Why does oil need to be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot to add - it's had to fall back on manufacturer spec.s no matter how much one questions them. In the case of synlube, oil change tables are out the window and as the case of one of the posters, a shop may change-out the fill as regular maintenance or $ some may argue even at first glance of the dipstick, though by sight of color this to has been argued not to mean very much hense the questioning of it's meaning itself. Sssssooooooooooooo...

Maybe BITOG members should pony up enough money to put this stuff in someones car, including T.Dyson analysis. Spread around enough members it would not be much and might be worth the value in entertainment. Maybe buy a load of the stuff and do a sample every 5k miles and get a volunteer that drives a lot. It might end a lot of idle speculation and you might end up raising too much money.

""Question 1: Why did NASA start using their products?""

Do not be so gullable last I looked the space shuttle had NO internal cumbustion engine.

I have seen all kinds of snake oil come and go and ALL of them said they sold to this or that to various highly known companies WELL they may of sold a 5 gallon pail of window wash BUT not necessarily the product they are trying to sell you.

Look I have blended and formulated for over 32 years this oil maybe fine for a short 5-8K OCI I generally I like high moly and graphite oil Now on teflon that is a ?? since it will not wet or stick to oily metal what good is it?

Anyway the problem with this oil is not the formulation per se but he LONG life fill and forget never change out claimes thay CAN NOT be meet with 2007 oils let alone and oil that is ?? what 30 years or so old?? think about it.

If you want to pay $30 per quart of oil do its your business
I think this oil would be fine for 5-7K in a tight low oil cumsumption engine but not 50K

bruce

Anyway

Why don't you use duralube? Then you can skip oil altogether! I've seen that on TV-shop channel. Great, huh?

Lars, do a Google search for DuraLube. I think you will find a lot of negative results among people that have been using it. As I have said several thimes before, "THIS IS NOT THE CASE WITH SYNLUBE". However, I am the one using it, and I am also very satisfied with how it performs. I have driven 12000kilometers(7458 miles) now, and nothing negative to report yet.
I am going to do a VOA a bit earlier than I planned, just to see what amonunts of Mos2, Graphite and PTFE the oil contains. These colloids should make up 33% of the oil.

Only a few years ago, also Mos2 was considdered to be damaging engines. The research on the use of colloids in oils, haven't been massive. Synlube had an advantage, because of the results from German scientists, doing a lot of research before and during WW2.
This knowledge were used when they were developing Synlube during the years after WW2.
The formula being used today, came in 1996.

I will also considder the possibillity that they have some knowledge in the colloid area, that you don't possess.

When a car or engine manufacturer recommends synlube and no drains, that's when I will start believing in it.
Is it even API or Euro certified?

I found something here:

The facts are:

No vehicle or engine manufacturer has since 1969 denied ANY warranty repairs because SynLube™ was used in the vehicle or engine.

All SynLube™ products exceed by a great margin the MINIMUM Warranty Requirements for API, JASO, ACEA, CCMC and ILSAC specifications for lubricants.

No SynLube™ lubricated component has ever failed on any vehicle during its OEM Warranty period.

If you have more questions, Lars, I suggest you list them, and either call or e-mail it to Synlube.

I am sure he can answer your questions a lot better than I can.

Quote:

The facts are:

No vehicle or engine manufacturer has since 1969 denied ANY warranty repairs because SynLube™ was used in the vehicle or engine.

So I guess the last time it happened was in 1968?

I've been using a sunscreen lotion that prevents shark attacks - so far in almost 20 years of surfing I haven't been attacked.
wink.gif

Does Synlube have any certs? Anything? Has the formula been updated, every. Other oils have mad progress in the past 20 or 30 years and we are better off for that. Some oil formula updates appear to be the process of pulling out expensive parts when experience dictates that it's possible. But is there any info about what Synlube really is?

Why should they have any certification. Their products have been proven to work in tens of thousand of vehicles AND they also BACK their product 100% by a warranty. Mobil1 and Castrol don't give this warranty. They also let you deliver it back, if you are not satisfied.
Does Amsoil do this?
I still think that maybe a lot of guys are thinking a bit traditionally and "inside the box".
I respect that you are afraid to do something that others don't, but I am not so easily scared.
I like trying new things, but when I finally find something that seem to work well, I get frustrated when people that haven' tested it, say it doesn't work.

If you want to waste your money on snake oil, fine. Just don't expect everyone to pat you on the back for it. Now give it a rest, please.

Having a lot of solid lubes does not off set the fact that the carrier oil WILL degrade over time and get dirty...to include wear metals. There is no base oil on earth that will last forever, especially when subjected to acidic contaminants. And I still want to know what company makes this super base stock that NO ONE else has access to.

And a high solids content potentially precludes the use of fine by pass filters that do help to extend oil changes.

Tempest, this is your assumption. What if it is wrong?
Have you ever considdered this possibillity?.

I could be wrong too, and I will admit it then.

I have more than 1.3 million miles behind a steering wheel in different kind of vehicles(motorcycles, cars and trucks)and I think that every person driving a lot, will develop a pretty good "butt dyno", and also recognise different noises from engines. However, I still hold the possibillity open that my engine will be toast, within 20000 miles, because of Synlube.
However, it does seem that the engine in this car where I test it out, is improving and performing better than before.
I just report what I see.

Another thing that I have noticed, is the consumption of oil. I added one quart when I had been driving 7000 kilometers(4350 miles). This Add-oil cost 22 USD a quart. I have now been driving another 5000 kilometers(3107 miles), and the dipstick is full.
It can look like the oilconsumption is being reduced, though it is a bit early to say it is so. Also, the dipstick is shining, so it appears that this oil is keeping the metal free from deposits.

Am I annoying you, Tempest, because I don't report things that fits with your perception of what oil is doing and how it performs?

The only thing that is annoying is that you ignore my questions/answers and just move onto your next topic. And it is not about my opinion, it is about what anyone can learn from just looking at the UOA's on this site. Even oils as robust as Amsoil are having trouble @ 10K+, and your own UOA's show you that wear metals do accumulate in an engine. Synlube even states wear readings will be higher in an oil used for extend drains. There is a disconnect there somewhere.
confused.gif

In addition, Oxidation and Nitration values show how base does degrade. It can also be seen that viscosity can change quite a bit durring even
As far as consumption, what was the grade of oil that you had in the car before the Synlube which is a 50 weight I believe? If you are comparing it to a 30 weight...well...there is no comparison.
frown.gif

Who makes the base oil??

Well I'll be the first say I have considered SynLube myself and I don't have the knowledge base on oils thats why I look to the collective base here. I've talked to Synlube thru E-mail and he did make sense, I'm no expert in the oil game and find it strange that NO one has tried to copy this idea. Yes I'm also SCARED to death what "MAY" happen with its use. SynLube has assured me that they will pay any damage the product may cause, thats could be a long time with out my car. SynLube said they will replace the engine, I forgot to ask about labor cost too. I'm not good at the legal procedure to recoup my loss in the event they ( SynLube)backs out.

Thanks jonny-b for contributing to this forum about this product, with your first hand experience. Enjoy this thread its great to have one SynLube user with "big ones" to step forward.

OH, I forgot is there a link where the gentleman stated what it did to his engine. I like to read it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back