winter work boots ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBJ

I work in a tire shop, I'm often going from outside to inside with the snow on my work boots melting, then soaking through. I'm searching for an ideal waterproof (preferably rubber) boot good till -40C with safety toe and toe cap protection, I'm often on my knees so that part usually wears first.

Any ideas?

I use Matterhorn chainsaw boots in the winter. I have sealed all the seams with liquid silicone and treat them with some waterproofing stuff from Wisconsin. I have used these for about 5 years and it looks like they will outlive me. All the safety features needed around dangerous/heavy equipment.

If you're in one of the cities, check Mark's, but I bet you have already. You may have to check more than one Mark's, since selection between two stores can vary considerably. Some of my employees have purchased rubber safety boots there for winter.

I'm extremely picky about shoes and boots, and I always have to hit every Mark's in the city before I find a pair of anything. It's a tad aggravating.

Do you actually want a rubber boot?
I have a pair of stihl standard rubber chainsaw boots with felt liners. I think I could kick down a stick frame house with them and not get a blister, or stick my foot into the rotor tiller and stall it out. Kind of overkill for a tire shop though.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stih...selectedIndex=0
Get a decent leather and insulated workboot and dubbin them a couple times a year, or a sorel style boot with a rubber lower with a steel toe.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sorel-conquest-boots-safety-toe-waterproof-insulated-for-men~p~18828/?showlocalization=True

Anyone have a good recommendation for a lightweight pair?

something that would be good if you have to work/walk 5-10miles outside in the winter? Needs to have good traction.
and not be heavy.

I have a really heavy pair right now.. does everything great.. except I have a bad knee and it gets angry after about 2 days with the heavy boots on.

conditions:
8hours in and outside, mostly walking on paved surface covered with 1-4" of frozen stuff, sometimes partially salted.

temps: anything from 0 to 40F
last year we had 3 days of -30F windchill but that is not normal. and yes I had 3 8 hour shifts outside in it
mad.gif

they dont need to be for deep snow. Some kind of lightweight waterproof hiker style would be ideal.

Last edited:
There is only one Marks Work Warehouse in my city, they are selling Dunlop thermo, Baffin ice bear and Dakota 9800 PU versions for rubber thermals.
Apparently the dunlops have a high failure rate, I like the baffin's but the boot top is too wide, the dakota version is similiar but not as thick. I'm reluctant to get either of the two latter because of the lack of outer toe guard.

The sorel conquest is not available in Canada.

Indylan, what company makes those Stihl boots?

Originally Posted By: TBJ
I'm reluctant to get either of the two latter because of the lack of outer toe guard.

I certainly understand that. If you get to Saskatoon or Regina any time soon, it might be worth a look. Otherwise, you could be relegated to finding something online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back