Why i will never recommend Hyundai

Goodness folks. Jobs pay huge ranges depending on where you are. I'm from a small town where an HVAC guy makes probably $60k per year and lives well. I now live in metro Atlanta where they make 6 digits and live about the same.

Goodness folks. Jobs pay huge ranges depending on where you are. I'm from a small town where an HVAC guy makes probably $60k per year and lives well. I now live in metro Atlanta where they make 6 digits and live about the same.

Yea but are they using Supertech or Mobil1 to get from worksite to worksite? WE MUST KNOW!

Onto OP's issue; dealership is right about what they said with a failed compressor sending shards throughout the AC system. However, why do you think taking off the valve cover could have messed up the AC compressor?

Last edited:
Unfortunately this has nothing to do with a particular brand, but the dealership itself. This is the problem with these franchises, there is zero consistency on the level of service you receive. I've had bad experiences with almost every brand's dealerships, and not just cars, power equipment and farm equipment as well. Some people just couldn't care less about the customer, and in modern society you have to be an advocate for yourself. While they do represent the brand, the brand has numerous dealers across the country, and many of these dealers sell several brands of vehicles. Dealers usually think of themselves more as "stores" that carry products, like a phone store.

like a phone store.
That is the best analogy I've ever read for a stealership. New vehicles these days are like phones that are sold in depressed, low population areas like where I grew up. People couldn't afford a washing machine or a replacement for that cracked windshield, but they had a big sound system in their old worn out vehicle and the latest cellphone. Ironically nowadays, that same mentality can be found across the income range. It's like watching an advanced alien life form feed on the lesser animal.

However, why do you think taking off the valve cover could have messed up the AC compressor?
Nobody said taking off the vc messed up the compressor. They replaced the compressor only, then blamed the no ac issue on the leak from the inside.

Why I think that they messed that up??? When taking the vc off for the oil consumption test, the tech had the vc loaded with coil packs and his tools resting on the lines. Furthermore, when he assembled it, he created a vacuum leak so bad, she couldn't make it home.

Reactions: Pew
Lol…what? My brother is in HVAC and I have a few friends in HVAC and $50-70k is more like it for an HVAC tech annual salary depending on if they actually suck at their job and instead of trying to fix things just sell new systems. Also, on-call sucks and so do 140F attics in the middle of an heatwave and so do dirty dingy crawl spaces and so do rooftops at -15F in the middle of winter. The working environment and hours of an auto tech is positively civilized compared to that of an HVAC tech. Oh, a lot of HVAC techs have to buy their own tools as well.
Lol 😂 I was watching hvac YouTubes 2020-21 so a lot seemed off on the post you responded to. Salary high, and equipment low. $12k for a system? What, half ton 😂

Actually one of the guys I watched on YouTube was in fact db in MA. I lost respect when he switched out a ECM motor and put in a PCM saying owner doesn’t know any different. Why do people always have to do stuff like that.

Just go to any website and piece together a condenser and furnace to get the list price. For a normal house that oh has a 4 ton with a 96% furnace. $12k?!

At any rate not an easy job especially when many calls are when it’s hot and equipment has failed. My .02

My hyundai dealer in San Antonio is very similar. Do not like them at all. And they now started selling Genesis and call themselves a Genesis dealer. I'm not going to spend 70k on a Genesis and be treated to a subpar waiting room and poor Hyundai service experience.

Another Day on BITOG another Hyundai bash thread.....
Honestly generally speaking most things HyunKia designs/builds suck a$$. 1st true impression I got of one was about 9 yrs ago when the wife's co-worker got a brand new Sonata. Thing was barely broken in and had the worst start up/idle noise of any vehicle I've been around. Yes I could hear great back then and no way I'd tolerate something sounding like that barely off the lot brand new. You'd expect it to be 20 yrs old with 200K+ on it based on sound alone.

FWIW I will also bash EVs a bit as earlier I saw a fairly new Tesla Model S and it's local after having seen it several times. The personalized NC state tag reads PUR AMPS... funny thing is it was being hauled on the flatbed of a diesel tow truck that is local as well. Guess the electrified turd might have ran out of amps, bwahahaha!!!

Honestly generally speaking most things HyunKia designs/builds suck a$$. 1st true impression I got of one was about 9 yrs ago when the wife's co-worker got a brand new Sonata. Thing was barely broken in and had the worst start up/idle noise of any vehicle I've been around. Yes I could hear great back then and no way I'd tolerate something sounding like that barely off the lot brand new. You'd expect it to be 20 yrs old with 200K+ on it based on sound alone.
8Ntrzy.gif

"Simply not possible! Hyundai/Kia makes cars as quiet as any luxury marque. Quieter, even! Noise you hear must be some diesel truck driving by or idling close by. Something from our competitors no doubt!"

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with a particular brand, but the dealership itself. This is the problem with these franchises, there is zero consistency on the level of service you receive. I've had bad experiences with almost every brand's dealerships, and not just cars, power equipment and farm equipment as well. Some people just couldn't care less about the customer, and in modern society you have to be an advocate for yourself. While they do represent the brand, the brand has numerous dealers across the country, and many of these dealers sell several brands of vehicles. Dealers usually think of themselves more as "stores" that carry products, like a phone store.
Exactly, I remember back in the day, maybe like 1986 or so my engine would go up to like 3000 rpm's and then shift, now this was an automatic transmission. So for like a week I would manually shift the automatic transmission, so I bring it to the dealer and a mechanic crawls under my car and says I need a new transmission for like $1300.00

I then go to a place that is not a dealership where I was on friendly terms with this mechanic, he crawls underneath and it turns out that there was some plug that was supposed to be connected to my transmission that controlled the shifts, it had popped out.

Always get a 2nd opinion!

Yea but are they using Supertech or Mobil1 to get from worksite to worksite? WE MUST KNOW!

Onto OP's issue; dealership is right about what they said with a failed compressor sending shards throughout the AC system. However, why do you think taking off the valve cover could have messed up the AC compressor?
Nope, using VWB bulk from the VIOC in the service van (should change it myself, but then it would blow up!). In other news, I am a long time refrigeration tech, specializing in restaurant equipment, for over 25 years-and I've never sniffed 100K, not even with mega overtime! At this point, I wouldn't even believe OP's compressor was bad-it was likely just leaking all along. My issues with Ford dealer/warranty service are legendary, and I even have a decent, honest Hyundai dealer here that my indy SWEARS by, Columbia Hyundai-but I can't bring myself to buy their underengineered junk!

Just put a new clutch in my '08 Accent with 188K miles. The actual clutch disc was half worn but the grease the throw-out bearing rides on was too far gone and sticky causing it to bind when hot.

Deserved or not, the Korean make lovers want nothing but posts that praise their beloved brands...if anything negative is said about them, it's unjustifiable bashing...don't you know, Hyundais are the best vehicles made?
Every single brand has its fair share of problems, and they all suck when they are broken. The issue here is with the dealership, and how the broken vehicle is handled. My family has owned several Hondas, and have had good luck with their cars, but will never set foot in another Honda dealership ever again. Any Hondas they own are serviced independently or by me.

Every single brand has its fair share of problems, and they all suck when they are broken. The issue here is with the dealership, and how the broken vehicle is handled. My family has owned several Hondas, and have had good luck with their cars, but will never set foot in another Honda dealership ever again. Any Hondas they own are serviced independently or by me.
I never use the dealerships for service, unless it's something that's covered under warranty. I realize this particular thread was about an issue with the dealership, my reply was more about the complaints I've seen in here about the Korean makes in general. Whenever anything negative is posted in here about them, the bash police come crawling out of the woodwork to defend them. Like you said, all makes have their problems, I don't know why so many people are so quick to defend them...

"You realize this is a dealer issue and you post serves no other purpose than a "vent"."

It's a dealership and brand issue.

I go back to the OP, and ask this question. 2016 model year car is 7 years old. You have no hyundai warranty, why would you take it there?

My Tuscon only goes to the dealer for recall work, and it has had 4-5 recalls already. Other than that you need an independent mechanic to fix the car. The hyundai dealer network at least in South Texas is slimy. I do not like dealing with them at all. They are so overwhelmed with recall work, good luck getting an appointment with them shorter than 4 weeks out.

These GDI motors are so bad with carbon coking the valves that a regular service with BG intake spray is needed to keep them from gumming up. There is a reason why the OEMs are going to GDI/MPI injection and 8 fuel injectors on a 4 cylinder engine, to keep the motor from carboning up.

I've owned a bunch of Hyundais, they are cheap cars with a long OEM warranty, so people use them as appliances just to get to the manufacturer warranty, then get rid of them. I check the oil on them once a week, and every hyundai I have owned has used a little oil. Honestly they aren't a car you give to your wife and never check the oil, the motor will blow up.

I am running full syn 10w30 in mine for Texas climate, and changing at 3750 miles. It burns the 5w20 up like nothing.

Like my godfather always told me who was a master mechanic for 40 years, get a Toyota you will have to raise the hood a lot less on it.

Back