why I'll probably use synth after warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably use synthetic oils even if I don't use extended OCIs after the warranty period is over.

The reason is my dealerships charge $90 - $100 for oil change, tire rotation and inspection.

I do all this myself. Compared to $90, I can use a top-grade oil and filter yet still save $60. Its true I could save another $10 with conventional, but I blow through $10 weekly just going out to lunch. So the cost differential isn't that much when I find synthetics on sale (which is the only time I buy them).

So, while some consider it a mortal sin to use an oil less than its full capability (ie 10-15k miles), I look at it as cheap insurance to buy the "good stuff".

Once I get tired of crawling under the car I may extend the OCIs. Since I enjoy maintaining my cars, that may not happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mozart
I'll probably use synthetic oils even if I don't use extended OCIs after the warranty period is over.

The reason is my dealerships charge $90 - $100 for oil change, tire rotation and inspection.

I do all this myself. Compared to $90, I can top-grade oil and filter and still save $60. Its true I could save another $10 with conventional, but I blow through $10 weekly just going out to lunch. So the cost differential isn't that much when I find synthetics on sale (which is the only time I buy them).

So, while some consider it a mortal sin to use an oil less than its full capability (ie 10-15k miles), I look at it as cheap insurance to buy the "good stuff".

Once I get tired of crawling under the car I may extend the OCIs. Since I enjoy maintaining my cars, that may not happen.

Go for it! I've never regreted goin the synthetic oil route
11.gif

save the $10 you blow in lunch money and put it in your retirement savings instead, and keep using dino...

Wow, $100 for an oil change. Why not go ahead and do it yourself now instead of waiting for the warranty to expire. Is dealer oil service a requirement of your warranty?

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Wow, $100 for an oil change. Why not go ahead and do it yourself now instead of waiting for the warranty to expire. Is dealer oil service a requirement of your warranty?

I actually do do it myself. I did it a couple of times at the dealership but was disgusted with the price, quality and how long it took. I don't go there unless I have to.

In fairness, these are 5K services. But that is basically an oil change, tire rotation, inspection and car wash. All of which I can do for less with better quality and less time/hassle.

I hear you mozart.

So many people get hung up on the price difference yet blow so much money on other ridiculous things every day.

Coffees, sodas, fast food, and so on.

Originally Posted By: mozart

I do all this myself. Compared to $90, I can use a top-grade oil and filter yet still save $60. Its true I could save another $10 with conventional, but I blow through $10 weekly just going out to lunch. So the cost differential isn't that much when I find synthetics on sale (which is the only time I buy them).

I've always felt the way you too, only I use synthetic oil after I logged about 2000 miles on a new vehicle. Dealership prices are a total rip off. When I do a repair I get an idea of what a shop would charge for the repair. Years ago I would take half the savings and buy tools I needed with the money I saved. Now I take the full amount of the savings and bank it, unless I need more tools. You'd be surprised how fast the money, or tool collection grows!

I do my own maintenance under warranty but I find tire rotations to be a royal pain in the butt. Best case scenario these days they get rotated when I swap the winters on and off. Honestly I've done this with my last 4 cars, all new, and all the OEM tires have made it to 50k without an issue. I use syn with my Honda since I follow the MM so we're talking 7500+ and I have no problems spending an extra 5-10 dollars on syn.

No advantage really for you to use synthetic for short OCI. No need for "cheap insurance" your car won't blow up, wear out, or melt down with dino. Take your savings and invest it instead of wasting it.

My dealership charges 65 for synthetic oil change, but if I buy the oil and filter myself on sale at autozone for 30 bucks and bring the stuff in to the dealer they only charge 14 bucks for labor and that is how I save a little money but still have the dealership do the work for me.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
My dealership charges 65 for synthetic oil change, but if I buy the oil and filter myself on sale at autozone for 30 bucks and bring the stuff in to the dealer they only charge 14 bucks for labor and that is how I save a little money but still have the dealership do the work for me.

Hopefully they put that synthetic in your car and not their own...

I do my own oil changes, but the 16.00 flat fee for a tire rotation at the dealership is a no brainer for me. They can do it easier, and faster than I can. I drink their coffee, talk to the service manager, and they see my face. I think it paid off when the LIM gaskets failed on the Montana years ago. "Well he brings his car here for service all the time..." Go on and switch to synthetic if it gives you a warm fuzzy. I'm on Schaeffer 7k in the new Equinox, and have Schaeffer 9k at the ready for next time.

Last edited:
You think they would do that? I could ask around and try to find a dealer that would let me watch the work be done. Until the warranty period expires I was wanting dealer receiepts for all maint and repairs.

unless you live in below 0*f there isn't really any advantage to syn oil . You are wasting your money on syn oil. Todays conventional oils are all that is needed unless the MFG recommends syn oils. There is such a lack of understanding on the subject of oils.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Scotty1981

Hopefully they put that synthetic in your car and not their own...

+1 Unless you stand there and watch it get poured into the engine odds are bulk dino is going in. At least that was what most of the techs did in places I worked at when I sold cars.

Ok, ok, conventional oil it is, but what about the post that dealers will not put in the right kind of oil? Should I demand to watch the oil change be done or should I not bother with the dealership changes even though I am in the warranty period for the next 80k miles or so?

Since the car is certified preowned they gave me a card entitling me to conventional oil changes at a rate of 18.95 instead of their regular rate of 29.95. That is for the life of the car unless it changes owners.

Edit: I believe the Honda dealer stated they use Mobil oil.

Last edited:
So does this mean I'm lucky if the dealership really uses Mobil oil or will they put some other oil in the car? How can I find out if this other oil meets the requirements for oil set forth in the owners manual?

Unless I saw dealer tec open a fresh jug of M1 and pur it in the car, I would not trust a word the dealer says. They know that they can put whatever they want and there is no way to check oil brand once it's in the engine, especially if they use oil dispensing guns.

If you want to run synth, change the oil yourself or find a trusted mechanic to do it for you, this way you will start building a good business relationship with him, so he will more likely be honest with you when it comes to bigger repairs to keep your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back