Why is everyone so down on Fram oil filters here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides so many defective ones I've cut open, they are overpriced.
The Fram on this page is $.50 more than the Donaldson for the "equivalent". I call that a rip-off.

Filters cut open

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
Yesterday I changed the oil on a friend's Civic. I got two filters at Carquest for $ 3 each. (I still have to change the oil on their Ranger.) Carquest brand filters are made by Wix, which has never shown quality control problems that I have seen, but anyone can have a bad one slip through.

+1

I use Carquest filters too, the CQ Blue and CQ Red filters are the same as Napa Gold and Napa Proselect. The CQ Red works great, and is an excellent filter for about $3.00. I have never had any problems at all with CQ or Napa filters. The CQ and Napa filters that I use on my truck are made here in the USA too, plus I would much rather support a local business like CQ or Napa.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Fram's quality control is also better than Purolator or Wix.

Do you have ANY research claims or links to back up such an outrageous statement or purely anecdotal evidence?
mad.gif

He had some bad Wix air/cabin filters.

The only filter I had to take off early was a Fram.

The ADBV was not doing its job.

But their QC is better than Purolator or Wix?
crackmeup2.gif

I can honestly say that i never had a problem with fram either maybe because i dont use them... I had a problem with the gold sandy fairy dust as someone else on here put it with another filter that i stopped using..

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: thehkp7m13
The armchair guy I am always valued a Motorcraft more then a Fram but the difference between a Delco and Fram is the not much to me at least. What is the purpose of the sky high OCIs on here if everyone is scoring the oil and filters on the cheap?

This 1 of several conventional oil UOA that shows 10k OCI and the oil still good and the metal is low.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906565#Post1906565

Eventhough I am reading it with my own eyes I wouldn't have the mental nerve to actually do that. Besides I spread out mileage over 3 or 4 cars so it would take years to hit that 10k mark.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I can honestly say that i never had a problem with fram either maybe because i dont use them... I had a problem with the gold sandy fairy dust as someone else on here put it with another filter that i stopped using..

What is this "gold sandy fairy dust" I have read about on here a few times already?

Depends on length of service. M1 would be a decent choice in the one year 15k range. EaO would be the choice beyond that and up to 25k.

Buy filters based on getting your money's worth out of them. A $6 filter should be giving you 2 X $3 filter worth of service.

Quote:
What is this "gold sandy fairy dust" I have read about on here a few times already?

It's over spray of the grippy textured paint. The occasionally have a run or two that has the stuff getting on the interior.

I used FRAM Oil Filters for about 20-25 years because they were always on sale with a rebate to boot to go along with all of the Havoline oil(on sale w/rebate) that I was buying. I can't say that I ever had any issues with FRAM and I really like their Air Filters. Then later on, they were becoming the most expencive filters on the store shelves. Afterward, I discovered BITOG along with other sites that hacked them apart and showed just how inferior FRAM was to the competition which cost less.

I'll use a FRAM now and again if it come with a 5qt oil/FRAM filter special at a good price. I just won't go out to buy them specificly any longer. Not at their regular price that for sure!

Frams work. Your car will not explode if you use them.

They make a good average filter.

Many people want better than good or average. Especially if the price is the same or less.

I've had issues with their oil filters the ADBV.

In any case the place where the fail the most is value for the money, there isn't any.

I can buy very high quality Mahle filters for the same price as the Fram for my car! No contest.

Fram sells to the lowest common denominator. Sure their extra guard is a very good filter but you pay through the nose to buy it.

In Fram's mind an uneducated consumer is their best friend.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Overpriced, inferior construction with everything except the Xtended Guard, many other better choices.
+1 As said above, construction to the least common denominator at an inflated price. I try to get fiber in my diet, no so much in my oil filter endcaps.

Lot's of better choices out there for the same or less money. But I'll stick with the value and improved efficiency of a Purolator P1 and/or Classic.

Before I joined Bitog and learned better I used them. I'd get them for around $2 each or less IIRC. Anyway no problems with them, but as others have said there are better filters for less money. Now I use Pure One, Mobil 1, or Bosch Premium Plus as part of oil the change specials stores offer, or smoking deals on Amazon.com

the "white" filter from Subaru is identical to Fram except for the pressure relieve valve..in the car for 4 months and after cutting open the filter and seeing how easily the end caps would peel apart made me real nervous to use subarus(fram)products again..also the filter media was slightly twisted and kinked..perhaps one of the reasons that subaru wants 6 month OCI's..makes me really wonder if these filters soaking in oil would last for 1yr or more for extended service..in contrast, during that same time, my daughters lincoln needed an oil change with more kilo/miles on the filter then my subaru..that Ford filter "visually" was the way to go for the future..same price if not cheaper then the Fram at WMart

I go to alot of car shows during the summer and I often see the old muscle cars using FRAM oil filters. These cars have engines powerful enough to light a small town and blow apart a cheap oil filter. They don't seem to be having any trouble...60's & 70's Nova's, 442's, Chevelle's, Mustang's, Torino's/CobraJets, 340/360 & Hemi's and the like. You know! The other oil filter choice seems to be WIX.

I've seen the pictures of FRAM's cut open and I have cut open a few myself especially after discovering BITOG and I have stayed away from them unless they came with an oil/filter special. As I mentioned priviously, I won't pay full price for them. Another thing, I also know quite a few guys with FORD PSD using FRAM oil filters. No problems. Hmmm, maybe the FRAM's aren't so bad after all! I still won't pay full price for them.

Well, at least one long time respected poster here has said several times that most/many racing filters are virtual sieves. Could well explain the use of the orange can. Also, I would expect that their racing use is part of Fram's extensive promotion and advertising program.

Not something that interests me for my passenger car applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back