Window well drain connected to main sewer line problem

I'm not sure how to fix the plumbing problem, but maybe replace those windows, but while they're out either put some bricks in about 6 inches high or pour concrete so the window opening is 6 inches shorter.

The 4 Window wells are all connected via a common pipe to the sewer so the level behind each window is exactly the same.
I'm trying to decide how far I need to go to fix it.

I put this stand pipe in one of the window well to see if in the next big rain that window well stays dry, if so this is a really cheap solution.
View attachment 30201
That pipe needs to be longer. Atleast above ground level.

Reactions: JC1
I wonder if you should extend that pipe higher than that the window well and put a 45 degree elbow and see if the water goes out onto the lawn? Maybe try that on one window and leave the rest with one piece as pictured.
For it to spit out on lawn the water level would have to be at the level of the pipe outlet. If the pipe is a foot above the grass the water would have to be standing a foot deep next to the house in order for water to actually exit the pipe. Sounds like Houston.

That pipe needs to be longer. Atleast above ground level.
The highest I have seen the water level behind the glass is about 6 inches, from picture in may above. What would be the difference in the stand pipe height if it is level with top of foundation wall or a foot higher?

Like this pic
if the water is standing in the street/sewer that same level is behind the glass in window well.
IMG_20200927_092909.jpg

I would at least try to make one of the pipes in one of the windows longer to see if that stops water in the window well. The amount of water inside those window wells is pretty substantial.

Do you speak to your neighbors to see if they are having the same problem as you??

That sucks if you rely on those drains to keep your window wells dry. If not, like said, I'd block them off with those wing-nut adjustable rubber stopper plugs. At least you could use a utility pump and get at them to remove them if necessary. I have one basement window with a corrugated metal well like that in the back of my home given the yard was graded up higher than the window decades ago. I have no drain in mine and it will fill up to the point water will sometimes trickle through the glass block window perimeter.

Similar situation happened in my mom's neighborhood every time they had really heavy rains, except they'd have basement laundry and bathroom backups. It's gone now that the town re-did the storm and waste water lines and installed back flow preventers to every home. It was so bad at one time that I had to plug off most of her low point basement drains.

View attachment 30191

I have also thought about putting a piece of plexiglass in front of one of the window and silicone caulking all the way around. There isn't much pressure when there is standing water but it does seep in. This wouldn't be permanent but curious if it would work.
I had this same problem at the house we just sold. The drain in the window well, which was supposed to run down under the foundation to the sump pump in the other room, was plugged up and water would quickly fill the window well. The floor in the laundry room (where this window well was) had been torn up and the main sewer line replaced a few years before we bought the place, so I suspected the window well drain line had been crushed or filled with debris in the process. Tired of having water in the laundry room, I went down the route of using silicone to glue a cut piece of plexiglass over the entire window. I then drilled a hole in the bottom and glued a PVC adapter, which I then used 1-inch PVC down to the utility sink basin which was luckily right under the window. Worked perfect, and saved me a few water-in-the-basement events during some of the storms we had. When we sold the house, it was still there and the inspector had no problem with it at all. I thought he would freak. Go figure.

A clear plastic window well cover will keep rain water out of the well, so the drain is not so important.

Bentonite clay chips are used to plug drain lines and well casings. I would be reluctant to permanently plug that line though.

A clear plastic window well cover will keep rain water out of the well, so the drain is not so important.

Bentonite clay chips are used to plug drain lines and well casings. I would be reluctant to permanently plug that line though.
Nearly zero water enters from above, the roof overhangs 3 ft, all of the water backs up from the drain below.

Back