Wix updates Gen V oil filter specs - 22 PSI bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
If I do change my mind (which I've been known to do!) on the Fram HP18, where would I find one? (somewhere that isn't mail order)

Maybe a local "speed shop" if you have any around your area.

The Fram HP18 isn't a filter I've seen anywhere in the places I go (either here in Ontario or in Western NY), and I'm still very leery of using something like that while under warranty as I feel that GM would fight me hard on that one in the rare event of a warranty claim, so let's scratch that one off my list. So until the new NAPA Gold shows up I am now thinking of either the Ultra, the Mobil 1 or the K&N. I really love the solid construction of the Ultra, and I have used them almost exclusively on my Honda and my previous Corvette. But the low 9-15psi bypass still scares me. At least with either the K&N or the M1, they say the bypass is 11-17psi (and depending on who you believe at Champion Labs it's even possible the M1 filter has the correct 22psi setting after all)

If I do change my mind (which I've been known to do!) on the Fram HP18, where would I find one? (somewhere that isn't mail order)

The difference of 2psi is irrelevant when you consider the amount of media and the flow characteristics of the Ultra.

GM would be more inclined to deny a warranty should you have a filter failure, then running one of the best, if not the best, constructed filter on the market.

If you’re going to run a paper filter you might as well stick with the PF64 and remove all warranty doubt. Or just buy a few PF64s to be spun on when you need to go in for warranty
wink.gif

I took advantage of a sale at Canadian Tire on Fram Ultra filters and picked up an XG10060. I will just run it for this one interval, and by the next one (which will be in the fall) I should be able to get the new NAPA Gold, or perhaps other oil filters will be available with the 22psi bypass (I'd love it if Fram released an Ultra for my Corvette with the right bypass!) There won't be any extreme cold starts, and I will continue the practice of driving gently until the oil warms up, so hopefully it won't go into bypass too often anyhow.

Good choice!

Like I've mentioned before. I'm much less concerned about the Ultra going into bypass (especially under your conditions) than I am paper media tearing which results in no filtration.

I took advantage of a sale at Canadian Tire on Fram Ultra filters and picked up an XG10060. I will just run it for this one interval, and by the next one (which will be in the fall) I should be able to get the new NAPA Gold, or perhaps other oil filters will be available with the 22psi bypass (I'd love it if Fram released an Ultra for my Corvette with the right bypass!) There won't be any extreme cold starts, and I will continue the practice of driving gently until the oil warms up, so hopefully it won't go into bypass too often anyhow.

And btw, that's exactly what I did yesterday. Under $13 CDN for an Ultra is a pretty good deal.

It ends up being roughly the same price as what I would have paid in the US, at least within a dollar anyhow. I miss the days when CT would put the Ultra on sale for $9.99 but that's been at least a year or two.

And you're right, better to have one of the best quality filters on the car, as opposed to the PF64 which could be prone to tearing and basically being in bypass permanently. And even though I do like to go full throttle in this car when I get the chance, more than 95% of my driving the engine is operating at between 1200 and 2000 rpm, so the filter would be fully functioning and not in bypass during that time. (although that being said, I still want to have a 22psi bypass filter in the future just to be safe)

And you're right, better to have one of the best quality filters on the car, as opposed to the PF64 which could be prone to tearing and basically being in bypass permanently.

01.gif

And even though I do like to go full throttle in this car when I get the chance, more than 95% of my driving the engine is operating at between 1200 and 2000 rpm, so the filter would be fully functioning and not in bypass during that time. (although that being said, I still want to have a 22psi bypass filter in the future just to be safe)

And I suspect that your 5% of WOT is done 100% of the time when the oil is fully warmed up. In which case, I can't imagine any scenario, except subzero cold starts, where this filter would be in bypass.

Originally Posted By: webfors
And even though I do like to go full throttle in this car when I get the chance, more than 95% of my driving the engine is operating at between 1200 and 2000 rpm, so the filter would be fully functioning and not in bypass during that time. (although that being said, I still want to have a 22psi bypass filter in the future just to be safe)

And I suspect that your 5% of WOT is done 100% of the time when the oil is fully warmed up. In which case, I can't imagine any scenario, except subzero cold starts, where this filter would be in bypass.

There's no way the Ultra is going to be in bypass when the oil is fully hot, even on a Vette at high RPM. Per the info from Motorking in this thread the Ultra flows better than a PureOne in the same size (ie, for LS GM engines) - LINK

Looking at the graph based on data from Purolator of the flow vs delta-p of the Vette sized PureOne filter, there should only be about 5 PSI of delta-p at 12 GPM. I highly doubt your Vette puts out any more than 12 GPM Patman. The Ultra is probably slightly less than 5 PSI delta-p at 12 GPM with hot oil based on the info from Motorking in that liked thread.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've landed on using the Fram XG10575. It has the exact specs as the 10060, just slightly longer.

You're not concerned about the bypass valve set to only 9-15 psi?

I've already experienced more than a lifetime of bypass events in the last 5k mile run with a torn PF64. I'm done with paper filters.

When Fram gets around to releasing a 22psi Ultra, I'll use that.

Just don't hammer the throttle until the oil warms up and you'll be fine. A good practice on any vehicle.

Well … can’t get there myself … pulled the XG10575 and put a PF63e on the Tahoe
27.gif

The Fram was really hard to get off (put on 3/4 turn method) … wrench damaged can … too bad since I was going to use on the GMC … figured out why … gasket was stuck to base and had to wrench out of groove …
Oil pressure is the same …
Based on my OLM … will leave the PF63e on around 4500 miles and cut it open early summer …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There's no way the Ultra is going to be in bypass when the oil is fully hot, even on a Vette at high RPM. Per the info from Motorking in this thread the Ultra flows better than a PureOne in the same size (ie, for LS GM engines) - LINK

Looking at the graph based on data from Purolator of the flow vs delta-p of the Vette sized PureOne filter, there should only be about 5 PSI of delta-p at 12 GPM. I highly doubt your Vette puts out any more than 12 GPM Patman. The Ultra is probably slightly less than 5 PSI delta-p at 12 GPM with hot oil based on the info from Motorking in that liked thread.

Great information to know, thanks for easing my concerns!
smile.gif

Called Wix and they stated the WL10290 is shipping out soon. Also, it will be dome end bypass. The tech rep I had on the phone was reviewing the blueprints while we were speaking.

Went to Oreilly Auto and was told I could only order a case of 12 if I wanted it...they had no clue when they would be actually stocking it though.

Just dropped my car off at the dealer for my free service. I told them I want the UPF64R installed and they said "No Problem, we'll make sure that filter is used".

No more PF64 cheapo filter for me. :p

I took advantage of an online sale at NAPA and got a Napa Gold 100290 for 10% off (from the Niagara Falls NY location), so that will be going on my Corvette for it's next oil change. I do prefer the Ultra filter though, so I will use the new Ultra XG12060 when it becomes available though, so that'll be what I start using next year. Hopefully by then it'll be sold at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back