Windshield wipers, that actually work beyond 80MPH...

No shoulders? No room to swerve if there are debris in the road or a car breaks down. Now that's dangerous.

There are some parts of the Autobahn that lacking these shoulders, but these are only 5% or so. We are working on it.
You are right, these parts dangerous. Usually the lanes have a spacy shoulder in the case you car brake down.
Or you marriage and she want to discuss it NOW.

Last edited:
No we are talking.. a fishtailing GSX-R 1100 at 100 MP/H. :cool: Those damm Metzeler Z3. The worst Motorcycle tyre in Rain ever.
One of my Scarist moments in my Life. Beside of saying something stupid to women.
All the MEZ were poor in the rain everywhere. I had the 1, 3, 4 and every one of them scared the sh.. out me in town on cobblestones and Straßenbahn tracks and crossings. The Battlax were much better.

I would think they are there for use while taxiing and on the runway. Cant imagine they do anything over 200 mph.
They are sometimes used in flight. One of my first times in a jump seat included a landing in heavy rain in FL and I remember the crew using them. Apparently the airstream at the angle of attack on short final wouldn't completely clear the windshield. The professionals here can probably add more details about when they are used.

Wsar10: I'm wondering if the stuff you put on your windshield is preventing the blades from getting enough traction. Clean them good, leave the slick stuff off, see if that helps.

I'm surprised that Bosch isn't somewhat well regarded? The Icons I use seem to do just fine, although at 75 the wiper motor seems to sometimes have trouble pulling them back down against the wind.

To be fair, Bosch wipers may work well in certain or even most applications. They just caused an annoying whistling noise in case of my 2012 Mini. That's likely due to being universal and using adapters to make them fit and the adapters affecting airflow and noise. Even more so if the adapter has a hole acting as a whistle. I put a piece of tape over it and the whistling noise went away (just before I replaced them anyway). That said, I also noticed the adapter damaged the paint of the wiper arm. However OE BMW (and VW, MB etc) are designed for just one application and don't need any adapters. They're slimmer and look better as well.

I recommend ceramic coating the windshield. It lasts a lot longer than RainX and will help you to not rely on the wipers. I would also make sure that your wiper arms are applying the correct pressure. Beam style wiper blades with a spoiler tend to work much better at higher speeds than the old frame style.
Absolutely.
At those speeds no wipers should be needed.
I have easy to use soft99 ultraglaco.

I always buy OEM wipers.

Hint hint, they come with a 12/12,000 parts warranty...
those volkswagen oem wipers work for a long time, especially when you buy it new and put on nufinish or something on the windshield wipers, never changed windshield wipers on my 2.5 jetta 400000 miles later

ROLMAO....
Really when it rains on the streets you drive slower, COMMON SENCE, if not for your own safety but others that are sharing the road with you. Once your car hydroplanes on the street of highway not to much you can do except hold on and wait for the instant you make full contact again with the tarmac. If you drift you are not likely to recover and then, well you either get lucky, crash, (not accident because your driver stupid) or get dead! Oh and I really like the comment some member said once they feel the slightest amount of their car Hydroplaning they ...... bla bla bla . Do you not realize what the physic's of a car that hydro planes is? You will not feel it most of the time and especially at death defying speeds of 80plus MPH on the STREET unless you have had LOTS of experience to know what that car feel like when it lifts off the tarmac in a straight line of driving.
I know puff up your chest and yell back " I know what my car feel like" to me! Sure you do!;)hahahaha

Comparing Track cars that drive at high speeds on a carefully designed and maintain tarmac.... is ignorant. Plain and simple . First the race car driver has a lot of experience either taught by attending driving and or race schools or simply tracking often. The Track car suspension is usually set up for the possible wet driving , the car has vastly improved suspension and brakes and the tires are chosen for wet weather high speed driving. Oh and the track officials if they deem safety is a concern no matter what type of track car it is may choose to slow everyone down or flagging off the track until the rains stops.

IMHO wipers even the cheapies will work fine at speeds of 45-55MPH. Do the math is that extra 30 mph worth your life or safety?

FWIW the wipers on my old BMW worked fine at 80 mph. The driver's side had the little airfoil thing on the blade, I suppose that helped but I don't know since I never tried it with a different blade. Some of the E34 cars of that vintage had the motorized wiper pressure control but this one did not, I always thought that would come in handy at higher speeds.

Keeping your windshield absolutely clean helps a lot in regards to wiper performance.

I would think they are there for use while taxiing and on the runway. Cant imagine they do anything over 200 mp
I didn't ask for driving tips or criticism for that matter. I am fully aware of my own experience level, level of preparation, the conditions and what limits I can comfortably reach. If you have not been on a hi-way in PA where you can't comfortably and safely do 80, even in the rain in some areas, then you have not seen much of PA. If your going ONLY 80mph on I-81, I-83, parts of 283 and other main interstates or hi-ways between Philly, Harrisburg, Baltimore, Jersey, you're getting ran over.... Going 65 in many of these areas actually cause safety issues.

I asked a very specific equipment question. Thanks to those trying to help with the equipment question rather than opine on other items.
I get the impression that everyone here that thinks you'll die going 80 on wet roads also miss the 55mph national speed limit too.
I would say (forgive me for opining) is that the question of 80 or higher in a 70 is being presented to the wrong forum. Encouraging BITOG members to provide advice as to how to more easily circumvent the laws of the land leaves it in a precarious situation. This forum shouldn’t be the “go to”place to learn how to steal electrical power, provide get arounds for emissions tests or squeeze an extra 5 miles an hour on a rainy night. Our members have the skills to perform all of these tasks. How we use and share that knowledge is what sets us apart. We can be unique or we can be more of the same.

Back