Windows Phone users: opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go ahead and get a sub par phone because you're afraid Android and Google are spying on you.
coffee2.gif

I have a Nokia 920 for work and a 1020 for myself, and an HTC 8s (on Wind) for cross-border travel. My wife just switched from an iPhone 4s to a Nokia 625 and two of our four college-aged children have switched from Android to Nokia 520's. Everybody is very happy with their Windows phones. The 520's, at $100 each purchased outright, are crazy inexpensive and they are great to use.

Here's why everybody's happy:

1. Nokia makes good phones - they work well and don't have problems maintaining connections with weak signals. "Good radios".

2. Windows Phone 8 is easy to use, and it does everything you need on a regular basis. My 1020 is WP 8.1, and it's even better.

3. The screen design and fonts are very easy to see and read.

4. The predictive typing is absolutely awesome.

The bottom line is that they're everything that the Blackberry should have been. They can't compete on the "app store" front with Apple or Android, but the good news is that they're not loaded with app-nonsense so they don't consume a lot of data. The four Nokia's in the family consume less data all together than either of the one iPhone or the one Android phone on the family plan.

Basically, get a Windows phone because they're good phones, not because you're afraid of Apple or Google.

Last edited:
I played with a Windows Phone at the Verizon store for about an hour as I was there to upgrade my wife's iPhone from a 4s to a 5s. I was looking at phones for myself; I also have an iPhone 4s, and while it's not on its last legs, I like to know what my next move will be, should my phone be stolen or dunked or whatever. I played with all of them. Androids, BlackBerrys, Windows Phones, and iPhones.

I have a mostly dim opinion of the Android OS. Not because of any perceived privacy issue, but because of software bugs and glitches. They've been a part of every Android phone I've ever used or ever observed being used. The interface, while better than what it used to be, is still a pretty "dark" place to be. Most Android phones, technically, are pretty good; but I think the OS is rather poor.

I have to admit that I liked the BlackBerry the most of any of them, which is not what I expected. The on-screen keyboard was excellent and the interface was pretty good. I think I was using a Z10. Response was snappy and it felt like a quality piece.

I wanted to like the Windows phones. I really wanted to like them. I have an Outlook.com email account and I have files on OneDrive, and I thought that a Windows phone would integrate that stuff well. And it probably does. I couldn't get past the interface. The flat, tiled interface. It looked so...I don't know...sterile. Apple's iOS looks "clean" to me...Microsoft somehow went beyond that and created an interface that's not particularly inviting to use. I'm sure one could get used to it. The Windows phones, on their own, are works of art. They have excellent cameras and excellent build quality. If you like the interface, you'll probably like the phones.

All that said, I'll probably get another iPhone. I use a lot of apps on my phone, but I play no games. I don't have any social media accounts. I have a lot of financial apps, I have a number of mapping/GPS apps, I have a few exercise-tracking apps, and I have a lot of news apps. The thing that I like about iOS is its popularity...and by that, I mean that no matter what type of app I'm looking for...if there's an app for something, there will be an iOS version of it out there. Android is prolific enough where you can usually get an app for that system. BB and WP are more hit-and-miss.

Just as an example, I invest heavily with Vanguard. They don't offer a BB or a WP app:

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/account-services/mobile-services

My company's 401(k) program is with Fidelity NetBenefits. No BB or WP app:

https://401k.fidelity.com/public/content/401k/Home/Mobile

Our very prominent local news station offers iOS and Android apps:

http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/page/5787234/

Mapmyrun, perhaps one of the best spatial-tracking apps available, does not offer a WP app:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/app/

If you are one to not use apps beyond basic internet and email, any of the platforms are probably fine. If you use a lot of apps, even outside of the social media and game world, you may want to ensure that the apps that you do want to use are available on a BB or WP before you go that route.

I have a cheap windows phone on Tmobile prepaid.

50 per month, I like the service.

Also had the same service on ATT prepaid.

Its just something different to play with, I've had every other phone on the planet and like windows as my personal phone.

Originally Posted By: jaj
I have a Nokia 920 for work and a 1020 for myself, and an HTC 8s (on Wind) for cross-border travel. My wife just switched from an iPhone 4s to a Nokia 625 and two of our four college-aged children have switched from Android to Nokia 520's. Everybody is very happy with their Windows phones. The 520's, at $100 each purchased outright, are crazy inexpensive and they are great to use.

Here's why everybody's happy:

1. Nokia makes good phones - they work well and don't have problems maintaining connections with weak signals. "Good radios".

2. Windows Phone 8 is easy to use, and it does everything you need on a regular basis. My 1020 is WP 8.1, and it's even better.

3. The screen design and fonts are very easy to see and read.

A bit too simple, maybe; it's verging on crude.

4. The predictive typing is absolutely awesome.

My sister showed me. Indeed impressive.

The bottom line is that they're everything that the Blackberry should have been.

That's essentially what I'm looking for: another BlackBerry.

They can't compete on the "app store" front with Apple or Android, but the good news is that they're not loaded with app-nonsense so they don't consume a lot of data. The four Nokia's in the family consume less data all together than either of the one iPhone or the one Android phone on the family plan.

Basically, get a Windows phone because they're good phones, not because you're afraid of Apple or Google.

This is the sort of review I was looking for, so thanks.

I was a little off-put by the rather clunkily-simple interface, which lacks the flash and bling of Apple or Android, but I guess function is better than bling.

I am also not interested in a zillion apps and games. Here's what I do need:
-- Weather app (like Accuweather)
-- Bar code and QR code reader app
-- Calculator that can do Metric conversion
-- Good PDF reader that allows me to EASILY zoom in and out to see details
-- GPS map app that works as well as Apple's maps
-- Auto-BCC function within the mail app
-- Ability to rename photos before sending
-- Ability to add words to the "dictionary" manually.

If the Windows phone can give me these things, I think I might just go for one.

My last two phones...

iPhone 3GS
Galaxy Nexus, Samsung

The iPhone was great, I really enjoyed it, but it was crazy expensive. The Nexus, also crazy expensive, is not a phone I will keep fond memories of.

Last year I decided to try a money saving experiment. So I bought a Nokia Lumia 521 from Amazon for $80 and signed up for T-Mobile.

1. if the device sucks, that's cool, it only cost $80
2. if T-Mobile's service sucks, that's cool, it's cheap and there was no contract

I still have the phone and I'm still paying T-Mobile, and I'm saving a fair bit of change not paying Verizon to subsidize my phones.

All of my gripes about the 521 basically boils down to weak hardware, which is a given because it's an $80 phone. In spite of that, I really enjoy using it, the OS is quite good.

If money were no object I might still choose the iPhone. But in my opinion, Microsoft's mobile OS slapped on a nice piece of hardware would probably be nicer to use.

^I have a 521, also. I have been with T-Mobile since 2007 and I have always brought my own phone. I never have the latest and greatest because I'm not willing to pay for it. I paid $100 for my Lumia last November. I have seen them as low as $60 online recently. You do forgo some of the bells and whistles and, yes, comparing "identical" apps for iOS, Android, and WP shows WP to be often wanting. But, I am not an app-aholic and the ones I have downloaded have been good enough. I don't owe anyone any money for the phone, either.

Overall, I thought WP was an easy to learn OS and offers flexibility I like. For example, you can uninstall factory loaded apps if you want. It's another story with iOS and Android. I personally like WP, but I am more of a minimalist when it comes to this technology.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I don't have a windows phone (I would never buy one) but I know someone who does and its a big pain. It has to be updated constantly and if you don't, it will drop calls. I would go with android if I were you.

Your "someone who does" is full of baloney or has a defective phone. Or you just can't resist the opportunity to tell people to switch to Linux.

My actual experience with my personal Nokia Lumia 920 is that it's updated twice in a little over a year (Amber and Black, iirc) and I don't recall it ever dropping a call.

It's highly stable, fast, has excellent call audio quality, excellent GPS capability, long battery life, and a very good camera for a cell phone. For those of us who use Microsoft business products or web services, it's integration is superb. The live tiles are terrific at information display at a glance.

Presently I have three Android Phones (Runbo X-5, ZTE something, and another Chinese no name something) and four if you count the new FireFox OS phone (which is similar, yet different, to Android) so I have no animus against Android, but it's not even in the same league as the Windows phone for business use. The pro version of the MobiOffice suite works pretty well, but you have to pay for it. You get better product, for free, on the Windows phone.

But the OP is not interested in Android, so that's that.

Does a new Windows 8 phone include Office Mobile for free? I have Office Mobile on my iPhone, and it allows for full editing of Office documents, but it's a crutch trying to use Word or Excel on a smaller screen. I have them on our iPad, but they are view only...edit requires an Office 365 subscription.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^I have a 521, also. I have been with T-Mobile since 2007 and I have always brought my own phone. I never have the latest and greatest because I'm not willing to pay for it. I paid $100 for my Lumia last November. I have seen them as low as $60 online recently. You do forgo some of the bells and whistles and, yes, comparing "identical" apps for iOS, Android, and WP shows WP to be often wanting. But, I am not an app-aholic and the ones I have downloaded have been good enough. I don't owe anyone any money for the phone, either.

Overall, I thought WP was an easy to learn OS and offers flexibility I like. For example, you can uninstall factory loaded apps if you want. It's another story with iOS and Android. I personally like WP, but I am more of a minimalist when it comes to this technology.

Side note on the 521... my wife has one also, and I am absolutely stunned by the call clarity when we talk to one another over the phone.

I don't know if that's the phone or the local T-Mobile equipment, but it's pretty incredible.

Yes, Office comes preloaded on Windows 8 phones. Documents are editable, though more limited than the full programs. Excel in particular...

Windows phones are sounding better and better, actually, something I did not expect when I started this thread. My sister's company may have had more than price in mind when they went Windows.

Just asked my sister what phone she has and it's a Nokia Lumina 1020. She's still quite happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Windows phones are sounding better and better, actually, something I did not expect when I started this thread.

The hardware on them is generally very good-to-class leading. If you like the app selection and if you like the interface, then there's not a whole lot to dislike.

I have a Lumia 1020 and I like it. Hasn't crashed once in the 4 months that I've had it. Does what I need it to (email, internet, navigation, music). Even with last year's hardware, it's still speedy and doesn't leave me wanting.

My last two phones were Androids and I got tired of how buggy they got. If you play a lot of games, though, then WP8 wouldn't be a good match for you. I just wish Supercell would develop CoC for it.

Originally Posted By: Win
Your "someone who does" is full of baloney or has a defective phone.

Seriously??? So if someones phone drops calls and it is NOT defective they are full of baloney??? Wow. It might be the individual phone, I really don't know. The tech they took it in to said that it was normal and needed to be updated when it did that.

Quote:
But the OP is not interested in Android, so that's that.

Are you sure of that? Seems the OP showed at least a little interest..

Originally Posted By: abycat
You can actually turn off any reporting that any app does. even google. It's fairly easy.

How is it done?

Windows phones are sounding better and better, actually, something I did not expect when I started this thread. My sister's company may have had more than price in mind when they went Windows.

I was reserved about the Blackberry 10 devices at first as well, but my Z30 turned out to be fantastic. You've got some excellent feedback minus the usual noise to go blindly with iOS or Android.

I think the Windows and Blackberry phone will serve you well. I'm not sure why the auto bcc feature is so important, but you're removing a great platform from your choices.

Do windows phone have some variants of the free apps available? For example, say airline flight tracker, gas price, tracking your friends etc? Now granted, that if it supports good internet browser, one could find the web equivalent of many applications but is the setting that up easy enough via bookmarks?

Just comparing Android vs iPhone shows the perceived gap in the useability of those two ecosystems and I am afraid that Windows phone would take a huge step backwards in that area.

On my Android platform, I can't even get the Chrome browser as an app; what an irony!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back