Newbie here: Best oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron Supreme or Havoline oil as mentioned above. Napa Gold oil filer. Especially if Napa is convenient.

From all info that I have read on this www., it appears that the oil filter is not as important as the oil. Especially if changing at 2000 miles.

Maybe I should say that there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to which oil filter is better. There is more "agreement" on dino oils.

I personally buy 12 Baldwin's (case) at a time on internet.

I'm curious as to why a lot people think the Purolator filters are in some way inferior to other brands when the Motorcraft filters are nothing more than a PureOne filter cartridge in a PremiumPlus can?

There might be a few exceptions to the above but all the Motorcraft filters I've cut open are clearly identified as PureOne cartridges.

Oh boy! Am I gonna be armed and ready when I go shopping for oil today.
grin.gif
Thanks guys!

Rob with a motor like that it may depend on your drive habits, if your only driving once a while and rodding it, you may want go with a 15w40. it may also depending on the tolerances the were put in the engine when it was built, plus that cam setup maybe a factor too

Robwest, the Delo type oils are the best oils you can use, other than the premium synthetic oils. The Delo types are considered heavy duty oils, for commercial duty gas and diesel oils . If it is not to cold for a 15w/40 where you live the oil will be good. They are available in 10w/30 ,but probably have to order it from a oil jobber. Filters ? ? since you spent alot of money on your engine go for a K@N or M1 I have cut open a lot of filters and napa golds don't impress me. Also i don't know what block you have but there is a huge filter I think the Fram # is ph 373 holds 2 quarts it is a truck filter and is available in other than fram brands if you cross reference

[ January 05, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

Originally posted by RobWest:
What is the best all around conventional oil and filter?

Uh, Wesson and Fram?

Jes' kidding....
grin.gif

I have been told that Penzoil is very good and the numbers posted by others confirm this. Chevron seems decent, and I know that Wally world sells Castrol GTX cheaply, which I have had good luck with.

With conventional oil the trick seems to be to change it often ("no solution like dilution").

A few have said the Supertech filters they sell are decent. I like the Napa Gold filters, as well as the K&N's.

welcome.gif

Bob W.

Try havoline, citgo, mobil drive clean but, I have seen very good things about super tech made by Warren Petroleum Products in my area. As for a filter Purolator is my favorite, no engine noise at start up that I have experience with like Wix, Fram, AC Delco. My personal opinion is to stay away from FRAM. I have seen Frams blow up on cars, filter elements collapsed etc...

Filter: K&N for flow and cannister durability
Purolator Gold for all around performance

Oil: I'll give you a name, but, oh, it is so much more than oil...it is the Elvish Elixer, the Lavish Lubricant, the Excellent Emollient, the Tribological Triumph, the Fervent Foe of Friction...it is......it is..........Castrol SLX (aka GC).
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back