short OCI. My oldest car, a Nissan Xterra, has over 300K miles and has used the regular Wix for most of its life, with OCI of abut 3500 - 4000 - mostly on dino oil until recently it became unavailable, so its now semi syn. It doesn't burn any oil yet.

Personally if I am going to go to the trouble to drain the oil I would just as soon change the oil filter. I have more fear of the bypass valve wearing out and let everything pass than anything else.

The one thing I will say is the WIX oil filters are still made in USA - at least the last I bought, but the last air filter I purchased was made in Spain, and lacked the metal screen on the back - so with Wix being sold out to Mann+ Hummel I hope they don't change.
You've provided correct, timely maintenance to your vehicle. It works. Congrats. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

I am new here, so take this with a grain of salt.

I have run the regular wix on all my vehicles for a very long time. I do fairly short OCI. My oldest car, a Nissan Xterra, has over 300K miles and has used the regular Wix for most of its life, with OCI of abut 3500 - 4000 - mostly on dino oil until recently it became unavailable, so its now semi syn. It doesn't burn any oil yet.

Personally if I am going to go to the trouble to drain the oil I would just as soon change the oil filter. I have more fear of the bypass valve wearing out and let everything pass than anything else.

The one thing I will say is the WIX oil filters are still made in USA - at least the last I bought, but the last air filter I purchased was made in Spain, and lacked the metal screen on the back - so with Wix being sold out to Mann+ Hummel I hope they don't change.
You’re on the right path man

The Fram Titanium isn't really new, it's been sold at Advance Auto Parts for a couple of years.
I must’ve been living under a rock because I wrote off Fram YEARS ago… I never knew that their TG and Ultra lines were more than sufficient. I’m currently perusing other threads on here and trying to locate more odor on their efficiency against microns

I have more fear of the bypass valve wearing out and let everything pass than anything else.
Spring operated oil filter bypass valves don't wear out.

However, I wouldn't run a filter with a rubber ADBV/bypass combo valve for more than 5K miles. I stay away from filters with combo valves.

I must’ve been living under a rock because I wrote off Fram YEARS ago… I never knew that their TG and Ultra lines were more than sufficient. I’m currently perusing other threads on here and trying to locate more odor on their efficiency against microns
Fram Titanium: 99+% @ 20μ, wire backed media, rated upto 20K miles. Only sold at Advance Auto Parts.

Fram Ultra: 99+% @ 20μ, not wire backed media anymore (it use to be like the Titanium), rated upto 20K miles.

Fram Tough Guard: 99% @ 20μ, rated upto 15K miles.

Even the Extra Guard is 95% @ 20μ and rated upto 10k miles.

Fram Titanium: 99+% @ 20μ, wire backed media, rated upto 20K miles. Only sold at Advance Auto Parts.

Fram Ultra: 99+% @ 20μ, not wire backed media anymore (it use to be like the Titanium), rated upto 20K miles.

Fram Tough Guard: 99% @ 20μ, rated upto 15K miles.

Even the Extra Guard is 95% @ 20μ and rated upto 10k miles.

Are you a fan of Fram?

Are you a fan of Fram?
Many here are, they are good filters.

Fram got a bad rap 20 years ago, and in the general automotive forum world, still get a bad rap, usually by somebodies brothers, uncles sisters brother that used to drag race.
Ignorance of filter construction (ie "paper endcaps" that is made of material stronger than the filter media) and heresy is why they have a poor recommendation on most forums.
The Ultra really was a top tier filter before the recent "downgrade" (filter media changed and wire backing removed), but is still a good filter, just not worth the price to many.

Me personally, if I am paying full price for a filter, it will be either a Walmart Supertech or Fram Orange can.

I do have a few Wix XP filters in my stash for my motorcycle, got them for $6 each a while back on sale.
Having a wire backed media on my motorcycle just makes me feel better, no real reason other than feels. Not real concerned with super fine filtration, so the XP fits my needs for the bike.
That said, I currently have a Fram orange can on the bike (short oil change interval due to some clutch work).

Last edited:
Are you a fan of Fram?
Yep, been using the Fram Ultra for a long time, since around 2014 when the Purolators started having media tearing issues - the PureOne was my go-to filter before the switch to the Ultra . Never went back to the PureOne since the Ultra was better anyway.

Now that the Ultra isn't wire-backed media anymore I've gone to the Fram Titanium as long as I can get them for $12 in AAP "oil+filter" deals. I'd still run the current Ultra if the Titanium wasn't available. The filtering efficiency and rated mileage is still the same with the new non-wire backed media.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the “pathetic efficiency” part? I’m interested to know what that means
Filter efficiency refers to how many particles the filter media will retain at a given size. Wix has been resistant to giving out hard data on the XP's but I believe the last I heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was that they captured 50% of particles at 20 microns or greater. I won't repeat the data ZeeOSix gave but you'll see that the least expensive Fram is at 95% of particules at 20 microns or greater and the higher-end filters are at 99%. What this means is that Fram is better at removing contaminants from the oil. Don't read into this too much, but for your interval it just seems the XP isn't a great fit. The XP is built very well, with media that is OK, with a high dirt holding capacity. The Wix XP is a filter that is built for a specific objective- extended drain intervals. For your application I believe you'd be better served by one of the numerous alternatives out there that do a better job of filtering.

Filter efficiency refers to how many particles the filter media will retain at a given size. Wix has been resistant to giving out hard data on the XP's but I believe the last I heard (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was that they captured 50% of particles at 20 microns or greater. I won't repeat the data ZeeOSix gave but you'll see that the least expensive Fram is at 95% of particules at 20 microns or greater and the higher-end filters are at 99%. What this means is that Fram is better at removing contaminants from the oil. Don't read into this too much, but for your interval it just seems the XP isn't a great fit. The XP is built very well, with media that is OK, with a high dirt holding capacity. The Wix XP is a filter that is built for a specific objective- extended drain intervals. For your application I believe you'd be better served by one of the numerous alternatives out there that do a better job of filtering.
The WIX XP came in at 62% @ 20μ in the independant ISO 4548-12 efficiency test.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ow-bubble-point-and-burst.334882/post-5789087

I had a Fram orange can leak at the seam 40 years ago, but a Tough Guard is going on my Tucson next change.
For many years I used Purolator Pure One, until I read of the tears, then I switched to Wix/NAPA Gold.
So, I impulsively picked up the Fram when I got a jug of SuperTech 5w-30 synth.

That’s counterproductive seeing that it costs more than the standard WIX
XP costs more because it's built for longer service intervals, and is marketed as such. XP has lower efficiency (catches less stuff) so that it doesn't load up and go into bypass during these longer service intervals. Regular WIX is built for shorter service intervals and has better efficiency -- it probably won't load up and go into bypass due to the shorter interval.

XP costs more because it's built for longer service intervals, and is marketed as such. XP has lower efficiency (catches less stuff) so that it doesn't load up and go into bypass during these longer service intervals. Regular WIX is built for shorter service intervals and has better efficiency -- it probably won't load up and go into bypass due to the shorter interval.
WIX doesn't even give their filters (including the XP) an up to mileage rating. The Fram Ultra is way more efficient, and is rated up to 20K miles, which I doubt the WIX XP is rated for. Thing is, if someone is doing a long OCI, that's when a more efficient oil filter is benificial ... not one that's around 60% @ 20u.

Good filters can do both at the same time.

Back