Why don't the BIG guys make the BEST oil ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But when they have the UOAs with DECADES of experience taking many motors hundreds of thousands of miles sure beats people posting koolaid left and right.

Stick around and LEARN something...

No doubt Bill.
BUT, you have to admit, the "science" of UOAs here is reasonably questioned?
We have no clue how some folks acquire their samples and other variables that matter...
Nobody would accept research done at home for medicines they take or food additives.
I think there are some here who no doubt have the means/knowledge etc. to post reliable data, but to say it's beyond questioning is not fair either...why the personal attacks? I'm here precisely TO LEARN. Learning means questioning in my world. And, look over my posts - all I'm doing is asking questions here.
I know my limited knowledge of oil, and I am here to learn from the experts.
Being defensive isn't needed.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
But when they have the UOAs with DECADES of experience taking many motors hundreds of thousands of miles sure beats people posting koolaid left and right.

Stick around and LEARN something...

I have learned something. You just read it.
wink.gif

I don't think the boutique companies necessarily make the "best" product. They make products that target specific, niche applications. But for the vast majority of cars on the road, the big companies do make the best oils.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
$20 UOAs not obtained under controlled conditions, interpreted anonymously by amateurs on an Internet message board, do not count as "factual data."

Go ahead and quote me where I said BITOG UOA's was "factual data" I was referring to. I'll give you a cookie...

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
why wouldn't the big guys make a hands-down, bestest oil ever?

They do. Mobil 1 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

They do. Mobil 1 0W-40.

I use that oil and am knowledgeable enough to know that's not the case
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout

They do. Mobil 1 0W-40.

lol.gif

The best oil ever by the BIG guys is German Castrol 0W-30, come on now
grin2.gif

They do. Mobil 1 0W-40.

lol.gif

Actually I recently met a petroleum engineer for Exxon Mobil. I asked him why they don't make an ultimate oil, one that is better than other manufacturers? He told me simply...they don't know how.

They do. Mobil 1 0W-40.

lol.gif

Actually I recently met a petroleum engineer for Exxon Mobil. I asked him why they don't make an ultimate oil, one that is better than other manufacturers? He told me simply...they don't know how.

Seriously? I think the real problem is making the "ultimate oil" that will make the bean counters happy.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Seriously? I think the real problem is making the "ultimate oil" that will make the bean counters happy.

No, I was just joking around Ben. I guess that did sound kind of real ha ha.

Since we have no way to prove that the big brands are inferior to the boutique oils. There aren't any controlled experiments with X vs Y proving such.
I put my money on Porsche and Ferrari to know what's best. I doubt the boutique oils would outperform the Mobil and Shell Helix Ultra forumulas that meet their specs. For all we know they aren't even as good.

I put my money on Porsche and Ferrari to know what's best.

I tend to think if Ferrari formulated and produced their oils in house they would end up with a product very similar to certain boutique brands.

For warranty purposes, I'm sure they want a regulated oil that is decently available.

Why would the best auto engine engineers in the world recomend an oil that was inferior. As far as I'm concerned they are recomending the best oil they have available at this time. Just because companies like XM and Shell are huge doesn't mean they make inferior products.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why would the best auto engine engineers in the world recomend an oil that was inferior. As far as I'm concerned they are recomending the best oil they have available at this time. Just because companies like XM and Shell are huge doesn't mean they make inferior products.

The fact that all of them aren't recommending the same oil with various viscosties, I don't follow your point.

The fact that all of them aren't recommending the same oil with various viscosties, I don't follow your point.

What now?
54.gif

Last edited:

Are you suggesting conflict of interest on my part?
grin2.gif

But seriously, it is a business, and I agree with you here. The ultimate product does not bring in the ultimate revenue, plain and simple. The money is where the market is at, and the status quo hasn't change much more than gradually over time, at best.

Last edited:

What now?
54.gif

Isn't it obvious? These OEM oil recommendations have as much or more to do with the nature of the contracts signed than the product.

You may be right,but have you been apart of the teams that negotiate these contracts? Doug tells us that XM and Shell and others work closely with engine builders. That's what I know about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back