Why does Infiniti recommend dino over syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruby, 2004 Infiniti oil change intervals are based on two schedules:

3750 or 3 months: Severe conditions, stop n go, short trips, dusty conditions, etc...

7500 or 6 months: Normal operation. But why push it. I love how the G35 (6 speed manual) pushes with fresh juice
128.gif

The most reasonable priced Group III oil is SuperTech Synthetic at WalMart.

Do a search in the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) section for a Maxima that showed a decent report.

I suggest you join www.maxima.org and go directly to the Infiniti forum. I have a 95 Maxima SE with the VQ30DE, 3.0 litre engine. I have changed the oil religiously every 3,750 miles or sooner since day 1, even though the manual calls for 7,500 mile OCIs. The consensus on maxima.org is 3,750 mile OCIs for my car and I feel the same will apply for your 04 Infiniti.

The majority of the members of maxima.org use synthetic oil with Mobil 1 5w30 being the preferred oil.

I have used Castrol GTX 5w30 most of the time. However, I am about 550 miles away from completing my AutoRX rinse phase (I just turned 62,000 mostly highway miles on the clock) and will then be switching to Esso XD3, 0w30, PAO, full synthetic year round, with roughly 6,000 mile OCIs.

I think Mazda makes even stronger statments against synthetic oil. Someone at the shop has an RX8 and went through tow engines with dealer service, oil and filters. He switched to synthetic for the third engine and it's running fine. The third engine shows zero signs of problems and is driven much harder than the first two. The dealer has been telling him that synthetic is actually bad for the rotary engine. Makes you wonder what's going on, same as with Nissan.

Larryl,
The problem with Mazda RX8 is that they switched to 5w-20 oils when for the past 20+ years 20W-50 oil was used in previous generation engines.

More miles driven equals longer miles oci and shorter miles driven equals shorter ocis. That's why I like time-based intervals. 4 months seems ideal for everyone or am I stupid? Synth is a luxury and if you have to extend ocis to make it economical...it looses any real benefits, imo.

LarryL,
I did some research on your statement. Here is what I found.

A rotary engine is a modified four cycle engine that recommends the use of an API licensed motor oil for street applications. In a rotary engine, the oil lubricates the eccentric shaft bearings, thrust needle bearings and rotor bearings similar to a crank and rod bearing of a piston engine as well as being injected into the combustion chambers to lubricate the apex seals, corner seals, and side seals helping to create the sealing mechanism doing the equivalent job of the piston rings.

In the early development of synthetic oils decades ago, there were purportedly some seal compatibility issues. Today’s synthetic oils do not have the compatibility issues of the old oils.

The Mazda Factory racing departments recommend and use ‘synthetic’ oils including the winning 1991 Leman’s 20-G 4 rotor Mazda 787B. MazdaComp USA printed manual (now Mazdaspeed) recommends the use of synthetic oils for racing conditions.

I heard that synthetic oil doesn't burn like mineral based oils and will coat the inside of the engine with deposits. If this was a problem with synthetic motor oils in general, then all internal combustion engines using a ‘synthetic’ would experience increased deposits on internal surfaces. The opposite is actually the norm. Conventional four cycle motor oils will typically leave deposits of carbon and ash when injected into the rotary apex seal, corner seal, and side seal areas.

The rotary engine metered oil pump should inject an ashless oil designed to burn in the combustion chamber and use a four cycle oil in the crankcase for the eccentric shaft, rotor bearings, and thrust bearings. For the street, Mazda simplified the OE system to use just one oil, that being a typical four cycle oil for both the e-shaft as well as the combustion chamber.

Hope this clarifies some things.

Rotaries are a lot different, they actually inject oil to lube the apex seals. There is no conventional crankshaft, and no connecting rods or valvetrain of any sort.

Mazda has always said no to syn, all the way back to the old Rx-7 and earlier Cosmo's in the mid-1970's. The fear was syn would not work well with Mazda's oil injection system.

My '86 RX-7 spec'd 10-30 but no syn. But I ran M1 in it for 40k miles, never had a problem. But again, Mazda says no. It might not matter, it could be old advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back