Will a 20w60 burn less oil than a 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I actaully want my oil to be solid at room temperature

Like I said... Zerk fittings on the rod/main caps are your next step.
laugh.gif

Ok , no 20w60 then i will just stay with VR1 20w50 which most people agree is a good oil for my application , no need to mock me and be an absolute fu#%tard like Nick though...

OK, I wasn't exactly mocking you.. more making a joke that I thought you might think was funny... But it really is my honest opinion that you really are getting a little bit carried away with the whole "thick oil and so much zinc its a paste" thing.

I'm feeling sorry for this Capri.

OP, its like, what, 150 degrees where you live?

And did you try thinner oil first, (like, regular 5W-30 or even a 20-grade) to see if it helped any of your problems? Serious question on the trying thinner oil first. You'd be surprised what it can do.

The lowest grade my owner's manual allows for is 10w30 and I have tried it in the past with no I'll effects but most people here seems to agree VR1 20/50 Will be just fine, I'm not trying a 5w30 or 5w20... When it clearly burns less on 20w50 than it did on 10w40
Why are you feeling sorry ? I don't get it

I have a Jeep 4.0 - which people claim loves heavy oils.

Mine makes a lot of noise with 5/10w-40.

It is quiet (apart from it's usual piston/flex plate rattle) on 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I actaully want my oil to be solid at room temperature

Like I said... Zerk fittings on the rod/main caps are your next step.
laugh.gif

Ok , no 20w60 then i will just stay with VR1 20w50 which most people agree is a good oil for my application , no need to mock me and be an absolute fu#%tard like Nick though...

OK, I wasn't exactly mocking you.. more making a joke that I thought you might think was funny... But it really is my honest opinion that you really are getting a little bit carried away with the whole "thick oil and so much zinc its a paste" thing.

OK I guess you are kind of right about that, keep in mind a year ago I was still one of those oil is oil and there ain't nothing more to it type of guys I'm learning

Dude, you kept saying that the manual calls for 20w50, so that's what people were recommending.

If you told them the truth that it also calls for 10w30, you wouldn't have gotten those recommendations.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
This thread (and the other million similar ones) is sounding more and more like there's and "engineer" on the other end...

It's his Spanish cousin
grin.gif

Last edited:
I am failing to see why you even need a 20w50.

Is that the only spec'd oil for your car?

Average summer temps where you live are less than Indiana's. Lol.

My haynes manual calls for 10W30 or higher, my Ford manual calls for 20w40 or 20w50 , but also says 10w40 is ok to use, why do you think i should not use it when i have had great results? If i shouldn't be running it tell me why...

Don't have those here, i am currently running a HM oil which is Shell Hx3 and you don't have that in the states, and have had great results,
I'm tired of this thread now, bye

My haynes manual calls for 10W30 or higher, my Ford manual calls for 20w40 or 20w50 , but also says 10w40 is ok to use, why do you think i should not use it when i have had great results? If i shouldn't be running it tell me why...

Your Ford manual was written in early 70s with oils available at that time in mind. Oils did progress in the last 40 years you know. Actually, they are greatly improved.
They now need to stay in grade for the length of its predicted service. That was not the case in the 70s. Back then Ford knew that 20w50 will share to 40 grade in a short time plus add fuel dilution on that from carburettors'.

Todays oils are different world to the ones back then. European fuel is best in the world. You use car in a calm manner which also wasn't true for much of the original owners since car was a sports car, and many also exploit those potentials.
You certainly won't drive the car as someone when car was new.
People here gave you lots of good advice that you keep ignoring. Stay with that VR1, it's a good oil. I've already mentioned Selenia HPX, certainly better product than any you have used for your application.

Ideally (if there were no oil consumption problem) you would be best suited for 10w40 semy or 15w40 mineral. Of course that is out of the question since you have to keep oil consumption as low as possible.
You know elevated oil consumption is problematic not only for inconvenience, but also leads to carbon build up in combustion chamber which can cause pinging, pre ignition, spot overheating, and in extreme cases piston burnout.
Think about some fuel additive for valve/chamber cleaning.

I use Wynns Cleaning additive ever now and then and i only use 98 Octane BP super, when i ran 10w40 the plugs didn't get too dirty and now on 20w50 they look a little better, if the engine were brand new i would use a good 15w40 too like Total classic

Originally Posted By: chrisri

People here gave you lots of good advice that you keep ignoring. Stay with that VR1, it's a good oil.

Yes, seems like that . I used to follow my outdated 1980s manual too, which specifies 20W-50. I decided to try 40wts after engine overhaul and am extremely pleased with the results..next another leap of faith, ACEA A3/B4 10W-30.

Last edited:
I use Wynns Cleaning
FordCapriDriver said:
Don't have those here, i am currently running a HM oil which is Shell Hx3 and you don't have that in the states, and have had great results,
I'm tired of this thread now, bye

And then:

I have looked into Selenia , maybe i will use it after VR1

And then:

Quote:
ever now and then and i only use 98 Octane BP super, when i ran 10w40 the plugs didn't get too dirty and now on 20w50 they look a little better, if the engine were brand new i would use a good 15w40 too like Total classic

smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back