Why I Hate Dealer Changes, How About You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never had a problem at my BMW dealer or my Mazda dealer(when I had my MS3). High quality work and fair prices. I still DIY some things, but I'm not at all hesitant about using a dealer that I trust.

My wife's Scion came with 5 free changes (at any Toyota dealer). I used them with no concerns.
Drove up, guy walks to my car, tell him I am here for my free oil change, he gets my name and car info, I sign his tablet, I get out of the car and walk inside. Look at the new cars inside. Look at their parts counter (man Toyota sells a lot of knick-knacks), watch a little TV (Usually Maury was on when I was there, YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER!). 20-30 minutes later, the call my name, I sign for the car and they bring it out for me. In the 5 changes I had done there, no hand prints anywhere, floor liners were used, oil was full and filter changed with no leaks. No up-sale attempted. Only thing I did not like is they did not vacuum it or run it through their automatic car wash for free, that was apparently only for paying customers.

When I bought my Elantra in 2004, they were going to give me 4 free oil changes, I asked for 4 filters instead. Sales guy looked at me awkward and said hold on a second. Walked out then came back with 5 OEM Hyundai filters.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Been changing my own for 55 years. Will continue down that same road.

I hear ya. I think the last time someone changed my oil was in the early 1980's when I had an oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. I will continue to change my oil as long as I possibly can. Time wasted waiting, bulk oil, risk of them messing something up, it just doesn't pay.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Even a poorly build engine will last 1 year...pretty [censored] warranty. How far you going to drive it in that time anyway? Change it yourself and skip the frustration would be my advice.

I don't know if we'll get through the whole thing or not. Overall the motor seems great. It's quieter than the other one ever was.

If anything I'm hoping the quick dino changes will clean any garbage out of the engine. The engine had to have less than 30,000 on it to be used as a replacement for this claim. The extended warranty was one of the weird aftermarket ones, done before I had a ton of say in what we bought. Out of pocket however we paid ~115 dollars. The bill itself before that was about 5500.

We are expecting to hit the mile marker for it right before the year. She does some serious mileage.

Last edited:
I bought a newish used Toyota from the local Toyota dealer. It was a local lease vehicle had only ever been serviced at this dealer. I have the documentation. I also got a couple of free oil changes when I bought the car. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when I changed the oil myself for the first time:

1) The plastic cover/panel that is supposed to cover where the oil filter housing is was completely gone. The dealer must've not reinstalled it at some point.
2) Everything was tightened down RIDICULOUSLY tight. I actually had to use a breaker bar to get the oil filter housing off. It eventually came off but it slightly torqued the tool that I'd ordered online to remove the filter. The drain plug was insanely tight too. Thank goodness nothing was damaged. It all went back together fine.

So...I'm glad I'm doing it myself now. Those 2 dealer changes reminded me why I haven't let anyone change the oil in my other cards since about 2002. :-/

Oddly enough I have actually had fair work done at the two dealerships I have ever really dealt with. Both a Chevy and a GMC dealer (completely different dealerships.) I have gone in for warranty work as well as the oil changes under warranty. Every time I felt the prices were fair(ish) and they have listened to my requests like no car wash (scratch magnets) etc. Granted I have heard horror stories but I have always come in with a no [censored] attitude and I felt I was treated fairly/respectfully. I am actually going to go in the next few days. Maybe this post will change drastically haha

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I don't feel that way at all. I think that the Ford Quicklane service is good enough that it's a selling point for Ford.

I drove the oil to 8,300 miles when the oil life monitor went off and UOAd. Everything was fine and I could have taken it to 10,000 miles if I wanted to. Motorcraft oil is first class, and I get to see the work being done.

I never get the hard sell, and the people in front of me are often driving remarkably well-preserved Fords and older Japanese cars whose owners know a bargain when they see it. (Motorcraft oil is close to Honda factory spec).

+1 to everything you mentioned. I take the Matrix there for oil changes. I get the same person doing the work since I pull up in front of his door. One time he cleaned up some grime in the engine bay around the ps reservoir. They match other dealer coupons. Last time I went they used 0w20 syn-blend for the same price. They had to go in back and find it. $25 is their normal price without rotation and they match the $22 coupon price from the Toyota dealer. The toyo dealer keeps pestering me about a new serpentine belt, cabin filter etc. I had them install new tires on the Camry at the Quick Lane. The Camry takes a cartridge filter and there's now a MC filter that will fit it.

When pontiac went the way of the dodo bird gm sent me 4 free oil changes and tire rotates. The rub you had to use all 4 with in one year.
The thought was to transition pontiac customers to their other brands buick, chevy, gmc, cadillac. I usually change oil about every 4-7months and 2800-3500 miles. But I kept up with having it changed every 3 months no matter what. Let me tell ya after the last oil change the oil was super clean. They were even nice enough to switch my summer/winter tires over since both sets are mounted using that service as my "rotate".
Didnt really have a problem with them other than on the last one i insisted the wife have them change the drain plug gasket
She called me and said they wanted $7 for the gasket i told her decline it and "i" will change it next time. I have since bought 10 gaskets for 5.55 off ebay.
My last oil chAnge i did on the car was about 10 bucks. Quaker state ultra durBility 4 qts 2$/qt 8$. oil filter 1.5 walmart closeout purolator. Drain plug gasket 0.55.

So the dealer wants $7 for a drainplug gasket. But i can change it for $10.55 with synthetic.
And i have changed it for less using conventional oil. (Nexgen valvoline practically paid me to change it)

Bottom line
Take what you can get for free, keep a spare drain plug gasket in your glove box. When the time it miles have expired on the engine warranty. Go back to doing it yourself.

Originally Posted By: mcgophers
I've gone to a dealer quick lube for maintenance and besides that they always put 5W-20 in the Elantra in my signature, which allows for it in cold weather but recommends a xW-30 or 10W-40. I never had an issue with the engine doing that though.

The Sentra goes in for an oil change Thursday since it was included in the purchase. After that, I may have them touch it if I can bring in my own oil just for record-keeping.

My local (and only) Mitsubishi dealer used to have a free wash and wipe down of the engine cover. Last week it was basically rinsed down, and the cover was filthy. I had never seen that tech before, but he sure looked miserable...

I wouldn't know, never had them do it. No dealer can do a better job than I can and I have 100% knowledge of what was done and how my car was treated.

Gene K. is a perfect example.

What broke me was when I took my daily driver in for oil change, with meticulous maintenance, and no previous problems. When I picked up the car to leave, I noticed on the bill they'do put air in tires to 30psi. I laughed to myself, as I knew they had to remove air as I run 32-34psi and have pressure monitors that are very accurate. I KNOW this car. Well, I wasn't laughing anymore when I got in the car and the pressure monitor for one of the tires was alarming. I was only 3mi from home, so I mumbled some gripes and left. Went home aired up and heard, yes heard a leak. Inspection showed a huge gash on the inner sidewall of one rear tire. It took me a minute, then it came to me. The lube pit has a 3 inch steel rail around it and it was obvious they'd hit it and cut the tire. I called them and was told that everything is on video and they'd check the video and call me back. Within 5 minutes a guy in the shop called and said he was there when my car was serviced and the didn't do it. I knew they hadn't had time to look thru any video and told him so. In the end they denied and it cost me $150 for a new tire.
So no more I change my own oil.

You always get what you pay for.
You pay nothing and should expect the same in the service received.
Oil changes are typically done by the lot guys, not actual techs.
No appointments and maximum inconvenience for you?
No surprise.
Car left dirtier in and out than when you brought it to the shop?
For the money you're actually costing them, this is again unsurprising.
You give a good example of why I avoid having others service my vehicles.
It does pay to have a couple of honest and good if not cheap techs in your back pocket for those jobs that you just don't care to tackle or for diagnostic work that's simply beyond your ability.

Our Elantra came with "free" oil changes from the dealer. I actually did try to take it in for its first oil change since I was nearby the dealer and had some spare time, but they said it would be 2 hours before they could get to it. No thanks. Haven't been back since. When I have a stockpile of synthetic oil that cost me $2 a quart, I'll just do it myself in less time than it would take to drive to the dealer.

If I was really too lazy to do it myself, I have a friend that runs an indy shop and will accept the universal currency of beer.
beer3.gif

The place where I bought my vehicle offers free oil changes and I cashed in on 2 of them. Both times I took my vehicle in I had to wait over an hour for the job to be completed. I wasn't very impressed with the wait time.

At the next interval I started changing it myself (again). I checked the oil before changing it and noticed that it was over the fill mark a bit, and my vehicle was on (reasonably) level ground. I pulled the invoice out and noticed they overfilled it by 1 quart.

So the wait time and the overfilling just soured me on the whole experience. The only time of year that I don't change my own oil is winter. I take it to a guy down the road who has always done it right. My uncle has recently built a very nice shop that is heated, so when the temp drops I will take it over there.

Took mine to Hopkins Honda in MN when I live there in 2014 , tech did not put on my WIX filter I provided , instead put on a Honda filter. I also doubt he put in the GET syn gallon I gave him and overfilled it, oil went down fast to. I did not find out about the filter till 6 months later when a tech near me had a [censored] of a time pulling it off . He told me dealerships do this all the time. I then called and spoke to the service manager and gave her an earfull! She told me the tech was a good one! Ok , then why does he not work there anymore? They also tried to get me to buy a new oil pan for 750 bucks because the the drain hole was stripped.

Last edited:
Actually I have had all oil changes done at the dealer since we bought two 2008 RAV 4 V-6's new.
For Toyota warranty they required oil & filter every 6 months or 5K miles. In our case(s) both were every six months. They do use mats and only once was there grease on a seat which they took care of immediately. Waiting time is short and since we both bought extended warranty the six month oil change continued for three additional years.

I'm too old and too fat to crawl around under cars anymore nor do I have the desire to deal with it in South Texas heat ten months of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back