Why is the V-4 so underutilized in motorcycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody has ever complained about inline four being 'too wide' to ride
Because the I4 is inherently wider than a V4 Yamaha spared no expense
in an effort to make the I4 as narrow as possible Yamaha moved the
cam gear drive from the side of the wide block to up the back side of
the engine... still the advantage goes to the narrow as an arrow V4...
YamahaM1EngineEvolution.jpg

Because the I4 is inherently wider than a V4 Yamaha spared no expense
in an effort to make the I4 as narrow as possible Yamaha moved the
cam gear drive from the side of the wide block to up the back side of
the engine... still the advantage goes to the narrow as an arrow V4...
View attachment 106452
The problem with the width is that the greater width of the inline four isn't really a penalty.
Bikes are inherently un-aerodynamic. It's a non-starter in bike design.

How many I4 MotoGP bike's maximun lean angle are limited by the width of the engine?

Ans: Zero.

V4s and I4s are nice and both are winning races (I3s, I2, V2, boxer twins are all nice too) Enjoy them while you/we can because soon the only option will be electric.

look who is talking about being fanatical. the irony. most people here share their love of v4 motorcycle engines. i get it you d'ont like them. i also get it that your dad is stronger than mine.
I can see merit in all options, and have stated as much (if you go back and actually read my comments you'll see it). I love the Tuono V4, the MT-10, the S1000R, the Speed Triple, the Duke 890, all stellar bikes... I also fawned over the original Sabre V45 and Interceptor 750 when they were intro'd back in 82 and 83...

V4s and I4s are nice and both are winning races
Granted V4s and I4s are nice but they are not equal... V4 advantage...

Yamaha's long flexy crank limits RPMs and thus horsepower and Yamaha's racers always ask for more power...

Quote Mat Oxley MotoGp analysis V4 advantage...

"Yamaha won the 2021 MotoGP Riders Championship for
the brand's first time since Michelin tires and Dorna's same-for-all
Magneti- Marelli software arrived five years earlier and confused the
hell out of Yamaha engineers. Fabio Quartararo won the title like
Jorge Lorenzo won Yamaha's last title in 2015, by qualifying on the
front row at pretty much every race and escaping out front, using the
clear track to unleash the YZR-Ml's amazing corner speed. The problem
is that this is the only way the
M1 can win races, because it has the
slowest engine in MotoGP,
so if it gets caught up with a couple of
faster bikes it can't utilize its corner speed and the heat from the
other bikes raises its front tire temperature, which increases
pressure, which shrinks the contact patch and reduces grip. "·

"My only request to the engineers is to focus on top speed," says
Quartararo. "If I have the same bike plus some more horsepower I will
be happy."

"In fact the 22-year-old Frenchman needs a LOT more horsepower. At the
last race of 2021, at Valencia, (where the 0.9-kilometer straightaway
is preceded by a second-gear corner, making it a real test of
acceleration performance). the YZR-Ml reached 199.9 mph (321.7 kph),
while the best Ducati V4 did 208.4 mph (335.4 kph)!"

"The problem, of course, is that an Inline-4 engine like the YZR-Ml's
will never make as much power as a V4 engine as used by Ducati, Honda,
KTM, and Aprilia, because V 4s have shorter, stiffer crankshafts and
camshafts, so they can be tuned more aggressively."

CrankshaftsWeightV4vI4.jpg

How many I4 MotoGP bike's maximun lean angle are limited by the width of the engine?
Gp History shows us that certain design anomalies can cause engineers
to have a change of heart... case in point... Yamaha's first YZR500
two stroke was an I4 and it proved successful in the hands of Kenny
Roberts but Yamaha's next move was a YZR500 V4... ask the engineers
why the switch and they undoubtable cite some of the same
advantages as Honda Ducati Suzuki Aprilia have cited in racing 4
strokes... namely: lower friction... narrower engine width... lighter
crankshaft... and sturdy cube block engine cases...

1978 YZR500 OW35 Fat I4...
OW35..JPG

1983 YZR500 OW61 Skinny V4...
OW61.JPG

^^^ And I'm sure they both had a limited lean angle (just like any race bike) due to factors besides the width of the engine. That was the comment/question. Nobody designs a race bike to scrape the engine side cases before any other lean angle factors kick in. The tires should let go before any part of the blke scrapes the track.

not that much a fan of the look, but ducati worked hard to make a durable v4 engine. 15 000km oil change intervals and valve check at 60 000km. 170hp 1158cc v4 engine. 2022 ducati multistrada v4 s sport.
With a 17" front wheel, electronic Ohlins suspension, and single-sided swingarm to go with the 170-bhp V4 engine, I've been very happy with my '22 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak.

1656918889604.jpg

For a big bike, Ducati engineered it to be quite nimble at speed. Other than not the greatest in fuel economy, and EPA-inspired lean-ness in the fuel delivery between 3-4k rpm (which I'll fix with a ECU flash), riding it through its initial 500 miles has been a blast.

The inline 4s seem to make their owners happy.

Ride a Bandit 1250 and you'll also be blown away by the low-end power... and it's an I4. The torquey V4 thing is an urban legend promoted by many who should know better. FWIW, I fell in love with the Sabre and Interceptor 750s when they came out, and would love to get an Aprilia 1100...
How an engine breaths has much to do with how its power out put is.

Silly thread. Buy and ride the bike and engine combination that works for you.

Best? Whatever.

The reason I don't like V4 motorcycles is silly but I just don't like their sound. When you have a header on an in-line 4 (or a I-6 CBX) and turning 10,000 RPM it's life changing. I grew up with Kerker headers on Kawasaki I-4 engines and it set the stage.

I guess the same can be said for a Harley-Davidson - nothing else can match the sound.
You obviously never heard a Vmax with an after market exhaust. When revving to redline under WOT, the bike sounded like a top fuel funny car...absolutely THE best sounding bike ever...

I have a friend with one and would say they are similar, but never got to ride the two back to back.

Im super familiar with the gs1100 "family" in general and would say that I consider my 82 gs1100 my favorite all time best all round bike and during its heyday its speed was on par with the starship enterprise.

I ascribe HP and torque curves to bore stroke and tuning more so than layout.

The V65 was mid to back of this pack in that group with several punched out built gs1100's, 2-zx11's a Vmax, and and BMW 1100 twin. On this ride the group pretty much agreed that the v65 pulled hardest off the bottom half of the tach.

the shaft drive left everyone cautious about exploring the bikes limits as clearance would alter based on throttle on off.
I owned both an '83 V-65 Magna, and an '89 Vmax. Both pulled hard at low RPM's, but the Max definitely pulled harder...

V4s and I4s are nice and both are winning races (I3s, I2, V2, boxer twins are all nice too) Enjoy them while you/we can because soon the only option will be electric.
I don't believe any of us will see the demise of ICE powered motorcycles anytime during our lifetimes...

I don't believe any of us will see the demise of ICE powered motorcycles anytime during our lifetimes...
I hope you're right, though I suspect they are on their way out, unless we can somehow successfully substitute hydrogen for gasoline. Regarding your best sounding bike post, I agree a V-Max sounds good, so does a free breathing CBX (inline 6 of course) and Harley V-Rod (and I am most definitely not a Harley fan)

I like the sound of my Yamaha XSR900 with the cross plane crank 3-banger (crankshaft journals are offset by an evenly spaced 120 degrees) ... pretty unique engine sound.

Last edited:
You obviously never heard a Vmax with an after market exhaust. When revving to redline under WOT, the bike sounded like a top fuel funny car...absolutely THE best sounding bike ever...
Of course I've heard a V-Max with aftermarket exhaust. I stand by my statement that I don't like their sound. I don't like the sound of a parallel twin either. While I love a Porsche flat-6 I can't stand to hear a silly little Subaru flat-4 sputtering across the parking lot.

Here is just one of my collectibles. My pursuit of a museum quality H2 Mach IV Kawasaki is ongoing. Unfortunately I have no desire to add a V-Max, an Interceptor of any flavor or a Sabre/Magna to my collection. The CBX is iconic. The V-4's? Not so much.

The X file.JPG

Back in the Day I bought a brand new 1971 Mach III and sold it in 1976. I survived owning it when I was 18 years old !!! The Mach III Has a much more fun engine than the Mach 4 . I had some friends with the Mach 4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back