Why pay more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Green Max:
I am using GTX with Nissan filter in my own car but for argument's sake, could you tell me why all of you prefer Castrol? I looked up the oil analyses reports and didn't see a significant difference between the two oils, yet GTX is twice as expensive ($1.66 vs $0.84). Please convince me why I shouldn't spare my cash next time.
smile.gif

Re:"could you tell me why all of you prefer Castrol...."

Castrol is one of those funny things in life, like coffee in the morning, or pancakes 'n maple syrup, etc. Or turkey for Thanksgiving. Castrol is an institution. From when the teenager climbs on his first dirt bike, Grandpa and Mom 'n Dad tell him, "Castrol is the One." At least, that is how it was, is, and will be for ever and ever in the Flimflam family line.

As to your question why people(other than the Flimflam family) prefer Castrol, for many years I've gone round asking grizzled, seasoned mechanics and shop managers why this is so. None of them could give me a clear and definite answer. Most answers were along the lines of: "Castrol is the one. It just is. Nobody knows or cares why. They just use it."

But for a first-hand personal account, I have personally run engines that lost all their coolant because of a failed hose. After complete cooling system failure(radiator now completely dry), I ran the things until the crankcase/sump went dry, the intense heat had caused all the motor oil to volatilize or "boil off." I was not being a wise guy, just no shoulder on that particular highway, no off ramp for miles, too. After those awful episodes of auto abuse, the machines concerned needed no service whatsoever 'cept for new radiator hoses. This was in the 1990's. Oil that protected the cars? Castrol GTX dinosaur oil....10W-40.

In the 1980's, I raced production air-cooled motorcycles. Ran some of them to 11,500 rpm, engine internals box-stock. No synthetic oil. Just Castrol GTX 20W-50. When the 20W-50 couldn't take the heat, switched to monograde Dino Castrol HD-30. After racing they were used as daily drivers to get me to school and work. Never had any engine opened up in the avarage of 15 years ownership per vehicle.

That is why I say, "Castrol is the One." And I also say, "Synthetics? Who needs 'em?"

P.S.-- It is now Winter, and I get _____instant_____ oil pressure on cold morning start-up, with no noise or valve clacking sounds whatsoever. Castrol GTX 5W-30. I say, why add worries with strange loud clacking noises with that 3X more expensive snake[synthetic] oil?

I'd pick option #4.

4) SuperTech filter and Chevron Supreme ($1.08/qt)

or option #5

5) SuperTech filter with Mobil Drive Clean

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

P.S.-- It is now Winter, and I get _____instant_____ oil pressure on cold morning start-up, with no noise or valve clacking sounds whatsoever. Castrol GTX 5W-30. I say, why add worries with strange loud clacking noises with that 3X more expensive snake[synthetic] oil?

I like GTX as well, I truly believe it shows better wear numbers than Castrol's more expensive Syntec. But at the same time, I don't see it being as good of a cold weather oil as some other oils, such as Pennzoil 5w30 for instance. Besides, how cold can it possibly get in Galveston? Certainly not down to 0F or below?

Patman, you are right. It does not get that cold in Galveston. But I lived in NY City for a long time too, 1990-1993 I had a small-engine import subcompact that had only GTX 20W-50 in it, I would not allow the mechanics to put in any other motor oil. Ah, that car and the oil in its crankcase. Even when I had to spend 30 minutes to dig it out of its snow and ice tomb, it started without a hitch, first try, every time. I always had oil pressure from the first second.

1994-1998 I had a 351 cu. inch V-8 Bronco[year 1981 model? somewhere around 1981. Can't recall.]. This in New York, too. For this one, I decided to go with Castrol HD-30 monograde dinosaur oil. Some Summers I would use the heavier HD-40. Again, no problems in hot weather or cold. Almost-Instant oil pressure, about 3 sec after turning the key.

Concurrent with the Bronco, I also used and had the responsibility of maintaining my girlfriend's 1986 Thunderbird with 2.8L V-6. This one had, again, exclusively Castrol oil in it.....10W-40, my NY mechanic recommended and I agreed with him. In the coldest NY winters, that T-Bird started first try, every time[Ah, except for electrical problem episodes...Ford owners will give a knowing smile]. T-bird was sold in 10/2000 or 11/2000.

Both Bronco and T-Bird had in excess of 150,000 miles on them. Till the day they were sold, neither myself nor my mechanics knew what they looked like on the inside.

The small import I had from '90-'93, it was stolen after I had only owned it 2.5 or 2.75 years. By the time it was stolen, it had 58,000 miles on it. I learned one thing when I had it(apart from never parking a non-Ford on the street in NY City, hahaha!!!!!!). It's that not all 20W-50 oils are created equal. Once, a New Jersey mechanic snuck in a load of CITGO 20W-50 when I wasn't looking. The next day, I found that my car would not rev. It was like, glue in my engine. I drove back to the shop and said, what gives? The guy admitted sneaking CITGO oil into my engine. I made him dump the whole load and filter too, and replace with GTX 20W-50. Ran like new again after the GTX was put in.

With the small import, I went to Buffalo, Syracuse, Oswego a lot. Whooo-Wee, talk about cold!!!!! Never mind cold morning starts being hard on my engine. I thought I would die of frostbite and hypothermia before my engine felt any ill-effects of cold starts! Even in those Western NY State conditions, I never had a problem with mineral oil.....Castrol mineral oil. So, believe me.....synthetics.....ya don't need 'em.

quote:

Originally posted by Paul:
Patman- Where in Mississauga are you getting Castrol for less than $6????

-Paul

Paul, all of the Walmarts around here had a huge supply of both 5w30 and 10w30 jugs of GTX for $5.98 a few weeks ago, but this weekend I noticed that the Meadowvale Walmart no longer had any. The Airport/Queen Walmart in Brampton was clearing out their 5w30 jugs for an even $5! They still had dozens of them on Saturday. I also saw the jugs at Highway 10/Highway 7 Walmart in Heart Lake too.

Their signs said everyday price, but obviously it was just a short run. Now they seem to have a new 4.4L jug which is over $10.

So grab the special price while you can, it appears to be over soon.

Kmart's weekly ad showed Castrol on sale for $1.29/qt. Should be good through this Saturday. The Wal-Marts in SE Michigan have Castrol GTX in 5-qt jugs, but it's $7.68, which is > $1.50/qt - no bargain.

Walmart sell's alot of good oils. I picked up 1 gallon jug of Delvac 1300 for $5.78, Rotella T was $5.98 a gallon Penz Long Life was $5.29 a gallon(can not bring myself to use Penzoil). Growing up my Dad only ued Castrol 20W50 and 10W30 and Fram filters. I had a hard time breaking my Castrol habit. When they decieved me with switch from PAO to group III in Syntec they lost a customer for life by lieing. I have torn into alot engines run on Castrol and have never found any sludge and very little varnish. My Dad was a bit fanatical about maintence though! In europe he changed the oil every 1800 miles and in the USA he changed it every 2500 miles. Our engines were always clean inside. I think Castrol R(from the 1950's) made from seed oil was responable for the fierce loyalty as it would protected better then any other oil inspite of how dirty it was. This was back when some oil was in clear glass bottles! I am almost 30 and I can still remeber the round oil can's when I started to work as a tech. As a young kid the ability to pour oil with out getting any on the valve cover was like a right of passage!! Keep your optons open if price is a motivateing factor. Look into Baldwin filters. They have two lines their standard filters are great buy at $4.60 and their HPG series High Performance Glass are the same one that Amsoil sells for $10.00. The HPG's blow M1 filters out of the water and can be had for about $6.

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Re:"could you tell me why all of you prefer Castrol...."

Castrol is one of those funny things in life, like coffee in the morning, or pancakes 'n maple syrup, etc. Or turkey for Thanksgiving. Castrol is an institution. From when the teenager climbs on his first dirt bike, Grandpa and Mom 'n Dad tell him, "Castrol is the One." At least, that is how it was, is, and will be for ever and ever in the Flimflam family line.
[/Quote

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I ran Castrol 10W50 exclusively (yes they made a 10W50, hard to find) in a 77 VW Rabbit in CT. Car had 115,000 when I sold it (rest was falling apart) and purchased a Volvo in which I used a 10W30 as recommended in manual. Bearing went at 80,000 miles. Was it bad luck, Castrol 10W30, Tufoil (last two oil changes) who knows (Personally blame the Tufoil) but I went to synthetics after that and never looked back. I will never use Castrol, Tufoil or purchase a Volve again and never have.

If budget and 3k intervals are the goal, I'd use an AC Delco filter and Chevron Supreme or Pennzoil. (Pennzoil has moly!!)

I would never buy a Castrol product after the consumer deception scheme they used with Syntec. (fake synthetic at the price of the real thing)

quote:

Originally posted by PontTransAm1978:
I was just thinking about this...
Why should I pay more for The Castrol GTX I use, if SuperTech is half the Price? And you guys said Pretty Much any oil can go 3k no problem. You also said, I shouldnt use my GTX with my M1 Filter for more than 4k. So... If I use SuperTech, and a M1 Filter, and just change it 1k earlier (a.k.a. 3k oil changes), It saves me over 5 bucks per change.
Am I missing Something?
-Thanks

PTA1978: IMO the only thing you are missing by changing at 3K using Wal-Mart brands is paying for advertising.

I would run the supertech synthetic filter, I feel it filters well enough
grin.gif
and for $2-3 its all I need. If I don't run one of those, I run the AC Delco on my Camaro.

I would also run something else besides the supertech oil unless I hated my car, I just refuse to run a non name brand oil in my car.
dunno.gif
I dont know why it just seems wrong. I guess I love my car too much
crushedcar.gif

As for oil, its a toss up we all make, but if you're anal you can always analyze it and find what you like best!

cheers.gif

I would recommend whatever dino oil you can get on sale plus a Wix, AC Delco or Bosch filter.

The Costcos out West carry Chevron Supreme oil for 10-12 bucks a case. This is good stuff and a 6 dollar filter is only a happy meal more than the Super Tech. It is worth it to me with the 1 vehicle I have that I run dino oil.

I like to know how is makeing my oil. I have some bias's as we all do. I know that Walmart is always going to go with the lowest bidder and that is seldom the way to get a good product. Often times price points mean short cuts. I do not want any inferior products in my vechile. I also think that a company will take more effort to see to it that the product with their name on it has better spec.'s and quality controls! I have used Walmarts oil in the past but I was not useing OA so I do not know what I was getting. I am useing right now for the 1st treatment of Auto-Rx. It seemed silly to waste good oil. I also figured even a bad oil could make it 500-1000 miles! The only way to truly tell is to use some for 3000 miles and test it! I think I might try their $2.97 a quart synthetic for 5000 miles if cost was an option before I would try their $.84 dino oil for regular use.Better oils then ST are normaly on sale each week if you jest read the local sales flyers you can really get some good deals on dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back