Windshield wipers, that actually work beyond 80MPH...

It's worth considering that, even if you find wipers that will work for you at high speed in the rain, a lot of the drivers you're sharing the road with are probably using old, worn-out wiper blades and can't see you very well, are driving on worn-out tires, and don't have the same driving skills you believe you have.
As someone who sometimes has to drive fast for work in all conditions (first responder) the first thing you learn is that the first part of getting there fast is getting there. Sometimes you just have to slow down because you aren't any good to anyone if you hit the ditch, a moose or deer, or worse, another motorist.

TL;DR maybe some introspection (and maturity) is in order?

@NitroM3 is there anything you're not an SME on?
If you are complimenting me thank you.
IF you are assuming something about me personally and negatively please indicate what exactly I said was not accurate. Also please note that I more then often supply personal pictures as well indicate how I know and have the experience regarding some subject material in a thread I choose to participate on.

Perhaps at some point I may respond to the thread and my information? ;)
what-does-everyone-on-here-do-for-a-living

1) Griots Garage sells a "glass sealant" that is much like Rain X. It's markedly better.

2) I drive fast and a LOT of miles, and find that the current crop of Costco wipers (Michelin Guardian Hybrid wiper blade) have a rubber boot that results in wiper lift at speed. I remove the rubber boot and a low profile wiper with a flat spring is underneath. Works well at speed.

Besides the most likely highly illegal nature of what you’re doing, my thought is that BMW wipers are generally designed for autobahn use (though they have more sense over there to slow down in inclement conditions). My BMW has blades with a shape suited to channel the air.

Besides the most likely highly illegal nature of what you’re doing, my thought is that BMW wipers are generally designed for autobahn use (though they have more sense over there to slow down in inclement conditions). My BMW has blades with a shape suited to channel the air.
I think part of the issue is that wiper blades travel through an arc of ~90° and the airflow over a windscreen is pretty much up along the windscreen from bottom to top. Anything designed to provide aerodynamic downforce is only going to work through part of that arc then lose effectiveness. Ideally you'd want an adjustable device so you could angle it to be effective in your eye-line or a device that pivots with wiper movement to keep itself oriented to the airflow. Someone with some basic skills should be able to come up with something on a 3D printer that would work in the driver's eye-line.

Do you not realize what the physic's of a car that hydro planes is? You will not feel it most of the time
Care to elaborate? I would think that once a car no longer responds as expected that it would be the indicator of traction loss.

Care to elaborate? I would think that once a car no longer responds as expected that it would be the indicator of traction loss.
I am sure you can or have already looed up what Hydroplaning is on the internet, but will respond with my info about it.. :cool:

You are assuming that the driver actually knows or knew when the vehicle actually started to Hydroplane? When the vehicle lifts from hydroplaning it is not often felt by the average driver on the street nor do most feel the loss of steering unless they are making more than the small adjustment to maintain straight forward driving. In most cases the human reaction is to grip the steering wheel and start to make over corrections and stab for the brake along with quickly lefty off the throttle all are natural reaction for untrained and they are all dangerous but common maneuvers . Without experience through practicing in a control environment. Even the best experience performance drivers will still have some degree of challenge when there is nothing but nature control their car for a few seconds.
This is also the beast scenario of hydroplaning which is while driving in a straight line, now you have a curve or uneven road and the loss of the vehicles tires on the tarmac from hydroplaning by the time the inexperience driver knows its happening you are already in many case a point that you are holding on waiting for the even to to end safely and continue on your way.

During DEFENSIVE DRIVING LESSONS the instructor will force the vehicle to hydroplane and then let the beginning student do what there instinct is. Then back to classroom to learn the physic's of Hydroplaning on the chalk board LOL and then back out on the track. My class was 4 hour long course on just learning to drive while Hydroplaning.

Last edited:
How does a driving instructor cause hydroplaning? Remote control of some rainstorm?

I get the impression that everyone here that thinks you'll die going 80 on wet roads also miss the 55mph national speed limit too.
No, they just have crappy tires that hydroplane at regular highway speed. Don’t cheap out and buy good tires instead. Even on track we are running full slicks until it rains heavily.

Skid car
1629081904602.jpeg

Commuting home from work is not a racetrack. It’s a means of transportation from one point to another. You’ll grow up eventually. Or not.
Just because YOU say so, must make it fact! I would venture to say that it takes even more growing up to know when one is talking out of turn or opining on something with zero knowledge of the facts of a scenario, just because you have never experienced it. But hey that's how most people vote any more, so I guess its widely accepted behavior these day.

Maybe you have never traveled outside of small or rural area into or around a major city where every driver is an aggressive driver, but I do everyday! Where I commute it IS a racetrack, 90 on a dry day and your getting ran over because you are the one slowing things down which actually creates even more of an unsafe situation.

Just because YOU say so, must make it fact! I would venture to say that it takes even more growing up to know when one is talking out of turn or opining on something with zero knowledge of the facts of a scenario, just because you have never experienced it. But hey that's how most people vote any more, so I guess its widely accepted behavior these day.

Maybe you have never traveled outside of small or rural area into or around a major city where every driver is an aggressive driver, but I do everyday! Where I commute it IS a racetrack, 90 on a dry day and your getting ran over because you are the one slowing things down which actually creates even more of an unsafe situation.
Here is the thing to always consider....your phrase "zero knowledge of the facts of a scenario" sorta implies that we all never watch news, read a news paper or listen to the news on the radio? I get that unrealistic thought because most anyone in the USA (and other countries) know that because of events starting last year there has been less attention to traffic law violators and the USA National speeds have increased in record speeds. Most also know that this is now being addressed and that this year and next there will be record speeding citation wrote by law enforcement. So it tends to indicate and logic why be one of those that has to budget for a possible speeding citation that will likely be in the hundreds of dollars? When the State or Highway patrol pull you over for speeding, and you tell him your were simply following the flow of traffic....when you go to court and state your not guilty to whomever oversees the t hearing and state the same information that you were following the flow of traffic for safety reasons, you are still guilty of speeding and likely not to get a release from the responsibility of paying for speeding? And depending on how much over the posted speed limit along with how many previous citation you have will determine how much they get from what you earned that whole week at work.

My thought is get up earlier if you think there will be traffic, find a better less aggressive music station to listen to (Metallica is bad idea in traffic) on the way to and from work or errands, relax and enjoy you life and drive home!

Last edited:
M
Here is the thing to always consider....your phrase "zero knowledge of the facts of a scenario" sorta implies that we all never watch news, read a news paper or listen to the news on the radio? I get that unrealistic thought because most anyone in the USA (and other countries) know that because of events starting last year there has been less attention to traffic law violators and the USA National speeds have increased in record speeds. Most also know that this is now being addressed and that this year and next there will be record speeding citation wrote by law enforcement. So it tends to indicate and logic why be one of those that has to budget for a possible speeding citation that will likely be in the hundreds of dollars? When the State or Highway patrol pull you over for speeding, and you tell him your were simply following the flow of traffic....when you go to court and state your not guilty to whomever oversees the t hearing and state the same information that you were following the flow of traffic for safety reasons, you are still guilty of speeding and likely not to get a release from the responsibility of paying for speeding? And depending on how much over the posted speed limit along with how many previous citation you have will determine how much they get from what you earned that whole week at work.

My thought is get up earlier if you think there will be traffic, find a better less aggressive music station to listen to (Metallica is bad idea in traffic) on the way to and from work or errands, relax and enjoy you life and drive home!
My thought is.... Do you have any feedback on the actual equipment that is of topic?

M

My thought is.... Do you have any feedback on the actual equipment that is of topic?
Yup, my advise , change your wipers every season or sooner if you live in extremely hot or cold area's . Keep all water deposit, dirt grime bug splatter, tree sap, bird sh*t etc. off your windshield. Use a good quality wiper fluid. High dollar wipers imo in most cases do not perform much better then the inexpensive wipers. Wipers with wind deflectors are not really designed in a wind tunnel and most do not do well in speeds in excess of 60 mph on a street manufacture vehicle.

I thought Mercedes had a TV commercial mentioning their wipers working at high speed...but I couldn't find anything on YouTube

I had a set of the wipers that had some kind of airfoil design that was supposedly to keep them on the windshield better at high speeds on my RX-7. I had a matching blade on the wiper on the rear hatch glass. At about 100 MPH (in dry conditions) I heard an odd noise and looked in my rearview mirror to see the blade and arm had lifted off the glass and hinged upward to the full travel of the hinge, where you would set it when changing out the blade. I pulled over and set the arm & blade back down on the glass.
I assume that the aerodynamics or airflow over the hatch are very different from hitting the windshield and rather than getting downforce on the hatch I got lift instead. I put the original blade back on the hatch glass.

Back