Why do you switch oil so often???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see folks on here who go from whatever is on sale to syn, to dino and back again, etc...why not stay static for awhile and maybe have a "favorite few" and stick to that???

I wish I could go with whatever was on sale but then when you factor in syn to dino and back and name brand to house brand it just seems too "all over the place" for me...

is it really okay to "go with whatever's on sale"??? be it dino, syn whatever? Or do you guys at least stick to an OCI/OLM and then choose dino/syn/blend according to the OCI and stick to that formula despite maybe changing brands every now and then or what???

But then you won't find an oil that you really like at a competitive price. (For me it was the Phillips 66 TropArtic Semi-Syn @$1.79 qt....that I can't find anymore)

I think BITOG is to blame for some folks. Before BITOG I had long runs (many OCIs) on particular oils. Castrol GTX in the late 80s and early 90s. Amsoil mid-90's, M1 in the mid-late 90's thru about 2005. Then I'm was on BITOG and I rarely went more than two OCIs on same oil. Always something to worry about. Part per million this, part per million that, this chemistry, that chemistry. I've been less frequent on BITOG, but even when I am on here I've learned (I think) to tune certain things out. I'm presently pushing a 4.2 qt sump fill of PU 5w20 into the nether world. If I still let BITOG fester in my mind I'd go out there and change out the oil right now (it's 11:30 pm here).

But then again, maybe I should listen to BITOG about pushing PU to 13k... now I'm worried.

A motor oil is a motor oil. They all have the same chemistry. Mixing and matching different brand has no effect on lubrication efficacy. Shell oil won't suddenly separate if in a mixture with Chevron oil.

The key difference is the additive package that each manufacturer claims is better than the rest. This too is far fetched because there are no proprietary wonder molecules that are exclusive to a manufacturer. There are only a handful of compounds out there that will do detergent duty, serve as viscosity index improvers, etc. For example, do you think a liquid form of titanium is going to make an oil better? Or does it sound like it would make an oil better?

For example, it's like a drug. There is a type of drug, and there are brand names of it. For example, ibuprofen. There is Advil and there is Motrin. Same effect, different names.

Everyone has their preference. However, thankfully, an engine is not a human body so we can be a bit more flexible with it. It won't notice the difference if the name on the bottle was Castrol/Pennzoil/Mobil/Amsoil/Shell/Chevron/Valvoline. As long as it is of the correct viscosity, with the correct amount of additives, the engine will continue to go along smoothly and quietly.

Nowadays, conventional oils are getting quite comparable to synthetics. There are even conventional oils whose majority of base stocks are "Group III" variety...which is also the same base stock used in synthetic oils marketed as synthetics.

What this means is that...they come from the same family of molecules. Until we get into the world of esters, which are totally different in structure to an alkane, your engine won't notice the difference.

As long as the oil is API certified, it should be fine in the engine. Synthetic or conventional...doesn't matter. Synthetics are mainly marketed now for their longer drain intervals, due to their manipulation in the lab that allows for the molecules to be identical to each other. Also, manufacturers inflate them with more additives and market them as such. Sort of like a 911 and a Cayman. The Cayman will always be faster around the track. If it was given the same engine as in the 911 series, it would cannibalize the sales of the 911. So...the manufacturer handicaps it.

I could not resist 49 cents a quart Synpower, I could not walk away without buying some $2/qt PP or M1, or $3/qt PU. How do you say no to Peak oil FAR ? or 49 cents a quart Havoline and Chevron Supreme ?

When I paid full price I used Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic. I also tried several different oils and viscosity (0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, and 5w-40) to find one that gave better mileage, and reduce CSK, in my truck. All the oils gave the same mileage in my truck, but the Rotella T 5w-40 gave me 3mpg improvement in my motorcycle. Now I shop by value: Rebates = value

Rotella T6 5w-40 here-got enough to last me a while here.

But the full rebate for a 5 quart jug of g-oil? Couldn't pass that up.

The Camry I'm not sure how it still runs (then again, it's a toyota), and will burn anything you put in it through the tailpipe on a cold start, so that will get whatever is cheap ($2/quart mobil super is looking tempting right now).

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
What kills me you see folks dump oil under 1000 miles for the latest craze.

It just goes to show you how far reaching effects the marketing hand has on us (notice the sponsors).

We may think that this board is highly educated in oil, some folks on here are, but I see that a lot of members swallow the marketing claims as easy as the general public.

I remember a thread where someone got free oil change stickers from Pennzoil or Mobil (notice they advertise them here now) and the automatic praises for that oil just came out of nowhere. People where even proclaiming to use that oil for life because of that "generous act"
crazy2.gif
Brilliant move by the oil company, if you ask me.

Having said all thet, I may not agree with some views here, but at least we can still have fairly intelligent and well mannered discussions
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

I wish I could go with whatever was on sale but then when you factor in syn to dino and back and name brand to house brand it just seems too "all over the place" for me...

Is there any evidence, in the long run, that sticking with one brand makes any real difference?

If there isn't, then why not purchase whatever product happens to be least expensive while still meeting your needs and vehicles requirements?

I don't use synthetic, but I've switched brands dozens of times over my 48 year vehicle ownership history, and I have yet to have an oil related problem with an engine. From my perspective switching brands makes no difference in the longevity of an engine.

I'm pretty much a one-brand kind of oil guy. I used Castrol in my Corvette for 19 years, and switched it over to Mobil 1 last year to have a common oil with my Camaro.

I have used Mobil 1 in my primary cars since 1987.

I have been less brand-loyal with my diesel pickup. I have run Valvoline, Shell, and Mobil in it so far. Current oil is M1 TDT, which has so far demonstrated high consumption. I might switch to Rotella T6 or Schaeffer 9000 on the next change.

Now I'm planning to switch the Camaro over to Redline next week, which is a big step because that car has never had anything but Mobil 1 in the crankcase since it was built. I am switching because I have been assimilated by the BITOG.

I use full synthetic now and will continue to. But as far as a specific brand, I have been buying what is on sale. So far that has only been M1, Valvoline synpower, and Supertech. When the next oil changes come due I will use up the synpower in both vehicles. Then next, all the M1 will be used (25 qts). After that, who knows..... I'm not cheap but do like a good deal. I have no problem buying a 5 qt jug of M1 EP for $28 (just an example of a higher dollar oil) considering I went to the quick lube for years and paid way more for dino. But I've found some good deals lately and stocked up. I got the M1 5 qt jugs for $15 apiece on clearance. Can't beat that!! The Valvoline was $20 a jug. The Supertech full syn was $14 a jug.

I don't see the point in sticking with one brand if another brand is less expensive. Oil is oil.

Unless you're one of those people that thinks that "Super Extra Awesome Protection" is not a marketing term, but a measureable quality.

I dont think brand loyalty is very common any more. I used to use nothing but Qsgb/Shell Fire&Ice when I first started driving. Then went to mostly Pennzoil/GTX in later years. Now I use what ever I feel like using.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
But then you won't find an oil that you really like at a competitive price. (For me it was the Phillips 66 TropArtic Semi-Syn @$1.79 qt....that I can't find anymore)

Sam's Club has it by the case. I was going to get some last time. Is this stuff just as good as Motorcraft? They are essentially the same thing last I heard right?

To me, it makes sense to use whatever quality syn I can get on sale. I usually then stock up on a few jugs, and it's good for several OCIs. As far as I'm concerned, in my application, there is no significant difference among the name brand syns that I buy in terms of engine protection (oils like PP, QSUD, Syntec, SynPower). I use 5W-30, but once I can find 0W-30 at the same price and as readily available as the 5W-30, I'll make the switch. Not sure if I'm a fan of xW-20 oils. Did one OCI with a 5W-20 this winter, but that was when they were out of the 5W-30 that was on sale, so I was willing to give it a shot. I didn't lose sleep, but I didn't feel as comfortable going with a lighter viscosity, as the engine was back spec'd for it, rather than spec'd from the start.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What would make switching oil brands wrong? Why should I keep with one brand. I use any quality oil brand.

Some people have to buy their underwear at K-Mart and watch Judge Wapner at 5:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back