Why is warming up your car bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait.. i take back the idling part because if i now understand that the manual is trying to say that if you start the car, you should run the engine or drive for about 2-3 minutes before turning it off. At first, i thought it meant that after driving, you should idle the engine for about 2-3 min. and then turn it off. Oh well, i turn it off relatively quick anyways.

Also, after refueling, it is best to start the engine and drive off right away in my opinion. People should drive their car for about 5-10 minutes after refueling. I've heard this is an ideal method.

quote:

I have an '06 Monte Carlo SS with a remote start... and that runs it at 10-minute intervals.

Normally, one remote-start-interval is enough - which runs the car and runs the heat for 10 minutes before shutting off...

Any real harm in that??

Thanks!!

i agree with V1. if you get out and drive it for 15 miles or so then there should be no issue with oil contamination because it should get burned off. in the winter i start my car and let it run for 10 min or so but then i drive for 50 miles. i see no harm in that.

i also agree with the wasted fuel thing, more fuel gets wasted from agressive driving and people using vehicles that burn up more gas than necessary than those that warm their cars up in the morning.

An engine without load doesn't warm up very quickly. In the extreme cold, letting an engine idle for 10 minutes is even more damaging than starting it, waiting a few seconds, and then placing a moderate amount of load on it. A moderate amount of load, not racing, not aggressive driving.

Ever see the kind of soot diesels put out after they've been idled for an hour or two (when their owners are having lunch at the truckstop)? Do you really want that kind of stuff in your engine (where it can get into the oil), or would you prefer that it is emmitted to the environment?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:

So do all those cop car motors must have a real short life span from all the idling they do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually they pretty much are.
I work for fleet procurement. The engines are toast after 24 months. They spend more time idling than driving.

Sir, I've driven fleet vehicles all my life (taxi,police, govt. service etc.). While all makes and models are different average life span of the vehicles has always been 7 yrs/ 500k miles. I've stretched this even longer mileage and age wise, but two years just sounds incredible. It can't be the idle time, cause all of these vehicles have experienced mostly idle time. In fact, it's one of the reason fleet engines last longer, the motor is constantly warm; there is very little start up wear and tear associated with them.

Some of the more rural areas around me employ even older service vehicles. Pre-92 Crown Vics are the norm and Late eighties Caprices and Gran Furys still make the occasional appearance (you wanna talk extended idle time?!)

I feel your duty vehicles exessively short life span is more to do with the maintenance and care bestowed upon them, not "idle time". Or perhaps you have a larger budget than average. I've seen this happen before when a PD is pretty fortunate in the bank dept, you lose two alternators in two years and the car is "worn out." Pretty much any excuse to retire that car and get a new one is used. Either way, somethings not right here but don't blame idling.

I believe I read an article that idling at start-up and when the engine was was warmed up was two different results.

Once the engine is warmed up, idling is not as severe in the combution engine.

A hot oil is always better than cold oil for an engine. A cooler running engine at operating temp is always better than an over heated engine.

I've hit 4100 miles into this OCI and have attained a strong urge to change the oil far before March 1st like I want to. I need help...
wink.gif

If it does get changed out before winter is through 'round here, I'll still do a UOA as there have been many cold-idling warmups.

I always warm up my vehicle I will not put my 2 year old child into a 20 degree vehicle. When it comes to this I do not care. Even in the summer I start it and cool it off for her. I know summer is not as bad on a vehicle though. Lots of people warm their vehicles and drive them forever. Im pushing 240k on mine. It's whatever you want to do.

I would be more concerned with your 2 year old inhaling CO and other noxious fumes from an open-loop engine than putting them in a cold car. Bundle the kid up and don't excessively run the engine...

Sigh. Grandma always said kids were spoiled. Heck we didn't even have AC in the car growing up and didn't have it in the house until age 16.

quote:

I would be more concerned with your 2 year old inhaling CO and other noxious fumes from an open-loop engine than putting them in a cold car.

What makes you think my vehicle fills up with exhaust gasses? Maybe if I had a bad leak.
If I want to fill it up with gas and idle it all day I will do so It's my dollar.

There is always a possibility of exhaust gas contamination in a standing vehicle with an idling engine.
Your catalytic converter will take much longer to fully warm up thus allowing the raw exhaust gases into the atmosphere and ultimately in your car's cabin.

quote:

I was told by a mechanic that warming up your car with it in Drive would extend the life of an automatic transmission.

That could actually be true.
The additional friction will allow faster fluid warm up.

quote:
I was told by a mechanic that warming up your car with it in Drive would extend the life of an automatic transmission.

As in driving it down the road???

I think there is a lack of understanding.

A heat-soaked, up to temp engine can idle and in all but the coldest temperatures, it will keep its temperature up.

Soot loading in a diesel truck, which is up to temperature, is no big deal. Idling of police cars and taxis for hours at a time (I doubt most taxis idle in place for that long) isnt a big deal.

it is when the engine and oil temperature is low that idling is harmful. Combustion is not as thurough, the oil's viscosity is not optimal for the tolerances (though multi-visc oils do help be more 'optimal'), and the oil's additive package is not activated per se. Combine a few or all of these factors, and youve got a bad situation. Most folks dont keep their cars much past 80k miles for it to manifest itself.

Engines can take a lot of abuse and keep working. The issue really is what is best for the engine. What can be done, regardless of wear, pollution, waste, stupidity, etc., regardless of whether its idling, jackrabbit starts, etc. is a different issue.

Idling a cold-soaked engine as a means of heating it up is a high-wear, far less than optimal method of warming up the engine - for all the reasons mentioned in all of the posts prior. YMMV depending on a huge number of factors.

JMH

"If I want to fill it up with gas and idle it all day I will do so It's my dollar."

That's fine. Just understand you are wasting that dollar and not doing your car, environment or child any favors.

People are free to smoke too doesn't mean it is a good idea.

quote:

Hey Merlin, I don't think they put the kid in the car while it's warming up. That kinda defeats the purpose, don't you think?

lol.gif

I dont see where a 5-7 minute warmup once or twice a week is hurting anything. When I'm by myself I just start and go.

Hey Zaedock, please point to the text where I said the kid was in the car while it was warming up. I never claimed that. My point was the exhaust goes someplace, in that the air around the car will be concentrated with fumes (if there is no wind) and some exhaust invariably finds its way inside the car. Sure probably nothing will happen, but with a 2 year old, why take any chance? Besides, we have already established it is a waste of fuel if nothing else.

Regarding 285, I can only be held responsible for my driving, not the driving of others. I should note every major American (and European) city I have visited sees the same type of speeds that are seen on 285--when it is not congested that is. Have you driven on 95 in your area lately?

Your premise seems to be "people in Atlanta speed so no one from there is qualified to give an opinion on the wastefullness of extended warm ups since speeding is wastefull too"

Pretty thin argument in my view.

Use block heaters, they shorten the warmup which means heat and defrost sooner.I leave mine plugged in while my car is warming up at the standstill
smile.gif
.When it gets brass monkey cold I stick foam pipe insulation in my grill opening and keep an eye on my water temp. gauge.Excessive unnessary idleing a car when warm is a **** waste of fuel.

Alright, so idling obviously takes some extra time, burns a little extra gas, and poisons babies. Most people here are capable of making those determinations on their own.

But does cold idling cause more engine wear than driving off? That's the kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back