Why does Infiniti recommend dino over syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Long time reader, first time writer.

I have a 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe. The manual calls for the use of 5-30w dino juice. I switched to M1 after 5K miles. My OCI is 4.5K miles and now have 22K miles.

Will my Nissian 3.5VQ engine benifit with the use of syn, or will dino suffice. Maybe the manufacturer doesn't want my engine to last as long as possible. I've been putting 30-40 miles daily (freeway miles) but will soon be doing only 5 miles a day.

I was contemplating using dino with more frequent changes (2.5-3K OCI) with my new up coming short trip driving schedule, due to an increased chance of fuel dilution, etc... Maybe i'll use a 50/50 Mobil syn/dino blend.

I plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off. Sentimental value. Your knowledgable input is much appreciated.
worshippy.gif

Why does Nissan recommend conventional over synthetic?

1 - To simplify things (In comparison, VW has an entire web page devoted to the numerous oils required by the various engines they sell!!!)

2 – Cost (dealer’s margin on oil changes)

3 - No need (SM oils are very, very good)

Synthetic will not make the average Nissan engine last any longer. A maintenance schedule, diligently followed, is the best thing you can do. Doesn’t Nissan recommend a 3750 mile OCI, anyway? Synthetics are only really needed for extreme high (internal engine) temp's or very low ambient temp's. In San Diego, any SM rated oil from Super Tech to Valvoline to Citgo to Castrol GTX, etc… will keep any Nissan engine running fine for 100's of 1000's of miles if changed per the manf's recommendation.

My wife has an '04 Quest with the same engine. I use either the 'Mobil' Super Tech or Trop Artic, and worry about other things like how tall to set the lawn mower and if the garlic I bought last week is still fresh.
grin.gif

Do they expressly forbid synthetic? Just curious what the exact words are. Thanks.

Synthetic oil will be less prone to sludge and break down if you want to go beyond 3000 mile change intervals. I can't imagine why you would want to change your oil every 2500 miles. Seems wasteful of time, money and natural resources.

Anyway please post the manual wording.

welcome.gif

I suspect that the wording is similar to Nissan's which just indicates that synthetics are not necessary. But the advantage for Synthetics is in running longer oil change intervals. And as Pablo indicates, dino's can go well past 2500. They aren't your father's oils anymore.

the1031don,

I now drive a F350 Power Stroke diesel, but my family and I have owned many Nissan vehicles(truck,SUV,cars). My wife owns a 1998 Infinity Qx4 (Upgraded Nissan PathFinder)with 78000 on the clock. We have never used a synthetic oil in our Nissan-Infinity vehicles, just a 5w30/10w30 dino oil. I do not knock the use of synthetic oil, just chose not to use it. Most of the oil changes were through the dealer using various oils they had in bulk (QS or mobil)and always the Nissan oil filter even on the Infinity as they Nissan/ Infinity are one in the same. The best thing I can offer is Nissan/Infinity make great long lasting vehicles. Like any thing else, just follow the oil change intervals using a decent dino oil and again the Nissan oil filter which is designed for the Nissan/Infinity vehicles and you shouldn't have any issues. The other routine maintance is also very important. Never at anytime did a Nissan /Infinity vehicle we owned have any major engine oil related issues, these are great vehicles and I have read there are many with 200,000 plus miles on them. When I owned a few Nissan trucks in the past, I must say they were tough trucks, very reliable. I used to log on to a forum I believe it was called Nissan 4x4.com which also had a forum for Infinity owners.

Good luck
Ruby

on the other hand,I have a 1996 infiniti q45 that has seen mobil 1 at 5,000 mile changes for the first 100,000 miles and Redline at 5-6000 mile changes for the last 69,000 miles and runs as new,burns ZERO oil between changes,and appears extremely clean in the valvetrain and camshaft areas.if you really want to keep this car til the wheels fall off,I would recommend a full synthetic oil.

qship1996

By using your choice of oil, you can't go wrong, but I think you have to be careful when Nissan/Infinity calls for OCI at 3750 or 3 months (WCF) to keep the warranty valid. I would think, if you do not follow the OCI guidelines you may be rolling the dice with any warranty repair work. If it were me, with a vehicle still under warranty, I would follow their rules just to be safe.

Ruby

Additionally,

If you change the oil your self or have another repair shop do it (not dealer) SAVE YOUR PAPERWORK/DOCUMENTATION the dealer will be asking if warranty oil related issues arrise.

From what I have observed around here with dino-based lubricant use, is that 4-5000 miles should work out ok. This I think, is espesially the case with the new SM rated oil.

With staying within the OCI that the manufacturer recommends (what was it again, 3-4K/3-4months?), the use of synthetic would probably be more of an overkill as one might be changing out oil with many miles left - honestly wouldn't know without doing UOA's.

I think a lot of us understand where you're coming from.
smile.gif

Oh no, another thread headed sidweays. If you use Mobil 1 in California for your Nissan, you sould at least get the SPF45 version during the summer. Repeat after me, Mobil 1 is a good oil and does not cause leaks. And, please do not use Mobil 1 as Vaseline, you might develop a rash.

My info might be outdated, and I haven't read a G35 manual, but...

5 miles a day qualifies for a 3,750mi OCI whereas 30-40 daily freeway miles qualifies for 7,500mi OCI according to Nissan/Infiniti.

Under your care the engine will probably outlast the rest of the car with either oil type. I guess a quality synthetic might keep the engine cleaner, which is a benefit, and it will not endanger your warranty.

don,

I am not sure what Nissan/Infiniti is thinking. I have used synthetics in my 2k Maxima since 12k miles. I started with Mobil 1, went to Amsoil, and I am now using Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC as it is affectionately called here.)

Your G35 prefers a "heavier" 30 weight but the manual allows for 10w-40 over 50 deg F. With the synthetic and a quality oil filter, you could go for a year interval.

steveh,

Your right, you can use synthetic but why when Nissan states you have to change your oil/oil filter every 3 months/3750 miles.

Ruby

I guess what I'm trying to say is, synthetics do offer better heat/cold protection along with other benifits than dino oils. But for warranty issues, follow the owners manuel for oil/oil filter changes. By doing this there is no room for the auto maker to void your warranty due to OCI.It's not like their saying if you use a synthetic oil you can double your OCI.At least when I owned two Nissan trucks in the past, I never found this waiver in the owners manuel.Just my opinion, nothing else.

Ruby

Ruby,Infiniti`s 3750/90 day interval is for severe,short distance type driving- the "normal" interval is 6 months,0r 7500 miles- see the owners manual for reference- as a realtor,my q45 sees about 5,000 miles every 3 months,and gets fresh redline and filter.

Replying to Pablo request for the precise language used in the 2004 Infiniti manual.

The Infiniti manual states "the use of mineral based oil is recommended".

I did not state the reasoning behind my question correctly. I was pondering the idea that dino may have some inherent, or innate qualities that may benefit my engine which a synthetic oil can't do for me. Such as, maybe condition seals, etc.. better than syn. That is why I was contemplating using a blend of both, to have the performance of a synthetic and whatever innate property found in mineral oil.

Or is this fact: Whatever dino can do, Syn can do better?

Who makes the best most reasonably priced group III?

Regards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back