Windshield wipers, that actually work beyond 80MPH...

Hey guys,
As the title says!

I drive my M3 allot, its quick its fun and it sees all conditions through being my daily commuter car.
It sees those conditions often at speeds higher than it should.

I need wipers that make a FULL contact pass of the ENTIRE coverage area that they are designed to cover, at higher driving speeds.

I have tried almost everything available in my area from $15 wipers to $50 wipers. I also use rain-X (which is another frustration in itself as to how long it lasts), I use the best washer fluid I can get not just the end cap crap at the gas station. I have tried hybrid wipers, beam style, silicone, rubber etc. I have also bought new wiper arms and tightened up the spring (added a spring) in my wiper arms to apply more downward force to the blades. This helped greatly, but still not quite there.

Honestly I try to apply rain-x every weekend so that I don't have to ever turn my wipers on, but as mentioned its ridiculous that this needs applied weekly, who has the time for that mess... Also I get caught up in traffic a good bit and then you need to use wipers regardless of having rain-X applied.

Most average wipers that are decent (Rain-X, Michellin) get most of the window, but still skip spots above 80MPH. especially on turns.

I have watched road course racing in the rain, and I would love to know what they use! Or maybe they have the same issue...

Any thoughts here?

At those speeds I'd be more worried that I had enough tread depth to keep traction... I mean, I tend to run 'em to the end, 4/32's or so, but wet traction usually has dropped by then.

Have you tried OEM blades? I think in the past I had best results with OEM refills, lasted longer and whatnot.

I have had pretty good luck with Trico Force blades and the OEM Motorcraft blades on my F-150. Maybe it has to do with the shape of your vehicle or windshield.

I recommend ceramic coating the windshield. It lasts a lot longer than RainX and will help you to not rely on the wipers. I would also make sure that your wiper arms are applying the correct pressure. Beam style wiper blades with a spoiler tend to work much better at higher speeds than the old frame style.

Genuine Mercedes and Genuine Volvo wipers have aerodynamic foils on the back of the blades to improve contact at high speed. I would think OEM BMW is similar. Hit up your dealer.

This. Only good experience with OE BMW (and OE VW). Tried Bosch recently on the Mini and these caused some annoying wind noise. Went back to OE BMW > noise gone.

Are you talking about driving 80 MPH on a public highway while It's raining? Do you really fancy crashing at 80 MPH? Visibility will be reduced because of the rain, and there is the potential for hydroplaning. Maybe it would be better to just slow down.

I don't think airplanes have windshield wipers. So flying would be another option. And safer for the rest of us.

At those speeds I'd be more worried that I had enough tread depth to keep traction... I mean, I tend to run 'em to the end, 4/32's or so, but wet traction usually has dropped by then.

Have you tried OEM blades? I think in the past I had best results with OEM refills, lasted longer and whatnot.
Yeah, tires are something that I am constantly on top of and wont go cheap on for this car, I stay on top of any possible maintenance but especially drivability and safety items on the M3 due to how I drive it. Currently I have found that Goodyear Assurance of different variations give me the best wet weather traction so far, I keep them inflated properly and rotated. At the first hint of hydroplaning (within reason) I replace, they have been amazing in even the worst rain. You can actually feel them grip in puddled water!

I have not tried OE blades, ever actually on any vehicle. I figured this was one of those things where quality aftermarket was better performing. That's an interesting thought!

I'll second adding some sort of coating (Rain-X or, ideally something ceramic) to the windshield. I've also had better luck with OE inserts and new arms for my Subies over the years. They seem to last longer and perform better in heavy rain.

I didn't ask for driving tips or criticism for that matter. I am fully aware of my own experience level, level of preparation, the conditions and what limits I can comfortably reach. If you have not been on a hi-way in PA where you can't comfortably and safely do 80, even in the rain in some areas, then you have not seen much of PA. If your going ONLY 80mph on I-81, I-83, parts of 283 and other main interstates or hi-ways between Philly, Harrisburg, Baltimore, Jersey, you're getting ran over.... Going 65 in many of these areas actually cause safety issues.

I asked a very specific equipment question. Thanks to those trying to help with the equipment question rather than opine on other items.

I recommend ceramic coating the windshield. It lasts a lot longer than RainX and will help you to not rely on the wipers. I would also make sure that your wiper arms are applying the correct pressure. Beam style wiper blades with a spoiler tend to work much better at higher speeds than the old frame style.
I will look into the ceramic coating, today. I felt the same about beam style and I have found that they do work better than other styles in this instance. I use them on my JEEPS also because they clear stuff when wheeling allot better as well.

As mentioned, I did replace my wiper arms throughout this to see if that would resolve it, I even added stiffer spring to the arm hinge to apply even more downward pressure. The wiper arms did not make a difference as mine really didn't need replaced, but adding the spring helped.

A lot of beam wipers are designed to keep the wiper in contact with the windshield by using the wind to its advantage, like the Trico Force. If this type of design is not working for you not sure what else would.

Be safe out there!

Last edited:
Only 80 MPH in rain? Why so slow? Greetings from germany.... :p

Joking aside, "Rain" could range from light to heavy.... all you need is expirence and good tires.

To answer the question: My cars only have old-shool wipers. Never have a problem . One trick is to adjust the angle of the wipers to the windscreen by bending the wiper arms. Since my skills in english are a little bit limited, enjoy this Video:

You dont need this fancy tool, eyballing and test driving it will also work.

The next, basically esential trick is to use wipers with a spoiler.

Back