Wind turbines shut down when needed most..

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a design spec issue, not a fault of "green energy".
Exactly.

The idea that components fail at cold temperatures is nonsense. -70ºF is a common operational temperature for aircraft.

A quick pic of a fairly normal day for us:
No composite component failures or for that matter, failures of any kind.

3gLZiB3.jpg

IIRC they learned the shortcomings of both wind and solar power.
Actually that was not an issue!
TX plants bcs. weakened regulation did not have appropriate amount of coolant! That is number one. Number two was that TX is separate grid. It could not borrow energy from other states, like let’s say Oklahoma did during same time.
Three, temperature in TX was not that bad for wind to generate power. It was bad because it WAS IN TEXAS. Which means less insulation in houses, pipes not buried deep enough and most importantly, again, nuclear power plants unable to operate bcs. coolant issues. Wind and solar were actually working perfectly fine.
That is why TX went 300% of usage for solar panels so that individual homes “pitch in,” which was reason why they didn’t have blackouts this summer during heatwave.
When it comes to solar energy, TX is MUCH more liberal than progressive Colorado. They allow 300% installation of your usage while my utilities allow only 120%.

So yeah, voting does matter.

Last edited:
It is true that many forms of energy generation must make adjustments to produce power in extreme low temps. However, there's a difference between "making adjustments" (such as using thinner greases, adding heaters, etc) and just "shutting down".

In this story, there's no mitigation to the issue once it drops below -30C, the way I understand the issue. The blades and tower structure get so brittle that continued use risks destruction from vibratory effects. Hence, the system is flat out useless past a certain point of being too cold.

With other forms of power generation (i.e. coal and gas), they may have to operate at a reduced level, but they are not just "shut down" at temp "-X". Gas, in particular, does really well because there are no conveyor belts to freeze, blower chutes to clog, etc. as is the case with coal. About the only thing you have to worry about with gas fired power generation is moisture condensation in the extreme low temps, and some heaters and good condensate traps can deal with that.
In Colorado Springs we shut down coal plant 2 years ago. 5 gas burners installed for emergency.

During the Feb 2021 TX polar vortex, solar and wind weren't producing mainly because of the ice and snow on the equipment. Too much reliance on solar and wind and a lot of people suffered and even died.

It snows in TX, the sun doesn't always shine, and the wind doesn't always blow. You don't even have to be a critical thinker.

This is a design spec issue, not a fault of "green energy".
Contrarily, it not being windy during an extreme cold event isn't a design spec issue. While the turbines were shutdown when temperatures got extremely low, they weren't producing much before that. The same thing happens when it's extremely hot.

It is true that many forms of energy generation must make adjustments to produce power in extreme low temps. However, there's a difference between "making adjustments" (such as using thinner greases, adding heaters, etc) and just "shutting down".

In this story, there's no mitigation to the issue once it drops below -30C, the way I understand the issue. The blades and tower structure get so brittle that continued use risks destruction from vibratory effects. Hence, the system is flat out useless past a certain point of being too cold.

With other forms of power generation (i.e. coal and gas), they may have to operate at a reduced level, but they are not just "shut down" at temp "-X". Gas, in particular, does really well because there are no conveyor belts to freeze, blower chutes to clog, etc. as is the case with coal. About the only thing you have to worry about with gas fired power generation is moisture condensation in the extreme low temps, and some heaters and good condensate traps can deal with that.

There is a little more than that, to worry about at ng power plants. They also have to worry about fuel supply during extreme cold temps.

My son works at a power plant in Kentucky that converted from coal to ng a few years ago. He recently told me that the plant is in the process of converting again, this time to dual fuel, so coal can be used as a backup.

While ng is clean, not only for the environment, but for the plant, one significant downside that management had not anticipated, is during very cold weather, the ng supplier can significantly reduce the power plant's ng supply, and even cut it off. The ng supplier gives priority to residences during high demand. Since the power plant he works out primarily supplies industry, they are not considered essential in extreme cold weather.

This is something that never happened with coal, as the power plant could stockpile huge amounts of coal, even two or three months worth. This provides them a huge buffer from supply line interruption. There is no practical way to store enough ng to make it through even a few days at his power plant.

Last edited:
Actually, wind performs the best during moderate temperatures. During both extreme heat and extreme cold, it's not windy, so wind generation disappears.
That’s true. I suppose that wind turbines aren’t all that useful at either temperature extreme. Solar would be useful on those hot summer days.

The wind maps show there are a few places in the South East part of Alberta that do in fact look pretty good for wind energy.

There are always going to be extreme conditions that cause failure of infrastructure. No one has the money to build to these cases. Texas is the perfect Example. How many times in a lifetime are you likely to see those conditions? Here on the South Carolina Coast a couple times a decade a hurricane comes along and blows down our power poles. There is an effort to burry the power lines - my neighborhood is all underground but its new. The power coming to the neighborhood is above ground, so it still goes out. Individuals need to plan ahead and prepare for themselves, and those that can not are urged to either leave or go to a shelter where someone will take care of them. I assume Alberta is the same?

That’s true. I suppose that wind turbines aren’t all that useful at either temperature extreme. Solar would be useful on those hot summer days.
Only if coupled with storage...just when you want the AC on and dinner in the oven, the sun goes away for a while.

Here in Oz, those hot days, the solar and wind farms have to be turned off so that other, schedulable sources remain on line for theafternoon peak.

Gotta wonder why wind turbines aren’t coated in materials that prevent ice from “sticking”, harmonics and IR can prevent ice formation also

Texas is the perfect Example. How many times in a lifetime are you likely to see those conditions?

Every 8-14 years, last few times could set a clock by it.

Wisconsin gets worse conditions every year and has few issues and generally our houses, electricity and municipal water is cheaper despite being built to a reasonable standard.

Every 8-14 years, last few times could set a clock by it.

Wisconsin gets worse conditions every year and has few issues and generally our houses, electricity and municipal water is cheaper despite being built to a reasonable standard.
So a quick search shows electricity in TX is on average $0.1136/kwh and Wisconsin is $0.1428. So do you think the average Texan would be willing to spend 25.7% more all the time on electricity so the power doesn't go out once every 8 to 14 years?

My guess is they would not.

People like to complain, but they don't like to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back