Wiper blades and fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: mshu7
So, I'm a Michelin blade and Prestone washer fluid man these days!

Thanks for the link on those Stealth blades. Before I started using OEM inserts, I was using the older Michelin blades pretty regularly, and agree that those were about the best of the blades that I've tried. Maybe one of these days I'll try those Stealth blades. Where do you buy them? I've not seen them before, even at stores that carry the older Michelin blades (both made by Pylon).

Glad to help Jason. I buy them at Walmart, where I was buying the standard, old-school Michelin blades. I want to say the price is $12.47 but don't quote me on it.

I buy them at Walmart, where I was buying the standard, old-school Michelin blades. I want to say the price is $12.47 but don't quote me on it.

I haven't seen them up here yet, but we have something very similar at Canadian Tire, as a store-branded product. They seem to be a quality blade (not as cheap as down south of course), but they didn't work well with my old Audi. I'm sure they'd be fine on the old truck or the G.

Count me among the weirdly obsessed. I have always liked beam blades. My first/favorite were the Valeo Ultimates. I bought them when they were new and different - paid a ridiculous price for them at the time, but they did last over 3 years for me, and I have a hard time getting past 1 year with most blades. I just didn't like the flimsy plastic connector. My son had a couple fail at the connector.

I then tried Bosch Icons when they first came out, and was totally underwhelmed.

I then went to Trico NeoForms. I still like their connector the best of all I have used, and they were very smooth while they lasted. At about a year, both on my wife's truck failed fairly spectacularly - with the squeegee separating from the body of the blade.

I replaced the NeoForms with Rain-X Latitudes on the truck, and still have the NeoForms on my car, with Latitudes on stand-by for the car. So far -so good. Smooth and quiet.

I should add that I do use original Rain-X on the windshields, and never have any of the chattering or smearing that some folks complain about. I am meticulously careful about buffing it ALL off when applying.

I also have been using Rain-X washer fluid with no ill effects.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I now use LA totally awesome fluid and have used ANCO blades for the last 5 years and have been very happy with ANCO.

Interesting....
Usually when I meet someone that compalains about their wipers not lasting more than 6 months, or the wipers are too noisy for them, I find that they used the least expensive ANCO blade.

I then tell them to at they very least buy basic Michelin wiper blades, and if they can afford it, they should buy beam blades.

EDIT: However, since I live in Florida, and it rains frequently here, I could understand if what works in Arizona does not work in Florida.

Last edited:
My cheap ANCO's I have on right now have lasted longer than the worst blade I've ever used in terms of price/longevity, Bosch Micro Edge.

Best Value wipers are definitely the ones that came on my car. 800 miles of driving monday and tuesday, raining a good portion of it, wipers worked perfectly, no chattering or skipping or streaking. Impressive when I think that they are almost a full year old.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Best Value wipers are definitely the ones that came on my car.

This is why I use OEM rubber. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Acura...they all seem to be better than aftermarket.

My worst experience is with Bosch. All of the fleet cars at work get Bosch, and we seem to replace them every 3-6 months, and they hardly get used to begin with.

My favorite blade, the napa ones i have now. I do beleive they are mid-range anco tradtional blades. I once used the frameless rain-x ones, and the lack of full coverage irked me on the passenger side, and i never really saw the advantage outside of winter in north dakota. As new jersey is a bit warmer in winter, i plan on keeping traditional blades year round.

For wiper fluid, blue gunk in the fall/winter, bug wash spring/summer.

PIAA Super Silicone blades are the best I have tried so far. They are silent even if you run them on a dry windshield. They also don't break down after just a few months in the sun like regular rubber blades.

SilBlade is supposed to be very good as well.

I use 303 washer tablets with plain water in the summer, and add one tablet to the cheap blue stuff in the winter. I stay away from the "Splash" brand found at some stores because I have found it tends to leave spots on the windshield. Prestone Bug Wash is actually the best I have tried but it smells terrible and the 303 tablets are much more convenient.

I've tried Bosch Icons and Trico Neoform blades on my 01 VW Golf. I liked the Bosch blades better but they are really expensive. I then did a lot of research and found that Amazon sells Valeo 600 series blades for about $9-10 each and they had great reviews. I'm using the Valeo blades now and am very impressed. They don't streak at all and are virtually silent while operating. They are also nearly half the price of the Bosch blades. I'll be sticking with Valeo blades for a while.

Stopped by local AZ this morning - and like last year checking on 3 places, they still do not carry the orange rain-x here around central N.California. Must be a regional item.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Stopped by local AZ this morning - and like last year checking on 3 places, they still do not carry the orange rain-x here around central N.California. Must be a regional item.

It must be. You almost can't even walk into a supermarket without seeing stacks of it around here!

Errtt - I'd avoid the Rain-X washer fluid. Here's what I said about it earlier in the thread if, in case you missed it:

As far as washer fluid is concerned, I used to be a Rain-X washer fluid customer. However, when I went to re-fill the reservoir, I started noticing what I would call orange "globules". It looked like a mixture of oil & water. I wasn't real thrilled about it so I switched to Prestone washer fluid and I no longer have the problem. And, the Prestone seems to clean the windshield better.

So, I'm a Michelin blade and Prestone washer fluid man these days!

Errtt - I'd avoid the Rain-X washer fluid. Here's what I said about it earlier in the thread if, in case you missed it:

I wonder which formulation that is. Up here, they have multiple formulations, and I've never had a problem with either the all season or winter versions. That being said, it's not my favorite, since I can get other quality ones cheaper.

I ended up getting a few gallons of the cheap bug stuff.
Guess I don't have to worry about the rain-x orange since it seems they don't sell it around here I guess.
Picked up a few cans of the Stoners Invisible glass cleaner while I was at it. I get it in the cooler shade, foam up the glass and double wipe with micro-fibers. Getting a lot of bugs this time of year. Couple weeks ago, I guess birds decided to park over the windshield one night - what huge mess that was.

Last edited:
Blades - as consumables, the cost of the expensive ones is a case of diminishing returns. As others have noted, Bosch blades work well when they're new, but have poor durability.

The cheaper ones can work just as well, and when they do wear out, it's not a big hurdle to just replace them with a fresh set, and still come out ahead in terms of dollar and cents.

I had been using cut-to-fit refills sold through the dealer which are sourced from Trico. Nothing fancy. They work well, and have proven to be durable for about $7/pair.

Lately, the Good Year branded beam blades at Costco have been satisfactory, and when they're BOGO at the beginning of the season, a good deal to boot at $9/pair.

But it's hard to ignore the clever business case behind them. Non-refillable beam blades have taken over much of the retail shelf space, and driven out traditional blades and refills. Being able to charge more for a disposable, easier and likely cheaper to manufacture product is a good strategy. And whether the performance gap justifies the premium is questionable.

Fluid - my concession to a costlier product. Würth makes a concentrate that's good at cutting grime and preventing streaks. Not good for those in freezing climates, though, as it has no antifreeze properties on its own.

Rain-X - fine on mirrors, side, and rear glass, but it becomes a maintenance requirement on the windshield, and the wiper action that decays its properties can sometimes result in uneven wear and chatter. Once you've applied it, you're stuck with the regimen.

Stoners vs Sprayway - I like IG, but Sprayway is just as effective, at half the cost or less (Home Despot carries it cheap). Gotta put up with the scent, though (though some like it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back