Why don't the BIG guys make the BEST oil ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right on point.
The same is true for Scotch whiskey, PCs, disposable diapers, clothing or any other consumer durable or non-durable you'd care to name.
What is "best"?
If my Accord's engine will outlive the car on a steady diet of PP, why would I need anything more?
Only because I am seduced by the appeal of "the best", whether it will really benefit me or my engine in any way or not.
Finally, as someone posted above, best will depend upon application.
Not all engines are the same, nor are they all used in the same way.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
i dont know, but Redline oil looks like more of a bargain every day at $8.20 per quart delivered when you compare it to all the recent prices of group 3 products at the local autozone/advance/pepboys, have you checked out how much a quart of Ultra/GC/M1 ext performance oils are??? creeping up to Redline/amsoil/Motul pricing rather quickly....unless you find a "sale" Regular penzoil yellow bottle quart was priced at $7.39 at the local supermarket!!!!

I agree, but RL doesn't carry official API and ILSAC certs, that will always keep them off of many people's lists especially with cars under warranty.

In fact, RL, Amsoil and Motul are probably the only products I would use that don't carry those certs. In some cases I think the lack of certs is a good thing, but those cases are the minority.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
BTW, Motul's street oils do carry API certs. Only 300V lacks them.

300V is the only one that interests me in the least.
grin2.gif

As long as the boutique oils are not on the shelves of where the vast majority of people buy their oil, the big guys aren't interested in that market. Besides, whose to say, other than the competitors, that M1 or PP or GC aren't the best oils on the market.
Another thought, if the big brand oils come out with a better product, they would be admitting that they didn't have the best product already.

Last edited:
Well if they came out with something that was all PAO/Ester, with tons of Moly and ZDDP, and sold it for $10 a quart, I think there might be a market for that. They can label it as "Racing Oil" or "High Performance oil". There will always be consumers that will think expensive means better quality. I know all the tuner guys would buy it.

P.S. Motul does submit it's products for testing to the API, they just don't get the "For Gasoline Engines" thing apart from two of their oils. They do get the other API symbol. The circle that tells you the grade and viscosity. I wonder why they don't display it?

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseInfo.asp?LicenseNo=0609

From this long [censored] list.

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayInfo.asp?Info=BrandNames

Last edited:
The answer comes down to money. The market for those who will pay top dollar for the very best oil/lubricant is a very small group. The majors go where the volume is because that is where the money is. That is the only reason. Even if they're backwards integrated into a specific raw material, it still comes back to where they make their money.

Last edited:
90% of automobiles don't need the "bestest" oil so why make it if its going to increase the cost and we all know shops don't necessary carry the bestest oil but bulk oil that will suffice for most

How do you know that the boutique oils are in fact superior (as the OP assumes) to better known brands like Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, et. al.?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
How do you know that the boutique oils are in fact superior (as the OP assumes) to better known brands like Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, et. al.?

I'd venture to say factual data and test results.

Last edited:
$20 UOAs not obtained under controlled conditions, interpreted anonymously by amateurs on an Internet message board, do not count as "factual data."

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
$20 UOAs not obtained under controlled conditions, interpreted anonymously by amateurs on an Internet message board, do not count as "factual data."

Uh oh, now you've done it!
28.gif

But, you're somewhat correct. Just never thought someone here would post that - and live :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back