Management's response when asked about closing early (MN winter storm)

As I'm sure many of you know, here in MN (and a large amount of the country in general) are being hit by a very strong storm system as it makes it's way across.

For those that don't know: I work at a medium size indy repair shop. We're all more than capable of navigating a winter storm, however snow DEPTH presents much less of an issue than snow DRIFTS. They're predicting 30-40 MPH winds at least into tomorrow morning.

I've already decided that if management made the idiotic decision to be open tomorrow that I'd be calling in. If they want to risk their own safety, that's on them. However, when the closing manager sent a message to the GM asking to close TWO HOURS EARLY to allow our crew time to get home with daylight he received this in response:

Feb_22_2023_4_54_12.jpg

I'll let the community form their own opinions. I just had to share. The level of profit prioritization in this county is disgusting.

Last edited:
Yup. I worked supporting a large IT infrastructure; most of the systems were shutdown prior to a hurricane. The site manager wanted to people to drive in during the storm to get things running so that when NOAA indicated the storm had past, everything would be already running for the 1st shift.

The networking manager indicated he wasn't going to have his people drive in until after the storm, to which the site manager said "Hey our customer has a business to run"

Imagine the news headline? "Worker killed driving into work during hurricane so people can email immediately once the storm was over"

Show up for work.

Bring a sleeping bag and food.

When I worked in healthcare (at a hospital) we were contractually obligated to have someone at facility for hurricane coverage. I didn‘t mind staying at work for 2-3 days and rack up the OT. I could take shower at work and brought 4 days of clothes, snacks, water, sleeping bag, etc… The hospital went into LOCKDOWN and nobody could leave until our hospital CEO gave the OK.

Unless it’s a very important ‘mission critical’ business, it’s very dumb to force people to travel during a blizzard.
GM is a jerk and doesn’t care about his team.

I would call in and take the day off without pay.

Last edited:
Four basic things a leader of a organization always need to do.
Be first in
Last to leave
Do what they say
Take care of your people

Failure to not execute all four of those items almost always results in a bad workplace.

Not pushing people out the door early for safety reasons is not taking care of your people. Sorry to read this, but as Trav posted, not a well led place.

I for one see the managers side. People abuse all different sides of the coin. If you close they complain if you’re open they complain.

I work for a large manufacturer. We are always open therefore I plan accordingly. For years I carried extra clothes and emergency supplies in my vehicle. I have always made it to work 27 years and counting. For 10 of those years I lived in a lake effect snow area off the Great Lakes and traveled 50 miles to and from work.

Just my $0.02

I for one see the managers side. People abuse all different sides of the coin. If you close they complain if you’re open they complain.

I work for a large manufacturer. We are always open therefore I plan accordingly. For years I carried extra clothes and emergency supplies in my vehicle. I have always made it to work 27 years and counting. For 10 of those years I lived in a lake effect snow area off the Great Lakes and traveled 50 miles to and from work.

Just my $0.02

While I both understand and appreciate the need for that type of employee, an auto repair shop is far from a pillar of social function. So what if we close for a day? Someone has to wait 24 more hours for an oil change or a brake job?

You planned around your job requirements, people can plan around their vehicle maintenance requirements.

Just my $0.02
Yep agree. It's always easy to be an armchair manager/ owner- and spout ethics or criticize. When you close a business for whatever period of time- that revenue is lost for good. Deal with that.

While I both understand and appreciate the need for that type of employee, an auto repair shop is far from a pillar of social function. So what if we close for a day? Someone has to wait 24 more hours for an oil change or a brake job?

You planned around your job requirements, people can plan around their vehicle maintenance requirements.
I see your point but I will share this as well. I very often tell my boys if you aren’t the boss you don’t get to make the rules. If you don’t like the rules you might need to move on.

Just my $0.02

I see your point but I will share this as well. I very often tell my boys if you aren’t the boss you don’t get to make the rules. If you don’t like the rules you might need to move on.

Just my $0.02

Are there not rules in place in any given work environment which both promote and REQUIRE job safety? Why should those rules go out the window when the safety of your employees extends beyond 4 walls?

Are there not rules in place in any given work environment which both promote and REQUIRE job safety? Why should those rules go out the window when the safety of your employees extends beyond 4 walls?
Last that I checked, those are not regulated.

As I'm sure many of you know, here in MN (and a large amount of the country in general) are being hit by a very strong storm system as it makes it's way across.

For those that don't know: I work at a medium size indy repair shop. We're all more than capable of navigating a winter storm, however snow DEPTH presents much less of an issue than snow DRIFTS. They're predicting 30-40 MPH winds at least into tomorrow morning.

I've already decided that if management made the idiotic decision to be open tomorrow that I'd be calling in. If they want to risk their own safety, that's on them. However, when the closing manager sent a message to the GM asking to close TWO HOURS EARLY to allow our crew time to get home with daylight he received this in response:

View attachment 141645

I'll let the community form their own opinions. I just had to share. The level of profit prioritization in this county is disgusting.
I'm with you. Manager feels like he's gotta throw his weight around or he'll lose "respect". Opposite happens. Unless lives depend on doing your job, there is absolutely no reason to be out driving around in a snowstorm. I'd be looking for another job with management that stupid.

Workers are starting to realize they have power again. I hope OP and coworkers haver a frank and open conversation with Colin.

Last that I checked, those are not regulated.

You're absolutely correct: the well being of one's employees while off the clock is far from the employer's responsibility. When they're going about their personal business.

I don't consider commuting through dangerous and ill-advised conditions to be "personal business". I view it as a required activity, enforced solely by said job by use of various tactics.

I will tell you the same thing I tell the folks at my work. We are not forcing you to be here. You need to make your own decisions. What I need for you to understand is those decisions have consequences so do what is best for you.

As a manager I’m responsible to run my part of the business and ensure we hit our various goals. I am also expected to enforce the rules for work fairly and consistently. The reason for not being there doesn’t matter if it’s a snow storm or out one night partying with the boys. Your argument could be used in both instances. Trust me on this, managing people changes how you look at things especially when every decision you make is critiqued to the hills. Fair and consistent will help guide the way.

Just my $0.02

Back