Why pay more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do not think that Supertech Oil is bad, there are plenty of better oils for you to run in your car. Spend the extra money that you are going to save by buying the Supertech filter and buy a better oil. JMO, Joe

Don't underestimate Walmart. They're the planet's #1 buying force. Walmart get's what Walmart wants with little, if any, sacrifices. Walmart sets the rules and for every vendor that says "no" there are a multitude of others "chomping at the bit" for Walmart shelf space.

(I know because I used to deal with their corp. purchasing group in Bentonville.)

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I like to know how is makeing my oil. I have some bias's as we all do. I know that Walmart is always going to go with the lowest bidder and that is seldom the way to get a good product. Often times price points mean short cuts. I do not want any inferior products in my vechile. I also think that a company will take more effort to see to it that the product with their name on it has better spec.'s and quality controls! I have used Walmarts oil in the past but I was not useing OA so I do not know what I was getting. I am useing right now for the 1st treatment of Auto-Rx. It seemed silly to waste good oil. I also figured even a bad oil could make it 500-1000 miles! The only way to truly tell is to use some for 3000 miles and test it! I think I might try their $2.97 a quart synthetic for 5000 miles if cost was an option before I would try their $.84 dino oil for regular use.Better oils then ST are normaly on sale each week if you jest read the local sales flyers you can really get some good deals on dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
Don't underestimate Walmart. They're the planet's #1 buying force. Walmart get's what Walmart wants with little, if any, sacrifices.

Do you honestly think low engine wear is Walmart's top priority though? No! Lowest price is. So don't expect them to have a great oil and a low price.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Don't underestimate Walmart. They're the planet's #1 buying force. Walmart get's what Walmart wants with little, if any, sacrifices.

Do you honestly think low engine wear is Walmart's top priority though? No! Lowest price is. So don't expect them to have a great oil and a low price.

Also, it could change at anytime without you knowing just to keep their profit margin up.

No I wouldn't. Knowing Walmart, I'd, suspect the goal of Supertech is equivalent quality at lower price. (equivalent to name brands)

I wouldn't hesistate using it in place of the others like Quaker State, Castrol, etc but it ain't no Redline nor never will be.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

I'm more likely to suspect that Wal*Mart's goal with their oil is to get the lowest of low bid oil that won't have the customers lined up at the return desk.

Ken

offtopic.gif

I for one resent some of Walmarts business policies and I rarely shop there. It seems a lot of posters on this board only buy what is available at Walmart.

If you live in an area where there is Wally World and only one dump of an autoparts store with high prices I can't blame you but if you have options I hope you'll check them out.

I shop at Costco and they probably kill off the little guys as much as Walmart but they don't seem so predatory about it. Most of the auto parts stores where I live are chains but there are others that have some real knowledge to offer. I don't find that from the twerp with his digits up his nose at Walmart.

patriot.gif

Probably. Cars are expensive so I like to use well known brands. #2

[ May 18, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Let's not forget that even the oil companies can change forumlas at will. How many formulas have their been for Mobil 1????

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Can't everything said about wal mart be applied to NAPA? ie, they can shift vendors in a heartbeat?

Things seem all too frequently black or white on this site. While there are superior oils, that doesns't mean an oil that's not up to Pennzoil or Castrol GTX standards is dangerous to use as some here are implying. I happen to subscribe to the notion that if an oil carries the current API service qualification, it's NOT a bad oil for cars that require that level of protection. All bets are off for those engines calling for even more stingent protection, but owners of those makes probably wouldn't think of having their cars serviced by the likes of WallyWorld anyway - which brings up another consideration: WallyWorld also does quickie oil and filter changes. (Yes, I've read the horror stories about the quick-lube places and I avoid them. B-U-T, a LOT of car owners DO take advantage of the convenience factor and not all of them are totally clueless, either.) The last thing WallyWorld needs are oil and/or filter related complaints stemming from store-name products allegedly causing engine damage. Ironically most of you guys continue to indict Fram oil filters as subpar, but hail Champion Labs as making reasonably decent oil filters. And who supplies SuperTech oil filters? Is that evidence at all that Champion Labs was the lowest bidder? Really? With WallyWorld's deep pockets, it simply wouldn't pay to cheap out over a few cents when a short block or thousand might be at stake. Bentonville, AR is by no means too small a target for the American Trial Lawyers Association to center in its crosshairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back