Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past two weeks now I have been reading the old posts about oils and such, and one thing has caught my eye and attention: people seem to judge things like ST oil harshly, and some people like myself like/and dont mind it. I mean; honestly, my father uses it in his 01' dakota, he used it in his 92' dakota and uses it in his 91' grand am "iron duke" 2.5 4cyl. I see a lot of people love it and use it, then others say "its not SN RATED". Who cares, as I said, for about 6-8 months we used nothing but ST oil in 5W30 and 10W 30 and 5W20 oils without ANY problems. I may be going off here; but please be realistic; as I seem to see a trend with people here that either love PENNZOIL, CASTROL, or VALVOLINE or MOBIL 1 and others. I dont believe in paying for advertising, gimmicks and b.s. and I wont. Granted up until 2 weeks ago, I used valvoline, but honestly; from reading here, I thought wal mart ST would not be a bad idea to try. I like it so far as my car doesnt use, burn or leak any oil at all, with 115,000 on it. Sorry if I offended, p.o'ed anyone here but let me know your thoughts, opinions and feelings on this subject please. I am all ears.

adam

It all depends on what you are doing and how much money you have to put into UOA's for an arguments sake.

Some oils do a lot better than others for extended OCI's . but if you are the avid "I change my oil every 3k or 3 months" then Supertech is just fine

You have to understand that Warren was class action sued for non-spec gear oil (and lost), then shortly after there were a couple VOA's where the ZDDP levels were only about 400ppm which is dangerously low and also out of spec. So around three~six years ago it certainly was garbage, and only priced about a buck below better products. So don't judge past opinions on current product.

In the last few years the VOA and UOAs have come back much better. I still don't see why anyone would use it since it's not any cheaper than other similar quality/better history products.

Also, keep in mind some SuperTech is WPP, some is Mobil.

Last edited:
Hello djquik1, and thank you for the honest, reply. My father did a few UOA's on his 01' dakota, and he uses/used wix filters and his results turned out ok, doing 5,500 mile oci's. He still does that on his 01' dakota and 91' grand am with the iron duke 2.5 4cyl. I will try to do a UOA at 5k on the SUPER TECH oil and post back

adam

Hello bepperb and do you recall if this was like a yr ago or few months back? Not tryin to pick nits, or anything just curious. I also have a family friend in Punxsutawney where I grew up that always used the ST OIL in his Nissan pickup, and he had a 95 or 96 maxima, that I helped him fix up; body panels, and engine work, and he used 5w30 ST in that. He bought that car at like 190k, and gave it to his daughter at like 300k, and she still drives it. He never has had a oil related problem with the stuff he tells me. I think I will try it for the 5k oci, then if everything is going good still, will keep on using it. Remember, hondas are easy on oil. My 03' civic starts right up all the time; no problems. In the winter, I still have to park on sidewalk, but landlady said I could park in the heated garage below first story of the house I live in.

ST motor oil I would not worry about, but for gear oil and ATF... I would rather spend a little more and get a much better fluid.

Your 2003 Civic is very easy on oil.

There is nothing wrong with any oil that carries the API and/or the ILSAC ratings IMO. For years I used Sears best Spectrum 10w-40 in my Olds 455ci engine and a 225ci. Plymouth with great results. Don't spend more than you need on oil. FWIW--Oldtommy

Hello LT4 VETTE, and to be honest, my father is great friends with a guy that uses the ST UNIVERSAL TRACTOR fluid in a 63 or 64 falcon sprint that has a auto trans in it, and he uses that or the JOHN DEERE HY GARD FLUID. Lately he has been using the HY GARD TRACTOR FLUID(JD) and has had no problems in it. My father used some of the ST grease as he couldnt find mobil 1's grease anywhere in Punxsutawney. No problems, but he said to me to use MOBIL 1 GREASE, and I have, and its a good grease.

thanks for your reply and info.

adam

I don't like ST because it doesn't meet the specs I need and even if it did, I dont trust it's quality. IIRC ST gear lube was recalled due to improper additives. Given price pressure from a place like wm, you can be sure it is formulated to the bare minimum specs/requirements, on the ragged edge of being right as a commodity product. Kind of like buying noname gas. Most of the time it is fine, sometimes you get burned bad.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I don't like ST because it doesn't meet the specs I need and even if it did, I dont trust it's quality. IIRC ST gear lube was recalled due to improper additives. Given price pressure from a place like wm, you can be sure it is formulated to the bare minimum specs/requirements, on the ragged edge of being right as a commodity product. Kind of like buying noname gas. Most of the time it is fine, sometimes you get burned bad.

Earlier in another BITOG section I saw something on ST filter that might me interesting. Filter section probably.

Why dont you JHZR2 and Errtt look up BILL IN UTAH here. He has had success using them, and next oil change I plan to use a 7317 ST. I dont buy that its "formulated to the bare minimum b.s." either, as I have talked to farmers in my hometown that use a lot of ST fluids and other folks that have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. No name gas also means youre getting gas with WATER AND ALCOHOL JUST SO YA KNOW AS I TESTED LOTS OF DIESEL AND KEROSENE AND FRESH LUBE OIL ON MY SHIPS AS A OIL KING. BAD GAS/FUEL ALSO HAS CONTAMINANTS AND (CENSORED) IN IT.

Silver_civic,

You have stated in this tread and another that you refuse to pay for advertising and decoration. That is clearly your choice to make. However, as long as the majority of the consumers make purchases based exclusively on price, then they are also choosing to not pay for Research and Development. Again, clearly their choice. Some of today's price is tomorrow's innovation. I see store brands as making innovative progress in the area of mass production or distribution while benefiting from the research of others.

To be flat out honest and upfront and totally real, in peoples faces and such; currently my company(the company name I will not divulge) we use safety kleen 5w30 oil year around and we havent had any oil problems with it, nor did we with super tech oil PERIOD. I would use ST, SAFETY KLEEN if I didnt know either. You could tell me safety kleen is ST and I would probably still use it. My other technician who is a GM/TOYOTA master tech said that oil never wears out; the additive pack wears and sludge/acids from engine operation wear out. He uses ST oil in his brand new silverado regular 8" ft bed 4x4 truck without a problem for 6k oci.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
Why dont you JHZR2 and Errtt look up BILL IN UTAH here. He has had success using them, and next oil change I plan to use a 7317 ST. I dont buy that its "formulated to the bare minimum b.s." either, as I have talked to farmers in my hometown that use a lot of ST fluids and other folks that have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. No name gas also means youre getting gas with WATER AND ALCOHOL JUST SO YA KNOW AS I TESTED LOTS OF DIESEL AND KEROSENE AND FRESH LUBE OIL ON MY SHIPS AS A OIL KING. BAD GAS/FUEL ALSO HAS CONTAMINANTS AND (CENSORED) IN IT.

What is an oil king?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back