Why do people use the rear brake?

Ever since I learned how to ride, it's always been both brakes together. With ABS becoming mainstream on bikes, there's no reason NOT to get used to using both brakes all the time and as hard as needed since they will not lock up.
Personally I would not trust ABS 100% because no system is perfect. Learning how to progressively brake is still the most important skill IMO for braking in the shortest distance possible.

If you just grab the brake handle hard, you don’t give the suspension time to compress and transfer the weight to the front wheel, therefore it will not have the maximum grip otherwise it would have.
At this point the ABS kicks and saves you from wiping out, but your braking distance is greatly increased as a result. Motorcycle ABS systems are great, but they can only do so much given rider inputs.

After reading this now I am worried. Been riding in the dirt and on the street for many years. I always use both but maybe incorrectly. 🤔
For street, using both is preferred and recommended.
The issue that I often see is people using the rear by default first and then going for the front. That too me is a very dangerous habit.

Personally I would not trust ABS 100% because no system is perfect. Learning how to progressively brake is still the most important skill IMO for braking in the shortest distance possible.

If you just grab the brake handle hard, you don’t give the suspension time to compress and transfer the weight to the front wheel, therefore it will not have the maximum grip otherwise it would have.
At this point the ABS kicks and saves you from wiping out, but your braking distance is greatly increased as a result. Motorcycle ABS systems are great, but they can only do so much given rider inputs.
Totally agree - to me, "progressive braking" is "as hard as needed".

Most people don't brake enough (or early enough) because either they misjudge the appropriate speed for a corner or hazard that pulls out in front, or they fear braking hard thinking it'll cause them to low-side crash (in the instance of too fast for a corner) or flip over the bars if suddenly encountering a hazard.

In both cases - and probably others - the braking is insufficient and likely ends in some type of crash.

For street, using both is preferred and recommended.
The issue that I often see is people using the rear by default first and then going for the front. That too me is a very dangerous habit.
Yeah, rear is definitely not the default. I always ride with front as normal gentle braking and bring in the rear for oh sh@# or purposefully getting the back to slide.

Almost front only for me.

Interesting, because I mountain bike a ton as well, and with that, I nearly only use the rear brake. I am lucky that the front brake on a motorcycle is my right hand, and the rear brake on a mountain bike is my right hand...easy to get it right. I can see on a cruiser where you may use both brakes, but on anything sporty, the front is the MAJORITY of your braking power.

My Vitpilen has ABS on front and rear, but my MG is old school...I will touch the rears about once a ride to make sure they are clean and ready to be used in emergency, but it certainly is not used often.
Same here. Front because im used to using my right hand to brake, both for faster stops or slippery surfaces

When I was taking the MSF I ended up using the front brake too much during one of the final tests and failed, basically the bike locked up and fell over sideways. I ended up retaking it and passed, the biggest problem is pavement isn't near as forgiving compared to riding off-road which is exactly what the instructors noticed the most problems were the ones coming from dirt bikes. You basically get only 2 days of training with their motorcycle which isn't really enough, they teach you the fundamentals and that's pretty much it.

Once you've been riding for awhile you really get a feel for everything and becomes second nature, I use the rear brake a lot but not by itself.

I don't suppose this is as much of an issue on modern bikes but before 1980 it was uncommon to have the brake light actuated by both the front brake and the rear brake. I don't recall front brakes having a brake light switch back in the 60's and 70's although my 79 BMW does. Applying both ensures the brake light gets illuminated.
My 1976 Yamaha RD400 front brake lever switch lights the brake light. It also has self cancelling turn signals (based on distance travelled), which is a cool feature for that time period. Even my newer bikes never had that feature.

I always use both the front and rear brakes, typically a blend of 70% front, 30% rear.

Back