Why no tire forums?

3783-KC1

Site Donor 2024
Kinda just curious why there aren't any specific tire forums. If a site like BITOG can be relatively successful, then why has no one seemed to try a specific tire forum? You know, like a site to discuss tire compounds, materials, and design sorta like VOAs and UOAs.

I think people have stronger opinion bias on tires than they even do oil. Just look at the arguments over plugs as a permanent repair, plugs in sidewalls and never rotating just replacing in pairs.

Brand bias is also strong. I’ve seen that from customers, on forums and on Facebook groups.

Also usage and treatment varies. I might tell you that brand X makes the quietest all terrain truck tires but if you never rotate them you’ll have noise and think I’m a dumbass for recommending them.

If you start a forum you gotta have @CapriRacer on there or it’s pointless. That guy knows tire tech and proper procedures.

The aggravating thing is a set of tires lasts five years, by which point they don't make that model anymore, so you have to try something new every. darn. time.

Then half the user base will read all those reviews and spontaneously buy Chinese maypops from a discount store because they're in stock.

Also, most of this forum changes their oil, but only a very few mount their own tires.

Last edited:
If a site like BITOG can be relatively successful
This isn't an "oil" site, contrary to what the name is. It covers pretty much all aspects of vehicles. Personally, I believe sites that are so narrow-focused are set up to fail, i.e. a "9th-generation Honda Civic" forum (it exists).

Thanks for the complement, but I thought that was this forum was about. Why have another?
Actually, the website in your sig has the information I was looking for in a tire forum. Just wanted to know more about some specific mechanics of tires.

I feel like it would be a low volume main topic for a forum, tire changes are much lower frequency than oil changes.

Even though the chemistry of a tire would be interesting, the mechanics (the different elements of the construction-stiffness, # of plies, the way they're wrapped and folded during manufacture etc.) is fairly straightforward and wouldn't warrant much more commentary than the laying carpet or roofing.

People would log on and say the same things over and over.....can't have that, can we?

In another vein, we know "most" people don't keep track of fuel mileage or tire mileage. Sure, there are some thoughtful people here who do track such things and more but the avenues for commentary as we already know, are limited. Those avenues would quickly become familiar streets on a tire forum. "They wore lousy" or "They wore good", is what it'd boil down to.

"Yeah, I had a set of those 20 years ago. The model name was different as was the tread pattern. I don't know how they wore as I sold the car." is what we're reading now.

Plus, all the inevitable negative reviews (internet posting bias) would not attract advertisers.

TIRE REVELATION:
When the family was into Saabs and Volvos, many examples of which are turbocharged, I got into the respective websites.
Among the first things I learned was that there are many folk who have the resources and inclination to pound on their vehicles.
All the "car rompers" who'd grouse about only getting 10K to 20K out of their V,W,X,Y and Z rated softies kinda rubbed me the wrong way.
What did the lead foots with soft, crumbly tires expect?

Back