RAM 1500 DT vs DS warm-up time... wow

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Dropped the SRT off yesterday to get the hail damage fixed (there are apparently 76-100 dents in the hood... :oops:) and Enterprise didn't have the rental I was supposed to get, so I'm temporarily in a brand new (2,500km on it) RAM 1500 classic with the 5.7L HEMI.

It is not overly well equipped, with no soft touch and cloth seats.

Options it does have:
- Power driver seat
- Power mirrors
- Power windows
- 4x4

Options it does not have:
- UConnect (tiny little basic screen instead)
- Auto dimming mirror
- Heated seats
- Heated wheel
- Climate Control

It clearly has different programming and gearing from my wife's Sport (3.92's w/limited slip) because it has a very soft roll-in on the throttle and feels slower than hers, though I'm sure if I kicked it in the butt, it would get up and go just fine.

What immediately stood out to me was how slow it was to get up to temperature. It's as bad or worse than my Jeep, which is pretty bad. I didn't have heat until I was 3/4 of the way to work, my wife's 1500 DT has heat instantly (it must have some sort of supplemental resistive heat going on, either that, or the grille shutters make an incredible difference) and gets fully up to temp by the time I'm halfway there.

Now, the DT is setting the bar pretty high, since it's the fastest heating up vehicle I've ever driven by a wide margin, but I was still surprised by how big the difference was between it and the previous generation, which they are of course still producing.

My 2016 has grille shudders and seems to heat up quick... Although I must admit I am in GA and it is in the garage, so I don't really get a true cold start to try it out on very often..

My 2016 has grille shudders and seems to heat up quick... Although I must admit I am in GA and it is in the garage, so I don't really get a true cold start to try it out on very often..
I will check to see if this has them, I didn't realize that some of the DS trucks got them.

That’s weird, even just idling after 3-5 minutes there’s enough heat to start defrosting a heavily frosted windshield on my 2019 Classic in 27F weather.

My 2019 Ram 1500 classic CC, hemi, 4x4 SLT (ex-rental) had cabin heat pretty quick as I recall.

I'm going to check to see if this has them, if it does, then the difference is something else with the DT.
Now when I say “heat” I mean it’s not even pee warm, but still significantly above ambient.
OK, I just checked, it DOES have the grille shutters, so clearly that's not the difference.

My wife's DT has like FULL heat very quickly, and it heats up insanely quickly on the gauge too, far quicker than this truck. I was able to get this truck up to full temp on my way home, about 3/4 of the way there, since it was already warm, as it only sat for about 4 hours. This is pretty much identical to my jeep.

OK, I just checked, it DOES have the grille shutters, so clearly that's not the difference.

My wife's DT has like FULL heat very quickly, and it heats up insanely quickly on the gauge too, far quicker than this truck. I was able to get this truck up to full temp on my way home, about 3/4 of the way there, since it was already warm, as it only sat for about 4 hours. This is pretty much identical to my jeep.
I’d have to double check, but I want to say it takes ~3 miles of 40-55mph sensible driving to get the coolant to ~180F if I get in and just go.

Takes a bit less if I don’t show any mechanical empathy and get on it 😅

For the speed difference, it probably has highway gears. Which low RPMs might make a slight difference in how fast it warms up in cool weather.

Alright so 36 hour cold soak because I believe working on Halloween is a crime….

About 3 minutes to get noticeable heat at all after pulling out of my driveway (~120F coolant) and gently accelerating to 40-45. About another 7 minutes for full heat… full heat being ~190F on the coolant.

Alright so 36 hour cold soak because I believe working on Halloween is a crime….

About 3 minutes to get noticeable heat at all after pulling out of my driveway (~120F coolant) and gently accelerating to 40-45. About another 7 minutes for full heat… full heat being ~190F on the coolant.
What was ambient? I was about 10 minutes this AM before I had decent heat coming from the vents (about 1/4 on the gauge), it was 1C.

What was ambient? I was about 10 minutes this AM before I had decent heat coming from the vents (about 1/4 on the gauge), it was 1C.
37 in freedom units, 2.8 in not freedom units.

It should be about 32F/0C when I leave tonight…(This morning? night shift life), I’ll time it properly and report back.

I should preface this with I have MDS disabled via range select.

Back