why I'll probably use synth after warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really need to run synth according to most on here so I will probably just stick with conventional, the cars OLM seems to want me to change my oil about every 6k to 7k based on my driving habits so I should be ok with dino.

I just don't know about trusting the dealer to use decent oil vs having the work done elsewhere while still in the warranty period.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
unless you live in below 0*f there isn't really any advantage to syn oil . You are wasting your money on syn oil. Todays conventional oils are all that is needed unless the MFG recommends syn oils. There is such a lack of understanding on the subject of oils.

Yep, there is a lack of understanding. That is why GM requires
synthetic in some engines. That is why most European manufacturers factory fill and recommend synthetics in their cars- Mercedes, Saab, Volvo. Obviously, all those folks just don't understand!!!

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
Originally Posted By: Steve S
unless you live in below 0*f there isn't really any advantage to syn oil . You are wasting your money on syn oil. Todays conventional oils are all that is needed unless the MFG recommends syn oils. There is such a lack of understanding on the subject of oils.

Yep, there is a lack of understanding. That is why GM requires
synthetic in some engines. That is why most European manufacturers factory fill and recommend synthetics in their cars- Mercedes, Saab, Volvo. Obviously, all those folks just don't understand!!!

I agree with Steve. Unless manufactures recommend syn oil for whatever reason (long OCI up to 15-20k miles or the engines are turbo or super charged) dino is all you need for recommended OCI in the manual. If dino is recommended and you like to run syn then it is a waste to run syn with the same OCI as with dino, unless your temp can be as low as -30 F or lower in winter.

Will the bulk dino the dealership uses be ok or should I do the changes myself?

I was hoping to let the dealership change it until 100,000 miles when the warranty expires.

Dino should be good out to 7500 miles right?

I believe that is probably the max the OLM would go out to, as stated before my driving would probably require a change much sooner around 6k, I am pretty sure about this since I have driven the OLM down to 50% and it has been about 2500 to 3000 miles.

Sorry to be such a bother with this subject, I just want to make this car last as long as possible.

Mozart, in the end it's up to you - and you only. If running synthetic makes you feel better and you don't mind spending a few extra dollars, then so be it. Absolutely nothing wrong with Synthetics and if you change them a little sooner - then that's your choice.

It's proven that many vehicles run 300,000 miles on dino oil only, but some don't. I do agree with extending the OCI when running Synthetics, but that is not an absolute.

Hey, I have no room to talk. I run Rotella T6 in a 2009 49cc Honda Scooter - talk about overkill!

It's all personal choice and preference. Do what you feel is right.

Rob

P.S. - I recommend Rotella T6, but that's just me. Use whatever brand/grade is needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scooter_man
Hey, I have no room to talk. I run Rotella T6 in a 2009 49cc Honda Scooter - talk about overkill!

It's all personal choice and preference. Do what you feel is right.

Rob

P.S. - I recommend Rotella T6, but that's just me. Use whatever brand/grade is needed.

Overkill is running synthetics in everything that has metal to metal contact. My lawnmower and air compressor are using it.

I started using M1(before that Amsoil) in 1978 doing 10K OCIs. Twice the OCI for most engines.
Cleaner engines.
Easier starts in winter.
Never had an engine even come close to failing.
Better protection in hot weather.

Also with the EP oil I now use I'm sure 12-14K OCI would easily be doable.

Like OverK1ll I to use synt in everything.
Good stuff.

Last edited:
mozart,

I've already stopped crawling under my car to do simple things like what you mentioned.

I'll always use a synthetic oil for my truck/car just to keep the insides clean due to the fact that we don't drive our auto like we use to twenty years back when gas was poretty cheap. During the summer months when gas is expected to head higher than four buck this time the car will just sit more in the garage than having a good time driving.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back