Will this throttle cable fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says it's a universal cable for Murray walk behind lawn mowers 1985 to present, but it has a 68" conduit [whatever that is]. The throttle cable on my lawn mower looks to be about maybe 42" long.

Can anyone tell me if this will fit or not? My mower needs to have a throttle, otherwise I can't change the engine speed or choke it very well.

eBay Murray Universal throttle cable

The conduit is the sheath that the cable is in.

If the travel on the cable (how much it moves when you move the lever) is roughly the same, it will work fine, you will just need to find a way to keep the excess cable out of the way.

If you can post a full model number for the mower I may be able to look up the throttle cable part number for that specific model. Some Murray parts are hard to get since they went bankrupt, but some are still available and Rotary makes aftermarket replacements for some of their more common parts.

Hi,

Thank you. It's a Murray model #22263X92F

The B&S engine is :

Model 92502 [3.5 HP]
Type 3101-03
Code 89032852

It looks like Sears still carries parts for your mower...
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdir.../WL000464/00003

They show two cables, one for fixed handles and one for folding handles.

Don't let the model numbers throw you off too much. The diagram is for all 22263 mowers, the 9 just indicates it's a 1989 model. I believe it's a 1989 based on the engine code (first two digits are the year).

The "MA" in the current part number looks like one of Briggs & Stratton's replacement numbers. They took over parts for Murray when they went out of business. Any repair shop or dealer for Briggs & Stratton should be able to order this if you don't want to use Sears.

Thanks again. What I actually need is the whole throttle control with cable. I guess I may as well go to the local lawn mower shop for Cub Cadet and see if they'll order it. May cost a little more but at least I'll get the right part.

A year or so ago I bought a control at a flea market but it was way too long that I couldn't get it to work. I've thought of shortening a cable to see if I could bend it in order to fit it onto the carburetor, but am not sure how that would have worked.

The cable should come with the control lever. Usually they do unless the parts are shown under different reference numbers on the diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back