Echo SRM-225 Trimmer - Major cost cutting. Slowly loosing respect for echo.

if you want a nice string trimmer ,look at husquvarna 525l series,,its a pro grade,got one and works great,had to tweek carb a bit richer,,they also use them on the cemetary for trimming,they are good machines made in sweden,go with a dealer with service,parts etc,not a box store if possible,,can fuel is best for these

Sounds like echo makes a real cost cutter now but the goods is still available if you spend the money - whats surprising about this?

Im up to 1.5 fenced in acres on batteries. I do an outside and an inside walk.
It takes 4 sets of 5AH's on my Makita to equal 1.5 tanks of fuel for the stihl FS70 I have 6 so I spread the cycles.
My loops are like a figure 8 where Im back at the garage every cycle so the swap isn't time consuming.

I've been very happy with my Echo stuff and my customers with theirs. Sure they seem a bit cheaper than the older stuff but what brand hasn't cost cut in recent years? I do notice their chainsaws have a lot more plastic (plastic handle, etc) but they are also much lighter. I used to be a Stihl fan, but they have cost cut themselves out of my recommendations, and I no longer own any of their products. Husqvarna is also good, but it really depends on what model you buy, don't buy the cheapest for sure.

My favorite trimmer is my Makita RBC251. It's from the mid 1990s, straight shaft. Tons of power and super light, I'm not sure who made it (Dolmar maybe?), but it is still lighter and has more torque than many of the commercial machines I pick up today.
all makita gas trimmers were made by robin who left the us market

OP if you want a no compromise trimmer that has an old school feel to it get a Maruyama B30L. If you want the combi system it's a M30QC.
You don't need a big heavy beast like the B30L, the Maruyama B230L is all the trimmer/brushcutter anyone could ever need. Maruyama's engines and drive parts are epic quality, still manufactured totally in Japan. I have the first Maruyama model that they started to manufacture and sell, an ML23S that is 29 years old and still going strong. All I have ever had to do to it is replace a cracked primer bulb and air filter element. I haven't been easy on it either, I have used a blade on it extensively to clear a large area of small saplings and heavy overgrowth on several occasions, it worked like a champ. I sold hundreds of them at my store, every single person, homeowner and commercial cutter alike, loved them. Not one problem on any of them that I sold. Like myself, I have several friends I sold them to that still have them.

I have an Echo SRM-225 that was bought from Home Depot in 2021. I feel it is a solid unit and better than the Stihl it replaced, which I only owned a couple months before I hated it and bought the Echo. Also bought a Echo blower and hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer is a beast and pretty robust. I'm not man enough to run that thing for long! :ROFLMAO:

Where does the SRM 2501 fit in their line-up. It seems like I've had it forever and run the piss out of it. I just used it this morning and it runs as good as the day I bought it.

You don't need a big heavy beast like the B30L, the Maruyama B230L is all the trimmer/brushcutter anyone could ever need. Maruyama's engines and drive parts are epic quality, still manufactured totally in Japan. I have the first Maruyama model that they started to manufacture and sell, an ML23S that is 29 years old and still going strong. All I have ever had to do to it is replace a cracked primer bulb and air filter element. I haven't been easy on it either, I have used a blade on it extensively to clear a large area of small saplings and heavy overgrowth on several occasions, it worked like a champ. I sold hundreds of them at my store, every single person, homeowner and commercial cutter alike, loved them. Not one problem on any of them that I sold. Like myself, I have several friends I sold them to that still have them.

The 30cc trimmer is only 0.2 lb heavier than the 22.5cc trimmer. But the 30 cc engine has way more power. It's just flat out is a better machine. Now it cost a hundred bucks more, but when you run it for a while, you know where that $100 went. The 30 cc engine is even lighter than the 27cc engine. But it makes more power. The dealer here in town doesn't even stock 27cc engine trimmers anymore because they have less power and are heavier.

22.5cc:
Screenshot_20230516_022336_Brave.jpg

30cc:
Screenshot_20230516_022433_Brave.jpg

Same. I don't think you can adjust the carb as the adjustments are made so that it's capped at the factory.
You can easily drill out the cap. I needed to do it after about a year of ownership of my srm-225. Not a big deal IMO. If you brought it to a dealer, that’s exactly what they would do, but would have to put the cap back on.

Having said that, mine is a 2011 or 2012 model and has been running great thus far without any issues.

You can easily drill out the cap. I needed to do it after about a year of ownership of my srm-225. Not a big deal IMO. If you brought it to a dealer, that’s exactly what they would do, but would have to put the cap back on.

Having said that, mine is a 2011 or 2012 model and has been running great thus far without any issues.
Wonder what changed to require you to adjust it?

I thought that the manual for mine, bought last year, said to adjust the carb after the first 10 hours of operation to account for changes in break-in.

I haven’t done it, especially considering that I use it maybe 15 minutes a week and bought it late in the season last year.

Back