Why Do People Complain About The Glock's Grip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood this. And the more I hear it, the less I understand it, and the more foolish it sounds. All this complaining how Glock pistols have, "the wrong grip angle". What is a right one? Just because something is different than what you're used to does not make it, "wrong". I hear these people constantly complain that when they point a Glock they're looking at the top of the slide, instead of the sights. And somehow because of that the grip angle is, "wrong". Well how about this for a novel idea... Move your wrist so the sights are actually where they're supposed to be.

These same people don't complain when they transfer from a Ruger or Colt single action to a semi auto. Why not? The grip angle is far more acutely different. It seems they only whine when it's a Glock. It makes zero sense. The 1911 grip angle (all 1911 variants, Springfield XD, etc.) is more nearly square to the slide (about 18 degrees off square), while the Glock grip angle (Luger, Steyr M series, H&K P7, Ruger Mk II, etc.) is more raked (about 22 degrees off square). Are these people really trying to say they can't shoot the gun properly because the grip angle is different by only 4 degrees? That's ridiculous.

If you don't like the looks of the gun, that's fine. If you think it's too expensive to fit you're budget, that's also an acceptable reason to not want one. Even if for some reason you like your pistols with 27 different levers, buttons, and grip safeties. I can understand that. But to whine about the grip angle is just plain foolish. People aren't born with fused wrist joints. I own all but countless handguns in most every conceivable action type, size, and grip. I can go from one to the other by simply adjusting my grip and my wrist to suit that particular handgun.

And it's not as if Glock just decided to manufacture this pistol on a whim, without giving any thought to the grip, or the angle. Gaston Glock consulted many doctors, and did many studies concerning the physiology of people and the use of their hands before settling on the grip angle of the Glock. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but it would seem after all of that, along with the fact millions of Glock handguns have been successfully put into service over the last 30 years, that there is nothing "wrong" with the grip angle. Only with the shooters who cannot adjust to using the gun properly.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's a personal preference and your sounding off like a Glockaholic.

They never say that. I can buy into "personal preference" all day long. But preferring one thing over another does not make your opposing choice "wrong". I'm not a "Glockaholic". Yes, I own several of them, but they amount to a fraction of my overall handgun collection. Both of my vehicles are white. My neighbor prefers blue. His are not "wrong".

I think you may be taking "wrong" too literally. Perhaps they just mean wrong for them.

Personally it is the shape of the grip I don't care for, not the angle.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's a personal preference and your sounding off like a Glockaholic.

They never say that. I can buy into "personal preference" all day long. But preferring one thing over another does not make your opposing choice "wrong". I'm not a "Glockaholic". Yes, I own several of them, but they amount to a fraction of my overall handgun collection. Both of my vehicles are white. My neighbor prefers blue. His are not "wrong".

If you're looking for a lot of feedback, you need to take your "personal preferences/observations" to some of the large gun forums. I have a lot of handguns also, and have had a couple Glocks but not any more for simple reason they didn't feel right in my hand. And they are *****! 1911's suit me, Kahr's suit me, lightweight revolvers suit me.

If it is a semiautomatic pistol and was not designed by John Browning, I want nothing to do with it.

Wheelguns forever.
smile.gif

I respectfully disagree with a lot of the OP, however I also believe your point is greatly exaggerated.

I have shot and carried Glocks on duty and off for decades. They do typically come up with the front sight initially a bit high and many other guns do not. Don't think I've ever heard anyone "whine" about it, or complain they were too weak to move the sights into line, but it is a valid point when comparing Glocks to other weapons when minutia is being discussed. They are not perfect. I do love them though but if I bring up a 1911 or a Sig P320 for example I am already looking right down the sights. Minutia but a valid point of comparison. If I shoot nothing but Glocks for a while it tends to go away, but I like other weapons too much.

In my opinion the "low and left" tendency for right handed shooters with Glocks is a much more valid beef than the sight line issue.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I have a lot of handguns also, and have had a couple Glocks but not any more for simple reason they didn't feel right in my hand. And they are *****!

Fine. I can accept ugly along with the gun, "not feeling right". That's as acceptable as the day is long. My beef is many of these people instead blame the gun by saying it's built "wrong". If you have a size 10 foot, don't complain if you buy a size 9 shoe.

Another thing I find funny is the Luger grip angle is very similar to a Glock. As are the Ruger Mark pistols. And you rarely hear anyone complaining about either of them. In fact the Luger is constantly referred to as one of the most natural pointing pistols ever manufactured.

I like the Glock grip angle.

Fits my hand perfectly, points naturally.

Simple, reliable, easy to shoot.

What's not to like?

Looks?

You've got different criteria for tools than I do...

Last edited:
Show me someone who complains about the "Grip" and I will show you someone who would have sore arms and sore shoulders for a week after a 1/2 hour instruction of a good combat stance/arm position. Its extremely painful going from a JoeSixpack position to a correct one.

I don't like the feel of the Glock grip when I fire the gun and the muzzle flip for some reason is bothersome for me, at least. I have to think more about what I'm doing when I shoot the Glock.

I was trained in the military to use a 1911 and carried one in Vietnam. For me it points well and I'm very confident and accurate with the 1911. Plus, I've shot a lot of ammo through several 1911's. Sometimes the handgun you've become very familiar with colors your preference but after the first of the year I'll have access to several new Glocks and a Sig in 357.

I agree that the different Glocks are all very good, reliable and accurate once you've practiced a bit.

Right now, I've been shooting a Ruger SP101 in 327 mag and I really like this combination. Has anyone else out there shot the 327 mag?

The only people that complain about them are the ones too cheap to buy one.

There i said it!

And no, I do not own one Glock.

I looked at alot of handguns before I bought my Glock 26. The Glock feels the most precision,solid,fits my hand perfectly,and I love the short trigger travel. I looked at a Ruger LCP and it felt very flimsy and unprecision. Most of all I hated the super long trigger travel. My next gun will be some kind of revolver,probably a 357.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but it would seem after all of that, along with the fact millions of Glock handguns have been successfully put into service over the last 30 years, that there is nothing "wrong" with the grip angle. Only with the shooters who cannot adjust to using the gun properly.

You seem to be putting a lot of words in a lot of peoples' mouths. I'm also not sure of your point. Why does it matter what someone else thinks?

You mentioned the Ruger Mk pistols. For this EXACT same reason (grip angle), my first .22 pistol was a Ruger 22/45 and not a Mk III. This is probably the best (and maybe only) example of nearly the same gun being offered in two different grip types. I chose the one I liked the best. We're all free to do that...right?

Gun brand fans sometimes spend a lot of time and energy (435 words in this case) trying to understand why someone else might not like them. So what if someone else thinks the grip angle is "wrong"? Let 'em think that -- it doesn't negatively affect you in any way. Some people like manual safeties and some don't. Great. Some people like .45ACP and some prefer 9mm. Great. Some people like revolvers and some like semi-autos. Great. We're all supposed to be on the same team, here. We all shoot and enjoy firearms. There's enough in this world to get riled up over -- someone's brand preference in a handgun shouldn't be a point of division, in my humble opinion.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
There's enough in this world to get riled up over -- someone's brand preference in a handgun shouldn't be a point of division, in my humble opinion.

Brand preference is fine. Just don't tell me that the design is "wrong" or "defective". (I've heard both countless times). No one can shoot a defective handgun. Millions worldwide can shoot Glock's well.

I've generally found that sig and glock "feel best" in my hand. Problem is, that's not an objective statement.

Yes, I like the look and feel of 1911, H&K, etc, and can shot them well, but there's something about the others.

Just like no two hands are alike in size, grip, etc, there may be no universal best.

That said, it's interesting to consider the general trades related to anatomy and how the human-machine interface works...

Only a few months ago, I would not have given Glock a single glance, much less a second one. After owning a Glock 26 back in the early 1990's (it was the first "version" of a 26), I hated it and sold it shortly afterwards. Fast forward thirty odd years and I now own 2 G19s, a G27 (with conversion barrel for 9mm) and a Glock 23--all in Gen 4. I, too, shot low and left (more left than low) when I started shooting my G19, but that was all me versus the pistol. I have very large hands which should find me hating the finger grooves (according to the web lore), but I find them perfect. In the end, it is all about personal preference over the design of the pistol. I would daresay with few exceptions there are no "bad" grips only those which take a little time and practice to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back