Why isn't High Performance Lubricants advertised as a long OCI oil?

it IS suitable for a long drain. They recommend it. People on here have used it in extended drain intervals.

Your question is based on a faulty premise - they don’t advertise much, if at all.
I don't see anything on their site claiming it. That is why I asked.

Your question is based on a faulty premise - they don’t advertise much, if at all.
Why would one pay for advertising when free word of mouth travels as fast as a Californian wildfire in front of a stiff breeze? Plus it’s not some phony marketing, it’s real, personal experience.

This was rhetorical because I was agreeing with your statement.

Their website mentions "extended" oci's but to many people that could mean anywhere from 5000-20000 miles.
I'd imagine in the world of fleet vehicles that would mean the factory oci or longer based on monitoring via UOA's. There are a lot of variables outside the control of HPL like filtration and health of the engine so it's probably a conversation which comes up during the ordering process.

Their oils are used for long drain intervals, as you’ve described it, in large fleets. They’ve been holding up well in those long drains. Remember, this is a small company, so the website, advertising, etc. aren’t what you would get from a big company.

If you want details, or want to discuss your specific needs and concerns, they will do that, and you’ll get a reply from a very, very knowledgeable person, often the owner himself.

Contrast that with a big company, like the ones you find on the shelf at Walmart, where your questions get answers by a support representative, not the CEO, and they know far less than the folks with whom you’re speaking at HPL…it’s clear that HPL is simply different than any other manufacturer.

I’ve never seen a manufacturer take the time to talk with customers, open their doors to customers, even blend oils based on customer feedback. The “No VII” line, for example. Honestly, if you want to discuss your application, reach out. @High Performance Lubricants has been very helpful in helping me select oil for my cars.

I just ordered another case of their 0W30 as I induct another Volvo into the fleet.

Their oils are used for long drain intervals, as you’ve described it, in large fleets. They’ve been holding up well in those long drains. Remember, this is a small company, so the website, advertising, etc. aren’t what you would get from a big company.

If you want details, or want to discuss your specific needs and concerns, they will do that, and you’ll get a reply from a very, very knowledgeable person, often the owner himself.
That is why I posted this in the section I did.I hope they answer this directly.

That is why I posted this in the section I did.I hope they answer this directly.
The owner is a busy guy. He can’t read every post. Doesn’t have the time.

If you want a question answered, publicly. then at least put his name in, as I did, so he’ll get a notification that he was mentioned.

If you have a question about the best choice for your application, do the same, or send a PM (conversation).

With its high quality base stocks and better ad pack why isn't it advertised as say a 20,000 mile OCI oil?
I don't see anything on their site claiming it. That is why I asked.
Their website mentions "extended" oci's but to many people that could mean anywhere from 5000-20000 miles.

One man's extended OCI is another man's short OCI. The duration of OCI is up to the individual, not the lube maker.

Some companies choose to limit the product OCI simply based on marketing garbage (for example Mobil 1 EP); that distance they advertise is just a guess on their part as there is implication of a legal warranty gamble they are willing to take. Others limit OCI at the OEM duration. Most all of them also induce a hard time limit (6 months; 1 year; etc).

HPL takes a different approach. They understand that each application is going to be unique. They won't blindly advertise that an oil is OK for 20k miles if it's not, because they care about their reputation and customers direct experiences. They understand that any lube used in any application may be good for 10k, or 15k, or 20k, or longer. If you want to know about HPLs products and capabilities, Dave gets involved personally and works with the client to determine the best course for YOUR application. Try getting that out of Mobil or some other brand.

Amsoil is indirectly quasi-involved; they will give some OCI limit in their advertising, but they do say you can go further with UOA testing, but only up to 1 year, and then it's OCI regardless. They won't work directly with you, but they do allow for some unique opportunites, but the onus is upon you to still make the right decision. They do offer a written warranty which specifies their limits.

Obviously, they did. But you can always reach out to them directly. They have an excellent reputation for communicating with individuals.

The bottom line is that extending OCIs past the OEM limit should never be a guessing game. You should take into account:
- the equipment history in terms of general reliability
- the unique operational parameters
- the unique maintenance plan
- UOAs
- the lube capabilities
- the associated costs of the above relative to ROI
All these together will let you know if an "extending" an OCI is a smart or foolish decision.

Last edited:
I meant the Volvos!
Ah, my mistake. Sorry...so...

Five seems perfectly reasonable to me. :cool:

One for each kid, one for my wife, and one for me. My youngest just graduated from college last year - and will be going to grad/med school next year, and she will need a car, so, time for another Volvo! It's not like these things are new. I've just got a collection of P2 chassis cars that are in good shape cosmetically, and excellent shape mechanically. Still have zero car payments, and I like it that way.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry...so...

Five seems perfectly reasonable to me. :cool:

One for each kid, one for my wife, and one for me. My youngest just graduated from college last year - and will be going to grad/med school next year, and she will need a car, so, time for another Volvo! It's not like these things are new. I've just got a collection of P2 chassis cars that are in good shape cosmetically, and excellent shape mechanically. Still have zero car payments, and I like it that way.
Seems like they should put the family in a commercial....😁

With its high quality base stocks and better ad pack why isn't it advertised as say a 20,000 mile OCI oil?
I think the @High Performance Lubricants "could" very well be a 20k mile oil. Look I used Redline HP oil and got over 10k on it and it wasn't meant as a duration oil but a performance oil. That's quite a bit with less than a 5 qt capacity. The seller can't know what's the condition of the vehicle it's going in, the way it will be driven, or the schmuck behind the steering wheel. This is very much similar to Amsoil SS. It's used for truckers and salesmen that hit the highway and use cruise control and run low stress miles to make the longer oci. I will say that Amsoil,Redline, High performance lubricants and a few others can surely go the distance that any basic synthetic can, they just have a different niche as to how they attain it.
Remember, this is Bitog. A lot of us can't stand to go that long without changing it, others don't drive far enough to get a vehicle up to temperature and another group won't pay more than clearance for oil regardless of the fact they dropped MSRP on a vehicle to begin with.
The only benefit from changing oil more often is getting under the bonnet and checking to make sure there aren't leaks and to check bushings,etc.

Back