Management's response when asked about closing early (MN winter storm)

No work in progress as of 330 this afternoon. All 3 techs were caught up, and work on the books can easily push as far out as next week
Are you hourly or on that flat-rate bovine excrement system ? If hourly, I'd try and come in.... sit there and get paid 'cause no customers will be bringing their cars in if it's bad enough.

Are you hourly or on that flat-rate bovine excrement system ? If hourly, I'd try and come in.... sit there and get paid 'cause no customers will be bringing their cars in if it's bad enough.

Flat-rate, which I prefer. My shop does enough business to provide me a very agreeable income. Along those lines, working flat-rate makes my decision about showing up tomorrow a no-brainer.

I wont ask anyone to come in if cant make it, or if it's dangerous for me. Leadership that asks people to go where they wont is lame.

If it gets dangerous during the day we'll have the team punch out early.

If I call it early there is only one question everyone needs to know - and thats if they are going to be paid or not.

I typically allow 3 "snow days" in a year and make people use PTO above that. Last year we used them all in one storm.

I wont ask anyone to come in if cant make it, or if it's dangerous for me. Leadership that asks people to go where they wont is lame.

If it gets dangerous during the day we'll have the team punch out early.

If I call it early there is only one question everyone needs to know - and thats if they are going to be paid or not.

I typically allow 3 "snow days" in a year and make people use PTO above that. Last year we used them all in one storm.

That's a completely fair compromise.

It's easy for management to say "well, I made it in so there's no reason such and so couldn't" given they drive a brand new Chevy 3500HD with a plow, or a new WRX with snow shoes. How about those of us making due with an old Camry or Saturn? I fail to see how one could make that argument with a straight face. Punishing an employee based on their method of transportation is just wrong.

Forcing an employee to drive in conditions they may not be able to do safely is unconscionable. For an employee to expect a day off on a forecast that may or not happen is unsupportable. Myself, I worked for a utility and we were to report for work. During a hurricane we were to stay home until the all clear.

That's a completely fair compromise.

It's easy for management to say "well, I made it in so there's no reason such and so couldn't" given they drive a brand new Chevy 3500HD with a plow, or a new WRX with snow shoes. How about those of us making due with an old Camry or Saturn? I fail to see how one could make that argument with a straight face. Punishing an employee based on their method of transportation is just wrong.

We work in the sierras in a chain controlled area. You have to be at least somewhat prepared if you work here and come up in the winter - and if you aren't then thats on you.

Someone has to make the call, and that someone should see for themselves vs. work from home and bark out orders.

I have all terrain M&S tires on a 20 year old truck If it's hard for me I typically call it.

Last edited:
I took guff last week for staying open. Over the noon hour, during the storm, I drove between locations in the storm in the worst conditions I have driven in for years, and I explained that to everyone. My reason for staying open was to keep the employees off the road until the storm passed, which it did. I allowed people to leave if they felt the need, but explained the dangerous conditions.

At quitting time the salt worked and it was safe to drive, as people noticed and commented on the next day

Everyone still thought I was a jerk.

Sometimes the manager can’t win.

Safety for life should not be an option. People were afraid of what they can't see but when they tell you an 100 year storm is coming and under 10 warnings they expect you to work.

You know, its funny - the world feels like we want someone else to make the decision for us that its not safe or reasonable to go to work or school or anything else. If it isn't safe to get to work, then call in and don't go. Accept the consequences of that decision. A good workplace will accept that. And if you signed up for a critical role, you knew what you were signing up for. Many of my co-workers don't have choice - they don't go - the roads don't get opened up and maintained.

And being honest, I'm sitting here at the hockey rink for my kids practice. Honestly was fine getting here. It is what it is. Don't like the way you are being treated? Certainly you can find a better gig somewhere else.

Last edited:
Sometimes the manager can’t win.

Exactly. I'm the boss as well. Tell everyone to stay home, I get complaints I need the money. Stay open, and you are being a jerk. I empower all my employees - tell me what you need and I'll respect your decisions. As the boss, I'm in before everyone else and leave after everyone else. I don't ask any of my employees to do something I wouldn't, as my student workers learn every summer.

Exactly. I'm the boss as well. Tell everyone to stay home, I get complaints I need the money. Stay open, and you are being a jerk. I empower all my employees - tell me what you need and I'll respect your decisions. As the boss, I'm in before everyone else and leave after everyone else. I don't ask any of my employees to do something I wouldn't, as my student workers learn every summer.

Your description of duties in regard to your position is exactly my point.

Of course you can't win, but that's not just a manager hurdle. The employee that got upset when told to stay home? Probably the employee that owns a 4x4 that's capable of transporting them with relative ease. On the flip side, the employee driving the Nissan Versa is the one upset by their attendance being mandatory.

It all comes down to respect and compromise.

Of course you can't win, but that's not just a manager hurdle. The employee that got upset when told to stay home? Probably the employee that owns a 4x4 that's capable of transporting them with relative ease. On the flip side, the employee driving the Nissan Versa is the one upset by their attendance being mandatory.

When it comes to employee safety, am employer should not take unessarry risks.

I for one see the managers side. People abuse all different sides of the coin. If you close they complain if you’re open they complain.

I work for a large manufacturer. We are always open therefore I plan accordingly. For years I carried extra clothes and emergency supplies in my vehicle. I have always made it to work 27 years and counting. For 10 of those years I lived in a lake effect snow area off the Great Lakes and traveled 50 miles to and from work.

Just my $0.02

I work for a large manufacturer as well and lead a team of field service technicians across the country. We have a great team, more times than I can count they've gone above and beyond to hit a target, contracted completion date or other objective. If they call me and tell me there's an unsafe condition, I trust and respect their judgement.

What about respecting the decision to stay open? If you aren't willing to say "I need X, and that's what I am doing" and want someone else to make that choice for you, should you complain when they make the opposite decision then you'd like?

Whats an acceptable level of risk? My perception of risk is likely different than that of someone from say Florida when it comes to transiting winter weather...
I don't know where the OP is, but there forecasting up to a foot and a half of snow in some parts of MN. If its anywhere close to that then everyone except mission critical should stay home, if for no reason than to make less traffic for those that absolutely need to get somewhere. Is anyone really going to get there car fixed when its snowing 2 inches an hour?

Back