Wiper Blade Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to change blade every year and they we're totally done at that point. I then tried TripleEdge blades (Walmart ~$8 each) they're silicon and have a lifetime warranty. I figured what the heck, worth a shot. They've been on my car for over 3 years now and still clear rain streak free. I ended up buying another set last year for my wife's SUV.

I used to use Bosch exclusively, but I don't see them for sale much anymore and I had a bad experience. I had one fall off during a rain storm on the interstate. Almost caused me to wreck because I could not pull over due to construction zones.

Since then I tried my first set of Rain-X Weatherbeaters and I haven't looked back. They're easy to install (unlike the Bosch) and I purchased them for both vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I only replace the rubber with a new refill, $5.99/pr

I haven't see refills offered anywhere. Granted I didn't look all that hard ..but..

I get them at Canadian Tire, Gary. The refills are cheap and it allows me to keep the OEM assy, I only change the rubber.

+1 on the Goodyears. I have a pair on a 2000 VW Passat and 2003 Subie Forester. Best wipers I have ever tried. made in USA and 7.99 ea at Costco.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I only replace the rubber with a new refill, $5.99/pr

I haven't see refills offered anywhere. Granted I didn't look all that hard ..but..

I get them at Canadian Tire, Gary. The refills are cheap and it allows me to keep the OEM assy, I only change the rubber.

Yeah I replaced the beam type wipers on my 2 older vehicles. My 08 mazda came with non-beam as OEM and when they wear out I will use OEM refills. I've heard they're around $6 each from other Mazda owners.

the yellow box 31 series Anco's are not the best quality.
I know this because every rainy season I get to endure through wiper blade season and as cheap as they are, they are not worth the money.
Reason being. the blade itself stands taller, like 2mm taller.
doesn't seem like much vs. a lower profile blade, however as the blade sits against the windshield not moving, you have that extra curve being bent into the rubber blade, and when you goto use them, the curve is locked into place and won't actually sweep water like it's supposed to.
Also the plastic yellow box frame is a cheap quality plastic, and they are refillable, however I refuse to sell refills for them and tell each person who asks they are NOT and make them buy trico's or blue box anco's, which are easily refillable.
the rubber for the yellow's doesn't hold up to the sun as well as the other lower profile blades do.
I would love to hash it out with consumer reports, which again proves to me they are biased and know little to nothing about what really is good and bad.
I also don't recommend the michelin blades either, solely because trico doesn't have a refill that will fit in their proprietary slot, nor does anco. At least none that I've found.

Also the wiper chatter you're experiencing, is almost always NOT from the wiper blade itself.
It's usually road grime on the windshield.
It's the dust & debris that the windshield gets hit with as you go down the road.
Usually it doesn't come off when you wash your car, at least not all of it.

you can use a windshield polish to remove it, colgate WHITE toothpaste, vinegar & water can break it down too.

Originally Posted By: Dinosaur
+1 on the Goodyears. I have a pair on a 2000 VW Passat and 2003 Subie Forester. Best wipers I have ever tried. made in USA and 7.99 ea at Costco.

Inexpensive things made in the US? Color me surprised. I was actually wondering if all the wiper industry was farmed out to China and Korea. Good to see some things still being made here.

I hate Bosch wipers. I have never had a single good experience with them.

Trico Neoforms are the best wipers I have ever used.

Oh, and not all the wiper industry has gone to China and Korea. Each Bosch comes from Belgium, some Michellin ones come from Germany, and many of the Anco and Trico wipers come from Mexico.

I have never actually seen a Goodyear wiper or US made wiper, so I will keep an eye out for that.

I love the set of Goodyear blades, made in USA.

I have also used michelin and Anco. last set of ancos laster 4 years before the driver side rubber started detaching. I had the michelins on my jeep and they still work after 3 years.

I know how tough the sun can be in AZ i go there alot. Here I live in the Desert it gets to about 100 in the summer but drops to 30 in some cold winter days.

The sun out there is going to destroy any blade you throw on your car.

Anco yellow boxes are hit and miss IMO I have had some last a while and other last 1 year. Michelins usually last me 2-3 years and these new goodyears are still too new to tell.

As far as how well they work I have to rate these new goodyear ones as the best in terms of removing water from my windshield.

Heres food for thought: Michelin, Anco and the cheap red boxed 2 dollar blades at wal-mart are all made by the same company and made in China. If you go to a autoparts store you can find the Michelin ones that are made in the US or Germany, these are good.

Pretty much ALL Bosch save for some MicroEdges and OEM replacements for VW/Audi/Mercedes/BMW/Volvo are made in China. I'd had the best luck with Bosch aftermarket wise, but now I'm going to stick to OEM NWB or find a place that sells Valeo or Trico...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back