Neighbor's mowing practice - slow engine speeds

It will probably be fine, but many people learn the hard way when they operate equipment incorrectly. Either by damage or by injury.

Came here to say this

OP went over to tell neighbor how to run an engine. I can hardly even believe that it’s so far outside my thinking sphere

I have plenty of opinions on how my neighbor mows his yard. Never mentioned a word to him. If he wants to waste a ton of time mowing, more power to him. My wife and I just chuckle, this weekend we thought (since yesterday he mowed again after mowing on Thursday or Friday) maybe it's his excuse to get out of the house.

I find it extra comical that my too tall height is his after cut height 🤪

I let the neighbors do what they want, I'm busy enough being the family mechanic and maintaining my own 2 places never mind picking up extra ''free'' work.
Just watched one brush the side of his house cutting down a 60 ft. tree with a Worx electric chain saw. God smiled on him so reluctantly I when over with my Husky 455 and cut up the trunk for him. Heard a gas saw over there a week later. He told me You Tube showed him how to cut down trees. :LOL:
Other side neighbor's Cub mower wouldn't crank up. Pos stud on the solenoid melted off. I showed him his problem and told him the where to get one solution. Following week, a service mowed his place.

Came here to say this

OP went over to tell neighbor how to run an engine. I can hardly even believe that it’s so far outside my thinking sphere
In fairness he said he thought he was having trouble and then the owner figured he would educate him...
None of the above would ever bother me. It's called dialogue..
We have become thin skinned because we all think we know everything. We were given ears for a reason...

If it was done to me I would present my case and move on and maybe I would learn a thing or two in the process..

In fairness he said he thought he was having trouble and then the owner figured he would educate him...
None of the above would ever bother me. It's called dialogue..
We have become thin skinned because we all think we know everything. We were given ears for a reason...

If it was done to me I would present my case and move on and maybe I would learn a thing or two in the process..
I can’t argue with this. Especially if I know the person.

My brother told me to run with forward peddle wide open and adjust speed by throttle. When I told him That I run WOT and adjust with foot he claimed I would blow engine or clutch in short order.

old rule of thumb: dont force machinery let them do the wrk. Rate of speed can rattle my teeth out (jiggle da fat) (I assume these R 'ride ons") and rate of cut is only whats needed (2 different things) to clip a grass blade. Dull blade? ina rush to get back to ur TV? Like to make alota smoke, noise, go fast? Better speed up 'rate of cut too'. I'd rather not stress me or the mo`chene ! I'm not there to conqure or compete, I enjoy doin a good job, bein out side & thrifty, effective, efficient. Having it look good (to me anyway) ~

When I lived in a residential neighborhood, I mowed with a Lawn-Boy 2-stroke with the Duraforce engine and I set the RPM to 3300 RPM on the stupid airvane governor. A guy 2 doors down in the cul-de-sac didn’t want me mowing when college football was on TV.

judgments are hard to wrk w/, math a better measure. Example here?
RPMs, % gradient of land, inch hight of grass, etc. W/that we can move away from opinion
and toward 'knowns'.

So, you just described my grandpa. He and my dad run their mowers at the minimum to turn the blades. You'll even hear them give a bit of extra throttle sometimes when they get in the thick stuff. They both talk about how good my POS Craftsman mows because it doesn't leave uncut grass or blow out clumps. They think it's funny I run synthetics in every engine I own but use a "cheap Walmart" Fram. Everyone knows Briggs and Stratton make the best filters.

That being said, they have never once had an engine problem that resulted in a failure. My grandpa still has the Plymouth tiller he bought when him and my grandma got married in 1950-something. Runs like a brand new one. My dad is still rocking a Walmart Murray he bought in 1997. Again, runs like a new one. He's replaced about every other part on it except the engine. The only time my grandpa had engine trouble was when ethanol started being added to gas. I told him to buy the non-ethanol stuff but he insisted that his mower didn't need that high-dollar stuff. Three carburetors later convinced him to quit buying that "gas with the corn in it".

So I honestly think for most people, it doesn't matter. My mower is at the rabbit when the blades are on, period. I guess I'm just wasting gas but my grass gets cut faster than theirs. LOL

So, you just described my grandpa. He and my dad run their mowers at the minimum to turn the blades. You'll even hear them give a bit of extra throttle sometimes when they get in the thick stuff. They both talk about how good my POS Craftsman mows because it doesn't leave uncut grass or blow out clumps. They think it's funny I run synthetics in every engine I own but use a "cheap Walmart" Fram. Everyone knows Briggs and Stratton make the best filters.

That being said, they have never once had an engine problem that resulted in a failure. My grandpa still has the Plymouth tiller he bought when him and my grandma got married in 1950-something. Runs like a brand new one. My dad is still rocking a Walmart Murray he bought in 1997. Again, runs like a new one. He's replaced about every other part on it except the engine. The only time my grandpa had engine trouble was when ethanol started being added to gas. I told him to buy the non-ethanol stuff but he insisted that his mower didn't need that high-dollar stuff. Three carburetors later convinced him to quit buying that "gas with the corn in it".

So I honestly think for most people, it doesn't matter. My mower is at the rabbit when the blades are on, period. I guess I'm just wasting gas but my grass gets cut faster than theirs. LOL
Even the Fram Extra guard has a rating of 95% at 20 microns. Pretty good for a lawn mower. Didn't I see a post here in the filter section with a Kohler or Briggs filter that was rated for 34 microns? Not bad for close to $20! :ROFLMAO: But hey, people will do what makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Back