Why no M1 0W-20 Fully synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
That M1 EP you are using in 0w20 is often tracked down (on this website) for having the highest PAO percentage along with some Group III and the standard touch of Esterex Mobil adds.
Don’t worry about 15k and overkill … follow OLM computer … you have a nice ride there …
I have the exact oil in the new Tahoe ...

Perfect! Thanks for the response on this. Good points. I am leaning in this direction since it might be that much better than Regular Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I believe the OP is answering his own question.

NOPE! BBHero and 4WD did. See prior post. I did not know AFE was just rebranded Regular M1 0W-20. I am a Newbie.. Thats why I was asking for an education. I understand it now. I am good now.

Thanks guys

AFE 0w20 is what the "regular Mobil 1" would be if 0wt oils weren't meant for fuel economy. There is no 0w20 Mobil 1 in a package without an AFE label but if not for marketing it would be the one. So use AFE. Where do you live? AFE is cheaper than EP everywhere I've been.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
AFE 0w20 is what the "regular Mobil 1" would be if 0wt oils weren't meant for fuel economy. There is no 0w20 Mobil 1 in a package without an AFE label but if not for marketing it would be the one. So use AFE. Where do you live? AFE is cheaper than EP everywhere I've been.

Thanks for the explanation. I got it now.

I am in Suburbs of Atlanta. It's been crazy here. The reverse is true of the price of 5qt jugs here...AP is @ $50. AFE has been $32.99 and EP $29.99(autozone/advance auto prices) Both Walmart's Close to where I live are WAYY cheaper but dont have 0W-20 stocked in EP. I end up changing the oil on my wife's car\ the same time as mine so need ~ 11-qts.

Any oil that is 0w20 will by full synthetic, conventional has come a long way over the last 30-40 years but I don't think there will ever be a day where conventional 0w20 will hit the market.

Pull yourself together - you can do this...Just go into a store and buy some Mobil 0w-20 Synthetic Oil and put it in your car. You can also use another brand like Pennzoil or Valvoline. Everything is going to be ok...

Nuff said,

Yes indeed … that’s the PG I just drained from the Fusion “Gasoline/Electric” …

Last edited:
Addyguy covered it nicely. When you look at our shelves, at least, M1 AFE 0w-20 is the same price as M1 5w-20, and M1 AFE 0w-30 same as M1 5w-30. I suppose AFE is just a way to make it stand out a little bit, especially with how Mobil states that M1 0w-20 is perfectly acceptable for use in applications calling for 5w-20, and the 0w-30 for 5w-30 and 10w-30 applications.

Otherwise, having M1 0w-20 and M1 AFE 0w-20 at the same price and the same certifications and same mileage guarantee would seem a little redundant, not to mention a major aggravation to those stocking shelves.
wink.gif
They sometimes have enough trouble discerning between Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 C3 and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 SN/GF-5, let alone this.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
Nissan recommends 0w-20 (5W-30 is an option)

I just got a new 2017.5 Nissan Murano (will be our 3rd Murano!) and they must have changed it in this mid-cycle refresh because NO where in my manual does it state 5w-30 is an "option". It now just says 0w-20 for all temps and service. I even tried to find anywhere they may have worded it I could use something other than 0w-20 for higher temps or something but nothing.

I am guessing since 0w-20 is pretty much only available as a synthetic (I know there might be some obscure blends out there but I haven't seen any), Nissan is comfortable just simplifying the recommended oil. Saved them a little bit of $$ on ink in the manual...

Also, someone said to follow the OLM but the Murano doesn't have on. I don't think any Nissan does??

BTW I have just hit 5k miles on mine and I have a jug of Valvoline Synthetic 0w-20 ready for this weekend to do. It is currently on Rollback at Wal-Mart for $21.97 in the new easy pour jugs.

IMO any of the Mobil 1 0W20 oils will work in your application if it calls for that grade. 0W30 and 5W30 should work well too, if they gave you that option.

Now I can just about bet $100 to a $1 that Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20 easily exceeds Nissan oil specification for a 17 Murano. In fact I have heard that Mobil Super Synthetic is used in bulk at their dealerships. They even use (holding to something sturdy now) Mobil Special 5w30 in bulk at a number of their dealerships as well.

Overall you advice is very good outside of that part.

Last edited:
Both 0w20 and 0w30 Mobil 1 used to be marketed as 'regular' Mobil 1 (with a silver cap).
Mobil 1 decided to add a green cap and tout their fuel saving nature and RENAMED them AFE. The oil in the container remained the exact same. When you buy AFE you are getting 'regular Mobil 1'.....which in my opinion is one of their best products and their best value at WM 'Rollback' prices.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I know exactly what you are saying here... Where is the "Regular" Mobil 1 0w20 ??

Good question.

I'm thinking the same thing. The OP is looking for regular Mobil 1 as we once knew it(having only one-Mobil 1 in different grades). However, Mobil now has several levels of Mobil 1 oils as stated(AFE, EP, AP, HM).

Last edited:
Ohh yeah that exactly right my friend. There's a number of different Mobil 1 0w20s out for sure. I would roll with M1 0w20 Extended Performance due to it's relatively high HTHS of 2.7. Given the nature of the VQ motors to shear oil out of grade.... I would rather have a higher starting HTHS to begin with. Also being that M1 Extended Performance is thought to be a "higher" Pao base would make it more resistant to losing it's viscosity over the course of a run.

Cmon guys.
All MobilOne oils are full syn.
Just pick the price level you want and forget about it.
Your engine will not notice any difference.
I think M1 has too many different names for basically the same oil.
You could use ST syn and not tell any difference.

Isn't M1 0W20 "regular Mobil 1" with "Advanced Fuel Economy" being their trade name for it because it's their thinnest oil and it's marketed at getting good fuel mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back